Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Didn't he get something daft like 10 goals and 6 assists in half a season in the Championship in 2018/19 and that's before he learnt how to finish?

He'd be an absolute disgrace at this level, it would be the most goals and assists a winger has ever scored at Championship level and he'd still get vilified on here by the usual prats.

Seemed like weekly it was a goal or assist for him!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Didn't he get something daft like 10 goals and 6 assists in half a season in the Championship in 2018/19 and that's before he learnt how to finish?

He'd be an absolute disgrace at this level, it would be the most goals and assists a winger has ever scored at Championship level and he'd still get vilified on here by the usual prats.

That was before his injury, I find he's more tentative than he used to be since. He's also quite slim now and doesn't have the ability to bustle his way past opponents as much as he did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I'm afraid Vards is past it. He isn't going to tear it up in the Champs. He won't play many 90 mins and he won't start every game. 

You’d be a fool to ever write Vardy off.

• Like 3

madness that some people genuinely want barnes gone. 

You could argue we currently have  3 of the best 4 players in the championship in our squad. ( Nacho, Barnes, Maddison & JWP)  If we could keep hold of 2 of them... surely we'd have enough talent to get out with ease. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's just had his best goalscoring season in the PL. He'd score 20 and assist 15 in the Championship with his eyes closed.

It's motivation though with him, isn't it? Stories of him not being too bothered and out on the razz all the time probably show his mentality. Is he going to be willing to dig in and roll up his sleeves? I don't see it. 

I've always been an advocate of Harvey and think there's a gear in there that can make him a 25-30 goal contributions a year player in the Prem but now doubtful we'll ever see that. £40m in our current situation would be pretty much guarantee a couple of players who could achieve great numbers in this league, and most likely with a lot of change to spare.

11 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

madness that some people genuinely want barnes gone. 

You could argue we currently have the 3 of the best 4 players in the championship in our squad. ( Nacho, Barnes, Maddison & JWP)  If we could keep hold of 2 of them... surely we'd have enough talent to get out with ease. 

Not only enough talent to get out of the league but a good base to go again in the PL. we know for the last time getting that right is immensely difficult. Having guys like Kel, Barnes still within the squad would be huge. 

It’s madness that people “don’t rate” a winger, home grown academy product with the figures he’s got. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Would be amazing if he stayed, can’t see it though. Probably more of a message to try and get a local move AKA Villa.

Precisely the reason he should stay. Top 6-7 ‘financial’ clubs I understand but Villa? May as well stay with us for 1 season and be back in the Prem than sign for them 

5 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

Your last sentence is probably true, but your first two are not. 

what happened last season to make you think Vards is NOT passed it? I mean, he played quite often and only scored 3 goals all season.

3 hours ago, MPH said:

what happened last season to make you think Vards is NOT passed it? I mean, he played quite often and only scored 3 goals all season.

For most of the season was playing in a woefully underperforming team and for a manager who refused to play to his strengths (and you could see his frustration about that). When Smith came in, he looked much sharper and more dangerous. With my own eyes I saw him outpace the Leeds and Everton defences to score very typical Vardy goals. Did you somehow miss those? 

If it’s true he wants to stay then I’m over the moon but obviously we need to get him on a longer contract, say a year extra initially with big bonus if we get promoted. He’d be one of the best to ever play at championship level next season, but we need to get the right formation and players around him to truly suit his game. 

many have said it before including myself but I really see him as potentially a striker but he needs to work on his lay offs / switches/ hold up play. He’s most dangerous when in and around the box, not at the half way line when he’s got 2/3 defenders to deal with.

Edited by lcfc sheff

8 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

If it’s true he wants to stay then I’m over the moon but obviously we need to get him on a longer contract, say a year extra initially with big bonus if we get promoted. He’d be one of the best to ever play at championship level next season, but we need to get the right formation and players around him to truly suit his game. 

many have said it before including myself but I really see him as potentially a striker but he needs to work on his lay offs / switches/ hold up play. He’s most dangerous when in and around the box, not at the half way line when he’s got 2/3 defenders to deal with.

It’s not true.

7 hours ago, dylanlegend said:

Precisely the reason he should stay. Top 6-7 ‘financial’ clubs I understand but Villa? May as well stay with us for 1 season and be back in the Prem than sign for them 

I’m not sure it’s going to be as easy as you have just suggested. I’d still be very shocked if he is here in August.

It's easy to say until someone shows a genuine interest in you but it will be great if he did stay and I'd respect him for not forcing a move. But if he doesn't sign a new contract and moves for free in a couple of years does it really help us? 

In some ways him willing to stay says more about his mentality. Not sure he's that bothered about being at the top level. 

Would smash the championship. 

6 hours ago, MPH said:

The back end of the season when we at least tried to play properly, suddenly he came alive, how strange!