Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

1 minute ago, Sampson said:

Because they're a disgusting football club who have sold their soul and them being a success is a disgusting blemish on english and european football. It's depressing to see players I want to like and see do well wear their shirt.

I guess you’ve not followed football for the last 20 years 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dylanlegend said:

I guess you’ve not followed football for the last 20 years 

Of course I have, I thought the same about Chelsea and ManCity working and hoped they'd fail but they didn't. Whataboutery is not a good excuse though. Everyone should be hoping Newcastle's project fails and any self-respecting player should turn them down if offered a transfer there.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, StanSP said:

He'll get a lot of goals in that Newcastle side. 

And gets to play in Champions League. 

Good on him. 

We'll miss his goals. 

He'll be hard to replace, for sure.

It's a shame it has come to this, but it's life.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 3

Let’s be realistic there was zero chance of the like of him and Maddison (and a few others) staying. Got his faults but gets you 15-20 G+A which we’re going to miss massively. Good sum in the pot (more would’ve been nice) but we now desperately need to replace 30 or so goals in the squad as not sure where they’re coming from currently.

Good luck Harvey 👍🏻

Just now, LCFCJohn said:

Sorry but this bolded bit is just wrong. We won’t have another winger who puts up the numbers Barnes does at Premier League level for years. 

Minor saving grace is it looks like we won’t need wingers necessarily I guess, but I am reaching……:(

12 minutes ago, Brenfox said:

Again he has been a very good player for us at times & we will miss his goals but he was honking for long periods. Very one dimensional player who is replaceable.

Defiantly not replaceable any time soon. Where do you get a bloke from who scores that many in the top flight?  We will be stuck with the likes of Albrighton.

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Minor saving grace is it looks like we won’t need wingers necessarily I guess, but I am reaching……:(

Looks like it may be. If we can have dynamic wing backs and versatile attacking players rather than out and out wingers that would probably suit us.

But even so, the fact people are saying Barnes’ numbers at Premier League level are ‘easily replaced’ whilst we are a Championship side is delusional at best!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rain King said:

Didn't specifically mention anyone on this thread. In general, no end of people calling him shit, and they'd drive him there etc.

I find it absolutely baffling the way Barnes is viewed / spoken about. Admittedly, he's streaky and when he isn't in a game, he really isn't in it. However, he also plays for Leicester City, and that's probably why. This isn't Lionel Messi or CR7 we're discussing or another of the world's elite talents. Harvey Barnes is a very good Premier League level player and his output confirms as much. 13 goals for us last year in, let's be honest, a team that was absolute toss, speaks for itself. If he finds a way to produce more consistently he will be right up there in the Prem. The fact that people will hail KDH as the second coming of Christ and badmouth HB is crackers.

If he leaves (and why wouldn't he, at this point), I hope he does kick on and go to the next level and force some to eat their words. Genuinely think he will go with a heavy heart as well, and maybe it's as much down to the club making it happen as it is him wanting to go. As a Leicester lad that's tough to see.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Would you rather sell you house for £400k to the couple you don't know or £500k to the bloke down the pub you don't particularly like?

If the club decided to flush £10m down the toilet then that is gross negligence.

Like we did with Tielemens, Maddison and Söyüncü? 

6 minutes ago, CaliFOXnia said:

I find it absolutely baffling the way Barnes is viewed / spoken about. Admittedly, he's streaky and when he isn't in a game, he really isn't in it. However, he also plays for Leicester City, and that's probably why. This isn't Lionel Messi or CR7 we're discussing or another of the world's elite talents. Harvey Barnes is a very good Premier League level player and his output confirms as much. 13 goals for us last year in, let's be honest, a team that was absolute toss, speaks for itself. If he finds a way to produce more consistently he will be right up there in the Prem. The fact that people will hail KDH as the second coming of Christ and badmouth HB is crackers.

If he leaves (and why wouldn't he, at this point), I hope he does kick on and go to the next level and force some to eat their words. Genuinely think he will go with a heavy heart as well, and maybe it's as much down to the club making it happen as it is him wanting to go. As a Leicester lad that's tough to see.

It’s all the players who come through the academy and make the first team who get the same treatment. Barnes..Chilwell…KDH…Thomas, all of them get it. Some people seem to have a resentment against them. 

The same will happen to the next ones. If Alves gets into the side, as soon as he miscontrols the ball, they’ll be calling for him to go on loan to League 2. The minute Braybrooke plays a loose pass he’ll be deemed shit etc. Different players, same story.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sampson said:

He is not easily replaceable at all. His numbers were as good as they get for a non-top 6 winger. Look how we've tried and failed to replace Mahrez for years. It will be the same for Barnes, wingers who consistently get 15-20 goal contributions a season for a non-big 6 side are extremely rare and hard to find.

