Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

27 minutes ago, Nolucklcfc said:

Newcastle will offer about 30 for him. They are being careful not to pay over what they believe a player is worth. We don’t really want them involved as it’ll just waste time. Ideally we’d want around 45/50? No way they pay that. West Ham/villa on the other hand … 

Yep. For some reason they feel Gordon will continue as a first team choice, so I can't see them paying 45/50 for a substitute.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Friends of mine tell me the Villa move is sorted if he himself wants it. Ball is in Harvey's court.

There have been rumours to this effect for a while. It makes me wonder if Harvey isn't that keen - if he was, surely it would have been done by now? I really hope we don't end up in a Matty Piper situation where we're basically trying to force one of our best players out against his will because we need the cash. 

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SkidsFox said:

Yep. For some reason they feel Gordon will continue as a first team choice, so I can't see them paying 45/50 for a substitute.

The idea of Barnes being backup to Anthony Gordon fills me with unfathomable rage. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SkidsFox said:

They really should have waited until the summer and gone for Barnes instead (from their point of view). Gordon isn’t fit to clean Barnes boots.

Edited by LCFCJohn

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

There have been rumours to this effect for a while. It makes me wonder if Harvey isn't that keen - if he was, surely it would have been done by now. I really hope we don't end up in a Matty Piper situation where we're basically trying to force one of our best players out against his will because we need the cash. 

Perhaps it depends what we can get in for other players and how many 

however, buying clubs won’t hang around waiting for that and will try and take advantage. if they believe that to be the case.  hence we probably feel the best policy is to get a deal done sooner rather than later and know where we are financially 

2 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

I still don’t think he’s that keen to go. I will go out on my shield and say I think he tries to get us promoted this season and if we don’t he’ll go next summer. He just doesn’t seem keen on moving atm. 

He certainly didn't seem to be moping in the training clips, not that they're exactly comprehensive proof of anything. Still nice to see. 

I still don’t think he’s that keen to go. I will go out on my shield and say I think he tries to get us promoted this season and if we don’t he’ll go next summer. He just doesn’t seem keen on moving atm. 

He isn't. His friends and family have been more than public telling everyone it! 

• Like 3

I think a lot depends on how much money we need to bridge the gap in finances or to fill the coffers for a rebuild.

I think suspect we want to bring in around 80-100m for out goings, whether combination that is of Barnes, Castange, Daka, Nacho etc.

I don't believe you spend 18m on a couple of incomes if you are not sure of being able to financial stable by the end of the summer window.

• Like 4

It's a rare player who'd turn down a doubling of his wages. I know Le Tiss famously was happy to stay with the Saints when he could have cashed in elsewhere, but he was still playing top league football?

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

I think a lot depends on how much money we need to bridge the gap in finances or to fill the coffers for a rebuild.

I think suspect we want to bring in around 80-100m for out goings, whether combination that is of Barnes, Castange, Daka, Nacho etc.

I don't believe you spend 18m on a couple of incomes if you are not sure of being able to financial stable by the end of the summer window.

I'm personally stunned Ndidi hasn't already gone to Saudi for 35m. OwnGoalNigeria being such a flawless source. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, SkidsFox said:

It's a rare player who'd turn down a doubling of his wages. I know Le Tiss famously was happy to stay with the Saints when he could have cashed in elsewhere, but he was still playing top league football?

His salary issue is temporary  

I heard he wasn’t likely to sign a new deal if we’d stayed up so expect us to try and force a sale this summer.  Maybe he was planning to go next summer with a year left which gets him a nicer s/o fee.  with his personal circumstances he may not be keen to move any distance this summer anyway. 

10 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

I do think Barnes would stay if he couldn’t get a move. And then like you say get us up and leave in the summer. Which I’d take all day long even if it leaves him with just a year on his contract. 

21 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

There have been rumours to this effect for a while. It makes me wonder if Harvey isn't that keen - if he was, surely it would have been done by now? I really hope we don't end up in a Matty Piper situation where we're basically trying to force one of our best players out against his will because we need the cash. 

Agree. Hopefully we can shift out some deadwood and he stays.  Need the Belgians out for starters.  We are stuck with Vesty now Brentford had just bought a CB.  Ward?    Rudders needs to get cracking and earn his redemption.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

He isn't. His friends and family have been more than public telling everyone it! 

Fair play to him in that regard. He's just seen his wages cut by 35/40% and his immediate thoughts aren't to leave. He can as well, he can go and play PL and European football but he seems happy here.

Only issue with this is, what impact if he does stay will happen to our squad rebuild. I suspect we still need that additional £40m + whatever else the other shit we want rid of raise.

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with Barnes going provided we get more than 35-40m.

I think Maresca would prefer someone a bit more technical than the pace/power that Barnes provides. 

Barnes will continue to do well in the Premier League. 

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Fair play to him in that regard. He's just seen his wages cut by 35/40% and his immediate thoughts aren't to leave. He can as well, he can go and play PL and European football but he seems happy here.

Only issue with this is, what impact if he does stay will happen to our squad rebuild. I suspect we still need that additional £40m + whatever else the other shit we want rid of raise.

I mean, I personally think we can put out an 11 right now including him that should comfortably be able to win the league. Lacks a bit of depth but eh, that's what the loan market is for. 

If we can balance the books as is (and that's obviously a big if) then I don't think we need to panic and flog him. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SkidsFox said:

It’s not like he’s signing a new contract to commit long term though. He’ll only have a year left by next summer.

The only way it could really go wrong for him is if he completely flops at Championship level which is so unlikely! Either he’d come back up with us or get a move with a year left on his contract. 

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I don't have a problem with Barnes going provided we get more than 35-40m.

I think Maresca would prefer someone a bit more technical than the pace/power that Barnes provides. 

Barnes will continue to do well in the Premier League. 

I'd prefer to see Barnes' pace/power with more technical aspects coached into his game by Maresca. If he stays he could make a major contribution to us getting promotion. Let the lad stay if he wants to.

Just now, ClaphamFox said:

I'd prefer to see Barnes' pace/power with more technical aspects coached into his game by Maresca. If he stays he could make a major contribution to us getting promotion. Let the lad stay if he wants to.

Yeah I don't have a problem with him staying either.

If he wants to stay and we can afford to then i'd say keep but if he wants to go then start looking for the highest bidder.

• Like 1

Guest Kopfkino

Almost certain his departure is the difference between being able to create a team to get us up and being able to build something that can see us pushing on for the next couple of years.

We can’t have this situation with players running down contracts and not being able to extract their value to reinvest. 

The only issue I can see with him staying is where does he play? From the players we've been linked with so far it suggests the main system we are pushing for is 3 at the back. Does he switch to a second striker? Can't see him as a wing back?