Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Always Next Year

Is the stadium expansion now only a dream

26 minutes ago, MattFox said:

Leeds were only averaging 21k 5-6 years ago

All came back out the woodwork though 

Exactly, but don't shout it to loud because apparently that never happened to the greatest support in the CountryTM.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

It's not even really the ground capacity I'm most bothered about. Leicester is a ghost town when it comes to leisure and venues, so the creation of the adjacent complex is massively needed for the city as a whole.

If we lose that, we're only going to fall further behind regional alternatives as a place to come and spend time.

I actually said at the time of proposal.  The council should part fund it . The amount of money a arena/conference centre would bring too the town centre over a whole year would be massive. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

As pointless as the training ground. 

Agree. Why do we need so many pitches there?  The up-keep must be very expensive and I doubt some are ever used.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

More like a pipe dream.

What kind of pipe dream goes through all the red tape and hoops over a number of years? What would be the point of expending all that time and energy if it was just a pipe dream? 

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What kind of pipe dream goes through all the red tape and hoops over a number of years? What would be the point of expending all that time and energy if it was just a pipe dream? 

When we were going through all the "red tape and hoops" the situation was very different. 

Of course, it's possible this project will go ahead but more immediate expenditure needs to be on what will be a depleted squad, probably playing in the second tier. 

That, to me, is a more pressing matter.

7 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

When we were going through all the "red tape and hoops" the situation was very different. 

Of course, it's possible this project will go ahead but more immediate expenditure needs to be on what will be a depleted squad, probably playing in the second tier. 

That, to me, is a more pressing matter.

I'm guessing the funds in place are already ring-fenced for the stadium, perhaps over several years. 

The depleted squad I imagine will get replenished by outgoing player sales and wages freed up by those out of contract (Tielemans, Evans, Mendy etc). 

I don't buy that because we are relegated the expansion should be scrapped. It wouldn't make sense. 

• Like 1

I imagine it would be even more likely to happen if we go down as logistically they can justify shutting the entire stand for season like Fulham did and others have done previously. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sampson said:

Should've happened before the training ground tbh. The ground expansion actually brings in more money, the training facilites are just a lavish expense of little value.

We even had the perfect chance to expand as well given we had games behind closed doors. Was a rare opportunity. Think we'd already started on the training ground by then though.

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

I'm guessing the funds in place are already ring-fenced for the stadium, perhaps over several years. 

The depleted squad I imagine will get replenished by outgoing player sales and wages freed up by those out of contract (Tielemans, Evans, Mendy etc). 

I don't buy that because we are relegated the expansion should be scrapped. It wouldn't make sense. 

I'd say they are ring fenced.

Plus they can also go Interest only for a few years until things improve financially.

This way they can use available funds to bounce right back to the Premiership provided they appoint the right manager.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fox92 said:

But what? What if we don't go up again in those years?

Some of the biggest grounds in the Country are in the football league and don't get filled. Sheffield Wednesday, Port Vale, Cardiff. Don't want us to end up with a half filled big ground like this. Even Leeds never used to open parts of Elland Road up when they were in the Championship.

...if it was not for our owners we would still be rambling around in the second tier of League football!!!

We were lucky that they chose to invest in our club, take a look around and explain why, why would you have chosen Leicester City to invest in and not another club, where they may have had a football history of success, but had lost their way.

We got lucky!!

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

There are several factors, if KP still want to make the club bigger and better, ala the training ground. Then they could just go ahead with or without the premier league if they have the stomach for the debt personally. As clearly it can’t be borrowed on the clubs income any more, or at least for a while. 

If that’s the case, do it now so it’s ready when you go up and you have a groundswell of interest again. 

It’s an interesting one, if it does go ahead then it really cements their intent for the club and their willingness to continue as they have been doing. 

...I thought the loan was already in place!!!

Surely it would be a debt with a payback period over a short period of time, say 5 years.