I think Mahrez has warped the minds of Leicester fans as to what a very good Premier League winger for a non-big 6 side looks like, as opposed to a brilliant one.

Massively agree with this. We've had a chronic shortage of and failure to sign a right winger that has been going on for years since Mahrez left. All the club ever did was try to replace him with players playing out of position and short sighted loans to kick the can down the road for another season. The one time a loan half worked, for Lookman, he was better on the left than the right, and then the club completely fumbled the opportunity to sign him the following summer.

The idea that they are suddenly going to replace Barnes and also fill the right wing vacancy, let alone actually put together some depth there, with a budget that will barely run to 1.5-2 Vestergaards after Rudkin secures us another cut price fee for our prized academy graduate of the last 10 years (except possibly for Chillwell - also sold too cheap, also botched the replacement by getting a right back to replace him - genius! Plus we'll also lose money on him too by the time Juventus stroll out the door after slapping their 50p down on our counter). It's not happening. Better hope Maresca can wangle together a wingback formation and pray to the heavens that Ricardo and Justin stay fit, because with the LCFC recruitment dream team on the case it'll be a cold day in hell before a successful winger signing happens. Can't wait for them to chuck 10 million at Fulham for Tom Cairney on a 4 year contract before leaving it until the last 30 seconds of the transfer window to scratch around in a failed bid to bring in some slow reject from the Prem on loan that falls through at midnight.

• Like 2

He won’t have anything like the tekkers that ASM has had for Newcastle and that will be an initial shock to the system for Newcastle fans. We all know he’s not blessed with tricks and he only turns one way BUT his end product is better and that ultimately is the key here. He brings the guaranteed goals that ASM can’t , even though virtually all of them will involve him cutting inside and placing the ball past the keeper at his far post. We all know he’s going to do it, the defender and keeper know too but his turn of speed and accuracy with that specific move and shot is clearly very difficult to stop. He won’t head the ball, he won’t tackle and doesn’t like tracking back but his goals and assists are a real loss for us. Ironically he’ll probably be back up to the outstanding Isak.

We’ve lost our 1st choice creative core of Tielemans, Barnes (probably) and Maddison as well as back ups like Perez so we definitely need to get replacements in very soon. Ideally those replacement creative players will have a stronger mentality than those they are having to replace. 

• Like 1

It's a great deal for Newcastle and in todays market its definitely cheap, guaranteed goals and assists and still has the potential to get better. We have nobody to blame but ourselves.

As others have said, this one hurts more than Madders. We knew Madders would go but for some reason it felt like we might, just might, be able to ship enough fringe players to keep Harvey to fire us back up. Perhaps it was wishful thinking but it was definitely in my mind.

He's a great talent and it will be a long time before another Harvey Barnes comes through, took an incredible amount of stick despite his output, he's not without his faults but when he's on his game he is unplayable. 

I wish him all the best but it hurts, it really hurts. A local lad going to the Saudi money, just feels grim, seeing him in a barcode shirt will make incredibly difficult viewing. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

Massively agree with this. We've had a chronic shortage of and failure to sign a right winger that has been going on for years since Mahrez left. All the club ever did was try to replace him with players playing out of position and short sighted loans to kick the can down the road for another season. The one time a loan half worked, for Lookman, he was better on the left than the right, and then the club completely fumbled the opportunity to sign him the following summer.

The idea that they are suddenly going to replace Barnes and also fill the right wing vacancy, let alone actually put together some depth there, with a budget that will barely run to 1.5-2 Vestergaards after Rudkin secures us another cut price fee for our prized academy graduate of the last 10 years (except possibly for Chillwell - also sold too cheap, also botched the replacement by getting a right back to replace him - genius! Plus we'll also lose money on him too by the time Juventus stroll out the door after slapping their 50p down on our counter). It's not happening. Better hope Maresca can wangle together a wingback formation and pray to the heavens that Ricardo and Justin stay fit, because with the LCFC recruitment dream team on the case it'll be a cold day in hell before a successful winger signing happens. Can't wait for them to chuck 10 million at Fulham for Tom Cairney on a 4 year contract before leaving it until the last 30 seconds of the transfer window to scratch around in a failed bid to bring in some slow reject from the Prem on loan that falls through at midnight.

So accurate it's frightening. Many on here calling for "wingbacks" when we've got 2 with fitness records worse than Darren Anderton in his pomp. Unbeleivable :doh:

Ok, so if Barnes goes do we bother getting wingers in or do we get attacking mids and strikers to reinforce the front line that would presumably work in a 3412 and would probably currently involve all 3 of our strikers in those fron 3 positions.