Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

6 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Its out of Leicesters hands. Dont help with euros next year if he wants to stand a chance of being part of that squad he needs to playing premier league football to be noticed by Southgate.

It's not out of our hands as he's under contract for another two years. He'll only be permitted to leave if we receive an offer we deem acceptable.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

That makes it more complex, sure, but it doesn't guarantee a sale. And I don't think Barnes would do a Fofana anyway - I think the club means too much to him to do that.

No he wouldn't, but it would take the edge of his game and that is too much of a risk. Maresca needs 100% from all his players.

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

That makes it more complex, sure, but it doesn't guarantee a sale. And I don't think Barnes would do a Fofana anyway - I think the club means too much to him to do that.

You would need a lot of convincing to make to stay especially if West Ham offer to better his wages, mention European football next season and small chance of getting enough game time to help pursuit a return to the England squad. 

The only card up our sleeve is, is that we can remind him Rice is set to leave. Which is the heartbeat of that team, they already struggled enough last season, could be in a relegation battle. 

3 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Its out of Leicesters hands. Dont help with euros next year if he wants to stand a chance of being part of that squad he needs to playing premier league football to be noticed by Southgate.

He wont figure on the euros.  If the new manager wants him to stay we have to say so and offer new deal.  I expect hes not on a packet. Of he don't sign then sell him next summer

16 hours ago, dmayne7 said:

But they can, that was my point. I don't think anyone can dismiss out of hand somebody's argument that Barnes is better than Grealish or vice versa.

By the same token to the above, Barnes is quicker, much better finisher, better weaker foot and an absolute god at the give an go in the box. Point is, he has superior stats (goals more impressive than assists) from fewer games, in a an awful team. If you just went off that, he's not even a bit better than Grealish, but a significantly better. Which is why nuance and looking beyond stats comes into it. But it's also down to roles in teams. Grealish is infinitely a better player in Man City's system than Barnes could ever be, no doubt. But equally, Barnes would most likely be miles better than Grealish could be in a Liverpool team for example because he can do things that Grealish can't. Whilst playing in the same position, their roles are quite different and that's why I don't think you can categorical say one is better than the other (even if I think most of us would accept that Grealish is currently the better player).

Barnes was crap for most of the season and still ended up with those numbers when we got relegated. Imagine what would happen if he found a manager who could polish those rough edges!

We agree on most points, but Grealish ( up to now) has proven to be the much better player. Sorry, that can’t be disputed. 
Admittedly, I don’t watch a lot of him , or other teams nowadays, only us, but my memory is that he is a good finisher.

He would be very good in any system, in any team - didn’t he have a huge contribution in keeping a poor Villa team up? 
Anyway, I’ve just watched the video of Enzo at Seagrave, and on appearance alone I’m impressed- let’s hope he can persuade Harvey and our best players to stay, change the spirit and dynamics and get us straight back up.

On 21/06/2023 at 08:53, An Sionnach said:

No he wouldn't, but it would take the edge of his game and that is too much of a risk. Maresca needs 100% from all his players.

For that he needs 100% new players.

Ours have been missing for 18 months now and I genuinely expect them to start the season sulking, licking their wounds, feeling sorry for themselves and thinking that they are better than The Championship despite being responsible for us being there.  I really can't see this mob being galvanised or motivated and there is not a single one that I am bothered about retaining.  I expect those that stay to get a rude awakening.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, murphy said:

Ours have been missing for 18 months now and I genuinely expect them to start the season sulking, licking their wounds, feeling sorry for themselves and thinking that they are better than The Championship despite being responsible for us being there.  I really can't see this mob being galvanised or motivated and there is not a single one that I am bothered about retaining.  I expect those that stay to get a rude awakening.

They'd be motivated to get a 30% to 50% payrise should we go back up.

Everyone blamed Rodgers for the way we played, now he's gone and seems the players are to blame.

2 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Everyone blamed Rodgers for the way we played, now he's gone and seems the players are to blame.

Rodgers sucked the life out of most of the players 

maresca has the job of bringing them back at a lower level - difficult 

1 hour ago, hackneyfox said:

Why weren't they motivated to avoid a 30-50% pay cut then?  

Yes, I blame Rodgers and I also blame those gutless players.  The two aren't mutually exclusive.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, murphy said:

From listening to Enzo, I can’t see that being the case, it seems if he gets any hint of someone not giving 100% then you won’t be playing regardless of who you are.

8 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

From listening to Enzo, I can’t see that being the case, it seems if he gets any hint of someone not giving 100% then you won’t be playing regardless of who you are.

Players like barnes will not attract big clubs given their inconsistent form.   Barnes needs a really full on season to redeem himself 

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

Good news and great source

If Barnes does wish to stay by any chance, then we are going to have a 4-3-3 system to accommodate him as opposed to a 3-4-1-2 where he could be deployed as one of the front 2!!!

Playing the 4-3-3 means we do away with the #10 role and use 2 #8s with a DM. Barnes is a wide Forward (left)  Irankunda on the right with Nacho in the #9 role.

Iversen

Ricardo         Souttar               Julio              Giles

Fernandez                    Kaba                        KDH

Irankunda                      Nacho                      Barnes

Tbf, he’s not the only person to have said the Barnes wants to stay, being a local lad, and perhaps his wages aren’t as affected as some, there maybe something in it, and if there is it’s very likely to leak. Remember when we got relegated and Piper wanted to stay.

anyway if he stays, I’d play him in 4-1-2-3

Iversen
Justin Souttar Faes. VK

Hamza

Praet.      KDH

Ricardo.    Daka.     Barnes

• Like 1