Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

1 minute ago, funkyrobot said:

He won’t have anything like the tekkers that ASM has had for Newcastle and that will be an initial shock to the system for Newcastle fans. We all know he’s not blessed with tricks and he only turns one way BUT his end product is better and that ultimately is the key here. He brings the guaranteed goals that ASM can’t , even though virtually all of them will involve him cutting inside and placing the ball past the keeper at his far post. We all know he’s going to do it, the defender and keeper know too but his turn of speed and accuracy with that specific move and shot is clearly very difficult to stop. He won’t head the ball, he won’t tackle and doesn’t like tracking back but his goals and assists are a real loss for us. Ironically he’ll probably be back up to the outstanding Isak.

We’ve lost our 1st choice creative core of Tielemans, Barnes (probably) and Maddison as well as back ups like Perez so we definitely need to get replacements in very soon. Ideally those replacement creative players will have a stronger mentality than those they are having to replace. 

Technique? Is that what football fans are really arsed about..? Barnes scored more league goals last season than ASM has managed in his ENTIRE time at NUFC. Also, we were absolute toilet. He will run absolutely rampant in a side with a pure, defensively minded full back (Dan Burn, only goes over the halfway line for corners). 

Ram your "technique" mate, goals win games. Headbands and stepovers can get in the sea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This really hurts I'm not going to lie. I had started to think (naively) he might stay. It hits home what a complete shit show this has been, relegated and losing the only two players who scored any goals and looked half decent last season. Loved Barnes and we had better get some exciting talents with the £75m we've pocketed.

• Like 1

I never doubted he would leave, quality attacking player, yes he has his flaws defensively but on his day he is electric. Gutted to see him move on but at same time accept it has to happen so we can rebuild with the hope of taking 1 step back to take 2 forward. 

seeing players like Barnes and Maddison move on in the cor circumstances they have show what an absolute mess the manager and club have mare of the last 18 months or so. 

But it’s time for a new era so come on let’s make sure we spend it well and come back stronger 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CaliFOXnia said:

So accurate it's frightening. Many on here calling for "wingbacks" when we've got 2 with fitness records worse than Darren Anderton in his pomp. Unbeleivable :doh:

You know we can sign people right? And we don't just have Justin or Ricardo we have Thomas and VK and have been linked with Giles, Sessegnon and Spence. The amount of doom on here is ridiculous. I'm pissed off Barnes is going, but to then speculate the whole season will be a disaster is a bit premature.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

I never doubted he would leave, quality attacking player, yes he has his flaws defensively but on his day he is electric. Gutted to see him move on but at same time accept it has to happen so we can rebuild with the hope of taking 1 step back to take 2 forward. 

seeing players like Barnes and Maddison move on in the cor circumstances they have show what an absolute mess the manager and club have mare of the last 18 months or so. 

But it’s time for a new era so come on let’s make sure we spend it well and come back stronger 

Build back stronger! 

😂

I really should be much more sad about this but I just never warmed to him. Even pass his house on the way to work. Just seemed like he didn’t care most of the time. Plodded around the pitch in Rome looking disinterested. I wish him well though, he’s a great goal scorer and at the end of the day a Leicester boy. 

3 minutes ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

It's a great deal for Newcastle and in todays market its definitely cheap, guaranteed goals and assists and still has the potential to get better. We have nobody to blame but ourselves.

As others have said, this one hurts more than Madders. We knew Madders would go but for some reason it felt like we might, just might, be able to ship enough fringe players to keep Harvey to fire us back up. Perhaps it was wishful thinking but it was definitely in my mind.

He's a great talent and it will be a long time before another Harvey Barnes comes through, took an incredible amount of stick despite his output, he's not without his faults but when he's on his game he is unplayable. 

I wish him all the best but it hurts, it really hurts. A local lad going to the Saudi money, just feels grim, seeing him in a barcode shirt will make incredibly difficult viewing. 

The irony is that the ‘ourselves’ in this is actually the club, the management AND the players. Despite some great moments and being less culpable than many, Barnes was still part of a team last season that consistently underperformed and who were consistently outplayed and outfought by teams with less quality in their squads.

The ‘punishment’ dished out to many of these established and now relegated players has ironically been a lucrative transfer back to the Premier League or abroad, and an increase in wages. That’s why the team were so poor - relegation has had no negatives for so many, in fact it’s been a positive as it’s helped them move quicker and with less financial hold up as we are now in need of funds to plug the massive drop in revenue. Leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth if I’m being honest. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

You know we can sign people right? And we don't just have Justin or Ricardo we have Thomas and VK and have been linked with Giles, Sessegnon and Spence. The amount of doom on here is ridiculous. I'm pissed off Barnes is going, but to then speculate the whole season will be a disaster is a bit premature.

Yeah, you're right.. Our track record is especially good, especially where wingers are concerned.

All aboard the positivity bus! In Rudkin we trust...... :worship:

Mixed feelings about this. Watching him frustrates the heck out of me. The amount of times he can’t beat a full back drives me mad. Saying that, you can’t argue with his numbers. Would be lethal in the championship if he stayed, but if it helps us to rebuild a side that is hungry to play for the club, then so be it

I would so love Barnes, from the academy, to stay and in time become our top scorer in the Premier League.

