Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

On 26/06/2023 at 14:57, An Sionnach said:

Mitrovic proved far too good for Championship defenders but he was unusual , he stayed at Fulham. Most strikers with relegated clubs are snapped up quickly if they have had decent seasons. Barnes would get 20 goals with a top PL club but then he would have the quality around him , at the moment that would not be the case with us. If he wants to play with class players , we can't offer him that . The money is obviously paramount though.

No he wouldn't.

He played in a top 6 side for two consecutive seasons (when we finished 5th twice) and didn't even get double figures in the league. His goalscoring return last season was excellent in a relegated team, though.

All this "but put him in a top team" doesn't make sense. There is a reason why he doesn't play for a top team. Even now only West Ham are ever linked with him. I like Barnes, and hope he stays, but his decision making is questionable and first touch poor. He is not in the same bracket as a top PL winger.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

We would need to sign two wingers to replace him.

Borges from Manchester City and Jack Clarke from Sunderland would be ideal.

Maresca will almost certainly go wing back , so if we sign anymore wide men they had better be able to defend.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

We would need to sign two wingers to replace him.

Borges from Manchester City and Jack Clarke from Sunderland would be ideal.

The fact that we have not been linked with any wingers suggests that Maresca plans to go 3412 like he did at Parma.

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

No he wouldn't.

He played in a top 6 side for two consecutive seasons (when we finished 5th twice) and didn't even get double figures in the league. His goalscoring return last season was excellent in a relegated team, though.

All this "but put him in a top team" doesn't make sense. There is a reason why he doesn't play for a top team. Even now only West Ham are ever linked with him. I like Barnes, and hope he stays, but his decision making is questionable and first touch poor. He is not in the same bracket as a top PL winger.

I have consistently said , he is not a winger in the normal sense , he is a wide playing striker. Early on for us he missed loads of chances inspite of finding good positions but nowadays he doesn't miss so much. Goalscoring is 90% of his game though , he doesn't do much else.

1 minute ago, FoxinNotts said:

Very Interesting.

Age 25

Two years left on his contract

England International (current, and would have more caps if there wasn't others smashing it in that position!)

28 Goals & 15 Assists in last three seasons

Also, he's never really seemed unhappy here, and we don't actually have to sell (assuming we sell those others, with one year remaining)

All the above means we shouldn't be entertaining anything south of £55m IMO

On top of all this, i can't see him downing tools if we were to make him stay for another season, or even half a season.

It has to be a big price.

I agree, but don`t you just feel it will be (what we see as) an accepted low ball?

Just now, moore_94 said:

When we sold Maguire for £80m we got quoted insane prices for the likes of Ake and Dunk because their clubs knew we had $$$$

We absolutely need to be taking the same approach with West Ham for Barnes

They paid about £20m for Bowen from the Championship, Barnes is a proven and consistently effective Premier League winger so it needs to be at least double that with some good reasonable add ons

You could also reasonably expect that the success of Bowen may entice them to "push the boat out" for Harvey

40m will be enough to get this done if there is real interest- id like him to stay but dont think we would turn that down- is it just me though- I cant see west ham paying 40m for him at all- as per someone else post above price point will be very interesting as we dont NEED to sell and still got 2 yrs

Barnes frustrates the hell out of me when i watch him play. So much potential. 

I would sooner keep him as i reckon Championship defenders would be petrified of him. But i am also not against cashing in. We just need to remember that we hold the cards  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Talksport suggestion £25-£30mill.

Absolutely not, I'd rather keep hold of him than sell for that 

Add wages in as well and that’s another £15m saved though. I do agree though, that’s low.