Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

5 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Joint 12th highest scorer in the PL last season, 5th highest English man.

Has roughly the same career stats a Saka, only reason he doesn't have an England cap is because he plays for Leicester. Look how hard it was for Maddison to get a game.

Maddison was also in the last year of his contact.

Glad you not our DOF, should be pushing for a record Championship fee.

Screenshot_20230708_142856_Chrome.thumb.jpg.234c1164b0fc6f07ec70acb9a935a586.jpg

What’s with the clean sheets stat on a comparison of two wingers lol

This shows how good Barnes is for me.

The other surprising things there is that Saka is a bit of a liability with his discipline looking at those yellow cards!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

The other surprising things there is that Saka is a bit of a liability with his discipline looking at those yellow cards!

If each of those yellow cards stopped a goal…. But yeah I’ve noticed colloquially that bigger clubs tend to have less problem trading a yellow card for a potential goal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Viva said:

Saka is a different level to Barnes. Stats don't show everything. Him not getting an England cap is nothing to do with playing for Leicester. He hasn't been consistent enough to warrant a place in the team. 

Never said he was on the same level, just similar stats.

If he goes Newcastle scores as many goals next season he will get a cap 100%

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Joint 12th highest scorer in the PL last season, 5th highest English man.

Has roughly the same career stats a Saka, only reason he doesn't have an England cap is because he plays for Leicester. Look how hard it was for Maddison to get a game.

Maddison was also in the last year of his contact.

Glad you not our DOF, should be pushing for a record Championship fee.

Screenshot_20230708_142856_Chrome.thumb.jpg.234c1164b0fc6f07ec70acb9a935a586.jpg

Listen, I've been praising Barnes whilst listening to people slate him, but come on, Saka is 21 and a generational talent and a regular in the England first team, and a huge part of an Arsenal team reaching 2nd last year. Barnes has been great but he's no where near that level. 

I want to hold out for 40m. That feels about right. But we can't expect players like Barnes to go for 60, then accuse the club of running contracts down. There is huge risk taking Barnes in the Championship next season. If he's not outstanding, that value is going to plummet. There are a number of factors at play here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Just the standard PL comparison app.

Think Saka has played FB for a good few games early on his career, do maybe pick up a few then.

Just now, Chelmofox said:

Listen, I've been praising Barnes whilst listening to people slate him, but come on, Saka is 21 and a generational talent and a regular in the England first team, and a huge part of an Arsenal team reaching 2nd last year. Barnes has been great but he's no where near that level. 

I want to hold out for 40m. That feels about right. But we can't expect players like Barnes to go for 60, then accuse the club of running contracts down. There is huge risk taking Barnes in the Championship next season. If he's not outstanding, that value is going to plummet. There are a number of factors at play here.

Never said his was at the same level, just similar stats.

Barnes is worth the Championship record which is Ake at 45m 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

He does have an England cap. He played against Wales in October 2020. Playing for Leicester didn't stop Maguire and Chilwell getting regular run-outs for England. Simple fact is that England are well set in the forward/attacking department and that is why Maddison and Barnes have had to, and will continue to have to, wait in line.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chelmofox said:

But its madness we let players run their contracts down......

If we’d have had decent offers last year, then I’d agree with you. Soyuncu should have been played more or sold but time for a new start with new blood and hopefully less madness lol.

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

He does have an England cap. He played against Wales in October 2020. Playing for Leicester didn't stop Maguire and Chilwell getting regular run-outs for England. Simple fact is that England are well set in the forward/attacking department and that is why Maddison and Barnes have had to, and will continue to have to, wait in line.

So you think there is on bais at all?

How may England caps did Grealish get a Villa? 

• Like 2

Can't see Barnes getting in that Newcastle team. He's very one dimensional, doesn't defend, often too selfish, isolated, and looked very poor for us at times last lesson despite the goals.

Without a doubt he's an excellent finisher but it's not enough. I'll be surprised it Newcastle are actually in for him considering their strength on the left.

Aston Villa like Youri, is probably the best Barnes will get and I'm not convinced he would want that when he can stay, and considering his excellent finishing in a poorer league his goals will be massively important. £60m or **** off to be honest unless we absolutely need that money.

Does remind me a bit of last year when they wanted Maddison. 

"He's got two years left, we want at least 60/70"

"How about 40?"

"No" 

"I'll give you 40."

"No"

"Just take 40!"

"No"

Lo and behold he stays a year and 40 ends up being his value with literally half the time on his contract. Now the same thing with Barnes "we want 50/60", "how about 35?"

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Just the standard PL comparison app.

Think Saka has played FB for a good few games early on his career, do maybe pick up a few then.

Yeah I knew you hadn’t added that into the graphic so to speak, just found it odd!

That could explain it re Saka though.

8 minutes ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Howe has a track record for overspending on English players so it’s not unreasonable to hold out for 45-55million+ 

I think this is a bit of an odd situation in that Newcastle would pay the money, if they could. But because of FFP they literally can’t go above a certain limit. 

I think the deal gets done and it’s probably heavily based on appearances, so 30 upfront and then another 20 over 2-3 years. Of course the problem there is if they sell him on first if he doesn’t make those appearances. One reason Adrien Silva all of a sudden never got a game again I believe was related to appearances too. 

• Like 1

I think it's the right decision to sell Barnes but I'll be disappointed if it's less than 40 million. He's a goalscorer. That's the best part of his game.

Having said that, I find him a frustrating player to watch at times. Be interesting to see what Newcastle fans think to him. Doesn't do much defensively and often loses the ball cheaply when matched up against a half decent defender. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

I don't see Barnes as an Enzo type player, I say that without watching a single game with maresca in charge so noone really knows what he likes in a player. 

Barnes is the most confusing player I know. Looks absolutely lost a lot of the time, so poor at times yet consistently as an impact.

Should be worth more than Gordon but transfers don't work like that. 

...everyone judges him on his numbers, goals scored and assists!!!

Not much is said regarding his prowess going forward as he does struggle with getting past his man. His link-up play (give and go) is a big part of what makes him prolific. It is not as if he has a great deal of conventional wing play, but can finish and supply.

He drifts out the game too often and that is because he has been nullified by a defender, he tends to not be able to overcome this, unless Nacho comes into the game or he has someone to supply him.