Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Unless we’ve budgeted for this season to sell both him and madders for 70m 

Yeah none of us know this info. It may well come down to how many others we can ship out and what the wage bill looks like. We may be forced to sell, but if we aren’t he is worth a lot of money to us, imo. 

You have to think everyone with 1 year left will go, so Nacho, Ndidi etc., also the likes of Castagne and Praet will go. There will be some reasonable cash coming our way there.

Edited by FoxesWalk

Just now, Harpenden Fox said:

Let's say we could receive £40 million for Harvey. Or we could receive £40 million by managing to sell, let's say, Soumare, Timmy Chestnuts, Dennis and Kelechi, which bundle would you take?

The 2nd group, easy decision

• Like 2

On 26/06/2023 at 22:00, cropstonfox said:

Did not score against the top six.

If he didn't beat his man in the first 10 mins

Then he disappeared for the rest of the game.

May benefit us and his own development with a year in the Championship, starting

Down the middle on occasions.

I actually agree with this, he is far from the finished article. Don't think Maresca will fancy him either. 

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Unless we’ve budgeted for this season to sell both him and madders for 70m 

I'd rather keep Barnes and get his portion of the money budgeted by selling, Castagne, Ward, Vestergaard, Ndidi, Praet & Soumare

Edited by FoxinNotts
  • Like 1

The main argument I can see for selling him (unless forced financially to do so) is that he does not really suit the possession based style that we expect Maresca to play. We will struggle to get the type of technical wide men that best suit that style in the championship though. 

We should absolutely not be taking less than £60m for a homegrown proven Premier League talent, FA Cup and Community Shield winner, to a club that's just had Arsenal's pants down for £100m. 2 years left on his contract too.

Question is, did we get enough from the Maddison deal to let this one drag out until we get what we want?

Personally I'd much rather we didn't do any deals with West Ham anyway, considering the history of beef between the two clubs. Call it the Karren Brady tax. 

• Like 2

Just now, Harpenden Fox said:

Let's say we could receive £40 million for Harvey. Or we could receive £40 million by managing to sell, let's say, Soumare, Timmy Chestnuts, Dennis and Kelechi, which bundle would you take?

Literally the only thing that screams keep Barnes is the fact he’s a wide player and **** me we’ve struggled in that department for far too long.

Has Kelechi got no interest from elsewhere? Surely someone would want him.

The others I’m not bothered about other than it’s a lot of numbers vanishing.

3 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

Yeah none of us know this info. It may well come down to how many others we can ship out and what the wage bill looks like. We may be forced to sell, but if we aren’t he is worth a lot of money to us, imo. 

You have to think everyone with 1 year left will go, so Nacho, Ndidi etc., also the likes of Castagne and Praet will go. There will be some reasonable cash coming our way there.

2 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

I'd rather keep Barnes and get his portion of the money budgeted by selling, Castagne, Ward, Vestergaard, Ndidi, Praet & Soumare

my guess is that we need to get the best part of 100m in so that means you have to sell Barnes to be sure of hitting that with the others into their final year going too. I don’t think it’s an either/or situation as posed above 

32 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Got to be £50m probably our best player last season. Plus two years left on his deal. This is hideous…. If we go up the thought of Barnes being elsewhere sickens me……

Good chance if we go up, if he goes west ham he could be going the opposite way.. needs to keep that in his thoughts 

8 minutes ago, Viva said:

He only assisted in one match!

Ok, I'm sure if I could be bothered there are stats for his chances created.  The players around him were hardly firing.  He scored plenty of goals in a slow boring team with fullbacks that would rather pass the ball backwards than an early pass forwards and KDH getting involved in attacks who would stink out everything he touched (with his left foot only)

He still scored goals.  He is the player we need to fire us out of the championship not the overused cliche of young hungry unknown players.

Do we even need to sell Barnes?

He has 2 years left, I think we all know he could tear it up in the Championship and singlehandedly win us games and points. Unless he demands a move, which I can't imagine, I'd try our best to keep hold of him.

If he does want to leave or we need to sell, it has to be at least £40-50m

• Like 2

Just now, st albans fox said:

Need more than 70m. I was just quoting that 70m as the base to make it certain to get to 100 with a few others 

Why do you think we need £100m?

If so, surely we actually need more than that as we are spending the money on new players

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lcfc278 said:

Do we even need to sell Barnes?

He has 2 years left, I think we all know he could tear it up in the Championship and singlehandedly win us games and points. Unless he demands a move, which I can't imagine, I'd try our best to keep hold of him.

If he does want to leave or we need to sell, it has to be at least £40-50m

We don't really know. He's obviously not going to down tools and I don't think he's actually one of our highest earners is he? 

So it depends whether we need the extra cash to cover relegation and additional signings.

The large reduction to the wage bill already, Madders going, Castagne looking like he's going, etc, maybe we can afford to force him to stay? It doesn't seem likely but it's not impossible. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

my guess is that we need to get the best part of 100m in so that means you have to sell Barnes to be sure of hitting that with the others into their final year going too. I don’t think it’s an either/or situation as posed above 

You might be right. It’s hard to know. Costs are amortised and we will be looking at it on a year by year basis, we have just lost a massive chunk off the wage bill, but at the same time lost a lot of income. We then have money still coming from Fofana that wasn’t in last accounts if I recall correctly, on top of Maddison cash and anyone else we sell. It’s not clear to us. 

then there are the £40m odd parachute payments… 

Edited by FoxesWalk

Just now, moore_94 said:

Why do you think we need £100m?

If so, surely we actually need more than that as we are spending the money on new players

The value of the whole squad of most of the teams in the Championship is less than 100m. 70m should get us the title, if spent well!!

9 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

The main argument I can see for selling him (unless forced financially to do so) is that he does not really suit the possession based style that we expect Maresca to play. We will struggle to get the type of technical wide men that best suit that style in the championship though. 

The incoming signings seems to suggest a back 3 so likely wing backs not wingers. If, big if, we kept Barnes, I would imagine he would come more central and play of the striker(s). May see the best of him there!

1 hour ago, Gav_LCFC14 said:

Barnes will be the best player in the championship if we can keep him and would be a huge boost in our promotion push. We got to hold him for one more season, if hes up for the fight.

Not much in his game suggests he is up for a fight though 

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Anything less than £35m and keep him for a season and sell for £25m next summer.

You think he’s only worth £10m for us over the next year? Promotion is worth an estimated £135m if we get immediately relegated again, estimated £260m if you don’t go straight back down. He gets double figures in the prem, he’d be the best player in the league with us arguably. 

He is worth a lot of money to us if we aren’t forced to sell him, imo. Shouldn’t go for less than £50m if he isn’t kicking off/wages aren’t too high/can’t sell others.  Lots of ifs there admittedly. 

Edited by FoxesWalk