Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

Maddison, with one year left on his deal and the attention his personality brings, was our loss leader. Barnes should be a high mark up sale. Every pound we make on him is pure profit on our balance sheet. Fleece any suitors and be confident we can keep him here if they don't play ball.

4 minutes ago, StonyFox said:

Do what they did with Rice. Tell them the required fee, and immediately reject anything below that. I'd be asking for £40m. They have the money. 

Very few left wingers will get the goals he does in the prem, and he is English with two years on his deal. We should be asking £60m imo, we’ll have to sell next summer for half that if we don’t go back up, but if we do come back there’s a good chance he signs a new deal. I think holding him is worth the gamble, promotion is worth a lot of money and he is guaranteed goals.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

Very few left wingers will get the goals he does in the prem, and he is English with two years on his deal. We should be asking £60m imo, we’ll have to sell next summer for half that if we don’t go back up, but if we do come back there’s a good chance he signs a new deal. I think holding him is worth the gamble, promotion is worth a lot of money and he is guaranteed goals.

He's not worth anything like £60m! 

Barnes is an odd one in that he still has 2 years left and doesn't strike me as one to kick off if we hold tight on a price.

40m + add ons at least seams reasonable.

If we kept him and had to sell next summer that probably drops to 15 and I'd argue a player who'd get 20+ goals in championship and not be a bad influence in the squad is worth that risk.

14 minutes ago, Viva said:

How much is he worth to West Ham, and how much is he worth to us are different questions. Given the increased likelihood of promotion if we keep him (worth £135m+), and the fact we don’t have to sell him this summer, we can demand a big fee here. 

Only Martinelli, Salah and Rashford scored more than him from the wing last season, and he played for an awful team. Everyone else in that bracket is easily worth north of £50m, why not him? 

If we keep and have to sell him next summer with 1 year left then yes we won’t get more than £30-35m probably.  

Edited by FoxesWalk

Pfft. Being forced to sell players to clubs which not that long ago we we're competing with for signings. 

I know it's been said ad infinitum, but being shit again sucks a bigg'un. 

Just get it over with.

Just now, FoxesWalk said:

How much is he worth to West Ham, and how much is he worth to us are different questions. Given the increased likelihood of promotion if we keep him (worth £135m+), and the fact we don’t have to sell him this summer, we can demand a big fee here. 

Only Martinelli, Salah and Rashford scored more than him from the wing last season, and he played for an awful team. Everyone else in that bracket is easy worth north of £50m, why not him? 

All the players you mentioned offer way more than Barnes. He made two assists all season and was well below par in a lot of matches. 

5 minutes ago, Viva said:

All the players you mentioned offer way more than Barnes. He made two assists all season and was well below par in a lot of matches. 

Agree, but his output is up there. Goals are worth money, he gets them at that level and we don’t need to sell him. It’s different to Maddison, we don’t obviously have to sell Barnes. 

I think he stays and if we go back up this year, signs a new deal. If not, he’ll go for £25-30m next summer. 

edit: this argument only holds if our wage situation isn’t dire and he isn’t kicking off about leaving, if we have to sell to reduce the wage bill then we should sell now, probably go looking for 10-15m more than we could realistically get next summer, so £40m ish. 

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Viva said:

He’s worth more to us at this moment. Barnes did more than his fair share last season, he might frustrate but he also did his main job, score and assist. 

With a midfield that actually tracks runners and does it’s job and a defence that will pass the ball forwards quickly, he can do what he does best and run with the ball at pace. 

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

No he wouldn't.

He played in a top 6 side for two consecutive seasons (when we finished 5th twice) and didn't even get double figures in the league. His goalscoring return last season was excellent in a relegated team, though.

All this "but put him in a top team" doesn't make sense. There is a reason why he doesn't play for a top team. Even now only West Ham are ever linked with him. I like Barnes, and hope he stays, but his decision making is questionable and first touch poor. He is not in the same bracket as a top PL winger.

In fairness, on this bolded bit, on the second of those seasons, he played 25 games as he had a season ending injury in February. At the time he was on a roll and in really good form and on 9 goals. Whilst you are quoting ‘stats’, that one is not telling the full story…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Richmondfox said:

He’s worth more to us at this moment. Barnes did more than his fair share last season, he might frustrate but he also did his main job, score and assist. 

With a midfield that actually tracks runners and does it’s job and a defence that will pass the ball forwards quickly, he can do what he does best and run with the ball at pace. 

He only assisted in one match!

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Maresca will almost certainly go wing back , so if we sign anymore wide men they had better be able to defend.

I think he'll go win back too so like Ricardo and sessegnon would be perfect. In terms of stikers though, I would like someone like Nacho up front with two like Cameron Archer and Piroe tucked in either side behind him. 

32 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

Agreed. Shift out as much other deadwood as we can before him.