Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Always Next Year

Is the stadium expansion now only a dream

10 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

It’s very much unwarranted at the moment. Makes total sense to pause it. So our club will probably double the size of the extension.

The club is not going to pause it if we get relegated. The aim will be to return to the PL as soon as possible and take advantage of the extra revenues that a larger ground will bring. Abandoning the expansion now because we've been relegated would be a tacit admission that we've lowered our expectations and no longer have any ambition. That's not going to happen.

2 hours ago, Tuna said:

Pointless unless in the Premier League.

When we return then it will be absolutely required and needs to go ahead in readiness,just like Fulham did and now reaping the rewards. 

Susan Whelan was asked this question at the webinar before planning approval was given and basically said that league status had no bearing on the plans. 

• Like 2

King Power own the stadium and I presume the rest of the site not Leicester City Football Club so it's down to if KP still see the whole project as good financial investment. Bearing in mind the stadium expansion wasn't going to happen unless they had agreement for the rest of the build.

They've also already spent big on buying up the land and all the up to date development costs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I would think that all eventualities would have been factored in, whilst drawing up the plans!!!

The loan has been taken out and any further delay would be costing more money, with infrastructure the only project that it can be used for.

With the utmost respect, will it ****! 🤣 Maybe financially there will be a clause that the lender has in but our lot will likely have skimmed right over it. They clearly spent most of the season either thinking it was all fine or the strategy of crossing their fingers was found to be insufficient. 

Personally speaking, they can shive their shiny new east stand facade and extra seats to sit empty, right up their wazoo if we go down. 

I know there is ffp to think about but if they don't go balls deep on squad spending and coaching staff, but spend a fortune on this, I will be livid. And they wouldn't like me when I'm a tad miffed. Harrumph! 

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

The club is not going to pause it if we get relegated. The aim will be to return to the PL as soon as possible and take advantage of the extra revenues that a larger ground will bring. Abandoning the expansion now because we've been relegated would be a tacit admission that we've lowered our expectations and no longer have any ambition. That's not going to happen.

I don't need any more proof about the lowering of expectations after this season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevosevic said:

That’s not really true.

You build your stadium up for the next 50 years

But what? What if we don't go up again in those years?

Some of the biggest grounds in the Country are in the football league and don't get filled. Sheffield Wednesday, Port Vale, Cardiff. Don't want us to end up with a half filled big ground like this. Even Leeds never used to open parts of Elland Road up when they were in the Championship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

Should've happened before the training ground tbh. The ground expansion actually brings in more money, the training facilites are just a lavish expense of little value.

Developing/attracting young players to sell for higher value would bring in potentially more money. Admittedly that hasn't happened yet.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

It's not even really the ground capacity I'm most bothered about. Leicester is a ghost town when it comes to leisure and venues, so the creation of the adjacent complex is massively needed for the city as a whole.

If we lose that, we're only going to fall further behind regional alternatives as a place to come and spend time.

That’s the big thing for me. That complex changes the entertainment scene. The city can finally host gigs, concerts and a whole manner of other events. It’s a huge plus. If I were them, **** the stadium off for now, and build this arena. Even in the championship that should be a good investment. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

But what? What if we don't go up again in those years?

Some of the biggest grounds in the Country are in the football league and don't get filled. Sheffield Wednesday, Port Vale, Cardiff. Don't want us to end up with a half filled big ground like this. Even Leeds never used to open parts of Elland Road up when they were in the Championship.

Leeds were only averaging 21k 5-6 years ago

All came back out the woodwork though 

• Like 1

Tempting fate here, but any spell out of the PL is likely to between 1 and 10 years. So investment in infrastructure is exactly the right thing to do. 

However, it's all very well having funding in place...but how do we pay it back? I was guessing from the get go the whole complex was to be funded by bonds - presumably from Chinese investors and/or overseas trust funds of 'unknown origin' .....hence why the development is retail/residential/leisure mix