Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

12 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

The only issue I can see with him staying is where does he play? From the players we've been linked with so far it suggests the main system we are pushing for is 3 at the back. Does he switch to a second striker? Can't see him as a wing back?

Justin, Coady, Doyle

Ricardo, Winks, KDH, Kristiansen

Piroe, Vardy, Barnes

Barnes likes to come inside anyway so Kristiansen will still have the space up and down the wing

Piroe sitting inside off the right and just outside the box like he does for Swansea with Vardy (or Daka) in the normal 9 positions

Although you set up as a 343/523 when defending it pretty much shifts to a 4222/4231 when attacking

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Baring in mind Newcastle want an attacking midfielder too, and pleading poverty then I don't see them being serious about Barnes. 

They don't seem to have enough squad depth to raise funds either.

Why they haven't gone aggressively for Arda Guler I don't know. Such talents in the £10-20m price bracket.

My mate said that Howe will be looking to move Bruno forwards, the signing of Tonali allows this.

12 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Justin, Coady, Doyle

Piroe, Vardy, Barnes

Barnes likes to come inside anyway so Kristiansen will still have the space up and down the wing

Piroe sitting inside off the right and just outside the box like he does for Swansea with Vardy (or Daka) in the normal 9 positions

Although you set up as a 343/523 when defending it pretty much shifts to a 4222/4231 when attacking

Big yes from me, this.

Although looking at Coady’a aerial stats mixed with Justin’s inability under the ball bothers me a bit in this lineup. One simple transfer out of Pereira gives you Justin with pace at RWB, covering Souttar who can deal with any long ball we come up with.

Other than that, this team looks bang on for me.

1 minute ago, KFS said:

Big yes from me, this.

Although looking at Coady’a aerial stats mixed with Justin’s inability under the ball bothers me a bit in this lineup. One simple transfer out of Pereira gives you Justin with pace at RWB, covering Souttar who can deal with any long ball we come up with.

Justin back to LWB where he played his best football for us with Souttar on the right of the back 3.

1 minute ago, KFS said:

Big yes from me, this.

Problem we do have is that none of Souttar or Coady or Faes have ever played as a right sided centre back in a 3, all 3 have all been the one in the middle

Ideally we sell someone like Faes and bring in another player similar to Doyle on the right

I still struggle to understand why Newcastle seem so restricted by FFP when others around them continue to blow such obscene money. I presume its the concern of what might happen to Everton and they're being ultra cautious. 

I assume because of who they're owned by.

Any slight step out of line and I can imagine they'd be on to them 

I still struggle to understand why Newcastle seem so restricted by FFP when others around them continue to blow such obscene money. I presume its the concern of what might happen to Everton and they're being ultra cautious. 

Newcastle are way below the rich six on turn over. It will take them a season or two to push up there and the CL qualification is brilliant for them as it helps justifiy some new ‘excessive’ deals. new uefa ffp rules are based around turn over and spend as a percentage 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I dont think it's just Newcastle, it's a bit of a myth that other clubs ignore FFP. Look at Chelsea's rapid fire sale, for example, they're clearly rushing to become compliant. 

What does surprise me, however, is that if Chelsea's sales to Saudi really are dirty (and I suspect they are) I'm a little bit surprised we've not seen any of Newcastle's squad rotation journeymen get bought up by Saudi clubs for overly inflated fees to enable Newcastle to spend more. 

Haven’t seen any excessive fees yet.  Infact ziyech failing a medical sort of blows that theory apart somewhat. still seems more convenience and easy contacts than overly murky. 
chelsea always going to need a ‘fire sale’ this summer given their excess spend last two windows. The Saudi angle has enabled them to avoid some of the basement fees that may have transpired given the market’s knowledge of their situation. 

19 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Problem we do have is that none of Souttar or Coady or Faes have ever played as a right sided centre back in a 3, all 3 have all been the one in the middle

Ideally we sell someone like Faes and bring in another player similar to Doyle on the right

Both Faes and Souttar have played one game for us as RCB in a 3. Faes did it away at Man City (Soyuncu at LCB with Souttar in the middle). Souttar away at Newcastle (Faes was LCB with Evans in the middle). Wouldn't know if they've done it at their previous clubs.

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Newcastle are way below the rich six on turn over. It will take them a season or two to push up there and the CL qualification is brilliant for them as it helps justifiy some new ‘excessive’ deals. new uefa ffp rules are based around turn over and spend as a percentage 

Haven’t seen any excessive fees yet.  Infact ziyech failing a medical sort of blows that theory apart somewhat. still seems more convenience and easy contacts than overly murky. 
chelsea always going to need a ‘fire sale’ this summer given their excess spend last two windows. The Saudi angle has enabled them to avoid some of the basement fees that may have transpired given the market’s knowledge of their situation. 

I meant the sheer amount of money the likes of Aston Villa have spent. Maybe Newcastle have gone under the radar on what they've spent, I think in people's conscious minds it was expected to be much more.

10 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Both Faes and Souttar have played one game for us as RCB in a 3. Faes did it away at Man City (Soyuncu at LCB with Souttar in the middle). Souttar away at Newcastle (Faes was LCB with Evans in the middle). Wouldn't know if they've done it at their previous clubs.

I went through and had a look for them all in recent seasons

Callum Doyle who should be our left centre back with the most experience of them all recently of playing on the right haha

I think it will likely either be Justin or Souttar, but still potentially a problem as neither of them have any regular consistent experience of playing that role

Who When   RCB CB LCB
Conor Coady Wolves 21/22 + Everton 22/23   0 46 0
Harry Souttar Stoke 2021 + 2022   4 26 0
Wout Faes Reims 21/22   0 26 0
Ben Nelson Doncaster 22/23   0 7 7
Callum Doyle Coventry 22/23   7 11 24

James Justin Since Joining   6 0 1
Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I meant the sheer amount of money the likes of Aston Villa have spent. Maybe Newcastle have gone under the radar on what they've spent, I think in people's conscious minds it was expected to be much more.

Assume that the below table doesn’t include tonali or Torres 

newcastle sig higher over five years 

image.thumb.png.cfac5cdb202afd3ccfce4093bc71e2ee.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Justin, Coady, Doyle

Piroe, Vardy, Barnes

Problem is that KDH and Barnes were not keen on passing to Victor when he made runs.

11 minutes ago, Reginaldo said:

Problem is that KDH and Barnes were not keen on passing to Victor when he made runs.

Question is whether this is something between the players, I.e not getting on with/not trusting him, or whether it was just because we were a massively dysfunctional team. If the latter, I’m sure Enzo can get them playing better. If the former, well, they’d need to knock their heads together for a start! But if we followed up on that Giles link maybe? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EnderbyFox said:

The only issue I can see with him staying is where does he play? From the players we've been linked with so far it suggests the main system we are pushing for is 3 at the back. Does he switch to a second striker? Can't see him as a wing back?

What's the obsession with people thinking you must play wing-backs in a 3-back?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

...because if not then it's either a flat back 5 at all times or you play wingers and get killed on the flanks.

29 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Exactly. Man C (& for that matter Brighton & Arsenal too) play a variation on 3-box-3 with two holding midfielders and two 10s in the box. Width comes from overlapping CBs & the the 2 wide forwards. 

And I’ve seen nothing to suggest either Thomas or VK have enough about them offensively to play WB.