But currently we are Championship.   Seeing Barnes in a Newcastle shirt will be weird, compromising, uncomfortable.   I hope I can wish him well.  But ... Saudi money.  Newcastle.    

And we need seven new players for our team and squad.

17 minutes ago, CaliFOXnia said:

Technique? Is that what football fans are really arsed about..? Barnes scored more league goals last season than ASM has managed in his ENTIRE time at NUFC. Also, we were absolute toilet. He will run absolutely rampant in a side with a pure, defensively minded full back (Dan Burn, only goes over the halfway line for corners). 

Ram your "technique" mate, goals win games. Headbands and stepovers can get in the sea.

Did you actually read my post properly?? I’m saying Barnes is way better than ASM, just that initially Newcastle fans will be shocked by the loss of the dribbling that they love. ASM had minimal end product. Barnes is clear in the key aspect of goals and assists and I stated that very clearly. So I’m not going to ram anything anywhere buddy. 

1 hour ago, dylanlegend said:

What’s the issue with Newcastle? They are in the UCL next season and on the up. It’s a good move for him. Youri to Villa baffles me a lot more tbh. 

Basically what @Sampson but with extra swearing:

55 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Because they're a disgusting football club who have sold their soul and them being a success is a disgusting blemish on english and european football. It's depressing to see players I want to like and see do well wear their shirt.

52 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Of course I have, I thought the same about Chelsea and ManCity working and hoped they'd fail but they didn't. Whataboutery is not a good excuse though. Everyone should be hoping Newcastle's project fails and any self-respecting player should turn them down if offered a transfer there.

Also, the fact that we were explicitly held back after winning the league on several levels and yet Newcastle have allowed to "buy in" to the elite is absolutely disgusting. It's industrial scale cheating and the whole thing needs bringing down.

8 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

Also, for reference, the post was a reaction to our frankly awful transfer business in successfully replacing ANYONE we've let go... Mahrez, Kante, Fofana, Kasper, Chilwell.. We've been objectively awful whenever it's come to doing so and the wide positions are the absolute prime example of it.

The links to the 3 you mention are tenuous at best, in reality, the strongest links are to a 32 year old "Maddison replacement" from Fulham for 10 million quid and who knows what extortionate wages. Forgive me for struggling to muster up the faith in the fact we effectively replace a player who scored 13 in the Premiership last season...

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

Musa, Maguire, Fofana and Chilwell. 

I would argue that that’s 4 in about 25 outward transfers and one was to Saudi and the other 3 when we were seriously at the height of our powers performing well again the teams buying these, also we quoted more for all 3 of them than what we got and if you look at the reaction on here we were all disappointed with the fees involved albeit in 5- 10 mill. 

3 minutes ago, CaliFOXnia said:

Also, for reference, the post was a reaction to our frankly awful transfer business in successfully replacing ANYONE we've let go... Mahrez, Kante, Fofana, Kasper, Chilwell.. We've been objectively awful whenever it's come to doing so and the wide positions are the absolute prime example of it.

The links to the 3 you mention are tenuous at best, in reality, the strongest links are to a 32 year old "Maddison replacement" from Fulham for 10 million quid and who knows what extortionate wages. Forgive me for struggling to muster up the faith in the fact we effectively replace a player who scored 13 in the Premiership last season...

Ndidi for Kante wasn’t too bad  barring the last 18 months 

Just now, baldeagle said:

Ndidi for Kante wasn’t too bad  barring the last 18 months 

Agreed, I'll almost give you early Wilf, but latter Wilf makes it very hard due to the fact he appears to have been completely Space Jammed of all ability :(

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

Barnes doesn't really fit in the team optimally if we play a back three unless we play 3-2-4-1 like Pep does but then that negates our full backs which is a strong point for us.

It would also concern me that the new manager is trying to be a clone of his old boss rather than have his own ideas. It was one of the reasons I didn't want Shakespeare as a permanent boss early on as he just took the Ranieri blueprint and ran with it, the 1-6 home defeat by Tottenham showed himself up to be clueless, I had no idea what the formation was or what he was trying to do at 1-3 as he just seemed to put more attacking players on without direction.

I'm a big fan of Barnes and in many ways he reminds me of Mo Salah but if he's a square peg in a round hole for our new formation then I wish him well and approve of the sale. I'm always aware how a 25yo Butland was England No1 a few months before Stoke got relegated, never got his move and his career went to shite after that.

...if I recall, against Spurs, the job was already completed and we were effectively on the beach, with quite a few out with injuries!!!

It must have been difficult for him to transition into the man calling the shots, as he was the player's go-to confidant. I would have wanted to see him go down to the lower leagues and try again, it is pretty suicidal to begin your managerial career in the glare of the Premier League.

Fergie had cut his teeth at Aberdeen and was a result away from being shown the door when he went to United.

13 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

This might be the club, rumours were he wanted to stay local so Villa was all lined up, weird. 

50m and I’d snap whoevers hand off. 

...the club could encourage him to take the deal, but it is still down to the player to choose where he goes!!!