Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

I liked Harvey and am disappointed we’ve sold a home-grown player to Oil FC but £40M feels like a decent chunk given our current position.

At times, he was fanatic for us but in equal measure incredibly frustrating to watch due to his lack of composure and end product - which tbf he had improved over the last couple of seasons.

He did have a tendency to go missing in games and can be easily marked out of games if there’s no space in behind the defence for him to run into.

Aside from him being proven in the league and relatively low transfers fee, I’m not sure it’s a great signing for Newcastle. 

Good luck Harvey. 

Think we've had the best out of Barnes, took him ages to learn how to track back, then he opted out of doing it, and when he went missing in games he was frustrating to say the least. 

Lots of positives for the lad but I'd like to see a replacement that has some tenacity and generally shows himself to want the ball and get involved more often.

Be interesting to see if Newcastle can keep him out of the pubs and clubs as he seems to like a pint or six. Good luck to him. 

Edited by SK3Blue

Misses more than he converts probably one of the most frustrating players we had at City in a long time potential Is there but he just can’t take a man on if he scored half the ones he misses he would be a 120m player but  I think 40m is great and goes into reinvestment just soumare vesty nacho daka ward and praet to get rid of now 🤣

9 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

If he’s gone on the cheap then it’s a surprise that none of the above thought it worth making an offer.

assume the player didn’t want to go to London (or he’s sold on newcastle and their ‘project’)

clubs won’t bid at all unless they’ve had discussions with agents that the player would come 

• Like 2

Just now, st albans fox said:

assume the player didn’t want to go to London (or he’s sold on newcastle and their ‘project’)

clubs won’t bid at all unless they’ve had discussions with agents that the player would come 

or the agent has learnt other clubs won`t entertain the asking price

Multiple reports on £38m now

its reasonable money of course,  but feels a bit cheap for someone as effective 

There was an interesting article in The Athletic, the broad summary was that although he wasn’t flashy he was effective and a master of the the ‘give and go’

He’d have ripped it up in the Championship,  but the price of relegation is the need to sell

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I don't know if it's because we've been relegated or I'm just falling out of love with all but I don't care when a player leaves any more. Even if it's a player like Barnes. 

Always frustrated the hell out of me with how limited he is but would pop with a goal. 

Same. I don’t get attached to them anymore especially after last season, the only one which will hurt is when Vards leaves.

As for Harvey, we’ll miss him for sure, criminally underrated by some on here. But as you say, frustrating as hell and I wont miss screaming at him every week to take his man on only for him to cut back and play an easy pass. If they manage to stick a rocket up his arse in Newcastle he’ll be fantastic for them. 

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

I do not know but I assume to get the level of rebuild we have committed too, we need to raise cash from our most valuable assets. Barnes lack of defensive discipline was always going to reduce his ceiling price, as exciting as he can be

I'm not suggesting we sell him for 100 milli. Just more than 40, especially to a cash rich club like Newcastle :dunno: because he's worth more than that, regardless of relegation. I'm probably his biggest critic aswell to be fair. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

24 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I don't know if it's because we've been relegated or I'm just falling out of love with all but I don't care when a player leaves any more. Even if it's a player like Barnes. 

Always frustrated the hell out of me with how limited he is but would pop with a goal. 

See you when we get promoted again.

Don't get me wrong I like the lad, when he's on it he's on it, but as so many others have said he's so inconsistent and seems to be the sort of player who if the first touch or run isn't there in the first 10 mins of a game, he shuts up shop 

Inevitable he was always going to leave, out of him and Madders I reckon his will be the most successful move going forward 

Wish him all the best 

Just now, ARTY_FOX said:

I'm not suggesting we sell him for 100 milli. Just more than 40, especially to a cash rich club like Newcastle :dunno: because he's worth more than that, regardless of relegation. 

I think larger numbers would have been possible if we had been in the EPL (We would not be selling him then anyway) and he had a bit more to his game. Not doing him down, he was good for us, a little one dimensional at times, and a bit remiss on defensive duties, but you simply cannot dispute his goal output.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I'm not suggesting we sell him for 100 milli. Just more than 40, especially to a cash rich club like Newcastle :dunno: because he's worth more than that, regardless of relegation. I'm probably his biggest critic aswell to be fair. 

It's really easy to get worked up and believe we should have got more. But we haven't got a single clue about any of the facts, I wish it was that easy and simple. I know his performances warrant a large sum, which relatively speaking we did. 

One obvious factor is one club bid and it appears from all the press that they had come up from the lowly figure of around £25m to £30m, there is zero reason to expect they'd be going higher and with no other teams bidding our negotiating position is extremely weak. So we are where we are. Move on and reinvest. 

Edited by Lesta Legend

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I think larger numbers would have been possible if we had been in the EPL (We would not be selling him then anyway) and he had a bit more to his game. Not doing him down, he was good for us, a little one dimensional at times, and a bit remiss on defensive duties, but you simply cannot dispute his goal output.

I think we all knew our best players would be going. I just think there's more we could extract for him. If ffp is as big of a problem as some on here believe it to be, we should be getting as much as we can.