Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

3 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

Surely a loan would be best suited until we are back in the premier league next season.

10 million for the season loan is good business for both clubs

Nobody is spending 10m on a loan

Can we afford to keep a £40 million asset on the books? 

Obviously it would be great to hold on to him, but there is a big black financial hole to fill due to our relegation and I am not sure selling just Maddison for big money will suffice. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Can we afford to keep a £40 million asset on the books? 

Obviously it would be great to hold on to him, but there is a big black financial hole to fill due to our relegation and I am not sure selling just Maddison for big money will suffice. 

Yes, we probably can… you have to take some risks in a bid to go straight back up. Barnes would ease 20 goals at least, but, I can’t imagine someone won’t want him. I’ve got a sneaking feeling Liverpool will make a late move for him…. No substance, just a feeling. 

• Like 1

Maybe, and again I’m speculating, if we do keep some players including Barnes then should we go up the club may pay back any wages lost. That’s if the club wants to keep him of cause and it sounds like we don’t but as I suspected I don’t think he wants to go to West Ham. 

3 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

Maybe, and again I’m speculating, if we do keep some players including Barnes then should we go up the club may pay back any wages lost. That’s if the club wants to keep him of cause and it sounds like we don’t but as I suspected I don’t think he wants to go to West Ham. 

Promotion bonus maybe? Not sure how it all works and whether Top can just offer than on the fly but you could be right

I liken it to when we kept Muzzy Izzet when we were relegated under Adams. He was the difference the following season and was far too good for the Championship, as was Merson at Portsmouth. Harvey doesn't run a game in the way that Muzzy did but could be that point of difference in a really difficult league.

• Like 1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12259307/Newcastle-reignite-Harvey-Barnes-wary-spending-big.html

Newcastle reignite interest in Harvey Barnes but are wary of spending big after Sandro Tonali signing... with Tottenham, West Ham and Aston Villa also interested
Barnes will leave Leicester this summer after Leicester's relegation last season
Newcastle spent £52million on Tonali are are cautious of FFP restrictions

He will follow James Maddison, who has jointed Tottenham, out the door. The midfielder moved for £45million.

Leicester were hoping to recruit £80million for both players, so will remain optimistic that Barnes can leave for £35million. 

But will Newcastle pay the asking price? I think we will make the sale of Barnes more difficult as we would probably risk keeping him, and they’re wary of FFP, so we could push for the £50m…. Will Newcastle be in a position to spend just over £100m on just two players? 

5 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

But will Newcastle pay the asking price? I think we will make the sale of Barnes more difficult as we would probably risk keeping him, and they’re wary of FFP, so we could push for the £50m…. Will Newcastle be in a position to spend just over £100m on just two players? 

My Newcastle supporting mate says he'll be surprised if they do anymore big business without any outgoings due to FFP.

He also said we should have held onto Perez for the season though so he can be hit and miss :D

11 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Newcastle will offer about 30 for him. They are being careful not to pay over what they believe a player is worth. We don’t really want them involved as it’ll just waste time. Ideally we’d want around 45/50? No way they pay that. West Ham/villa on the other hand … 

I still struggle to understand why Newcastle seem so restricted by FFP when others around them continue to blow such obscene money. I presume its the concern of what might happen to Everton and they're being ultra cautious. 

3 minutes ago, Nolucklcfc said:

Newcastle will offer about 30 for him. They are being careful not to pay over what they believe a player is worth. We don’t really want them involved as it’ll just waste time. Ideally we’d want around 45/50? No way they pay that. West Ham/villa on the other hand … 

Oh yes we do!

The more the merrier. It was a lack of serious alternative bidders that meant we had to accept an initial £40M for Madders

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Oh yes we do!

The more the merrier. It was a lack of serious alternative bidders that meant we had to accept an initial £40M for Madders

I don’t see Newcastle spending what we want. They’ve just spent 55/60 million 

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I still struggle to understand why Newcastle seem so restricted by FFP when others around them continue to blow such obscene money. I presume its the concern of what might happen to Everton and they're being ultra cautious. 

I dont think it's just Newcastle, it's a bit of a myth that other clubs ignore FFP. Look at Chelsea's rapid fire sale, for example, they're clearly rushing to become compliant. 

What does surprise me, however, is that if Chelsea's sales to Saudi really are dirty (and I suspect they are) I'm a little bit surprised we've not seen any of Newcastle's squad rotation journeymen get bought up by Saudi clubs for overly inflated fees to enable Newcastle to spend more. 

• Like 1

Baring in mind Newcastle want an attacking midfielder too, and pleading poverty then I don't see them being serious about Barnes. 

They don't seem to have enough squad depth to raise funds either.

Why they haven't gone aggressively for Arda Guler I don't know. Such talents in the £10-20m price bracket.

I’m not so sure that Newcastle have any real financial constraints at present. Kieran Maguire  seemed to think they were comfortably able to spend £600m+ in the first 3 seasons after being taken over as Ashley had left them in such a decent state financially. That figure wasn’t including any outgoings or a surprise CL qualification either. 

On 03/07/2023 at 11:58, Simonb said:

If this is true, I'd rather we be looking at pushing Vardy out the door. Larger wages, less value and I think Barnes would offer a lot more over the season. 

Love Vardy, but we don't have to be loyal to him, we have to look to the future. If we can keep both, great.

That's quite a good point. If we could entice a Saudi club to buy Vardy, and then keep Barnes, we'd retain the current threat. JV has been an amazing player, but none of us can prevent the ageing process.

• Like 1