Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

People expected Harvey to turn into the complete player , he didn't and he never will. What he has become is a consistent goal threat. He should score 20 with a better team than us in the PL. He would probably get 20 in the championship with us but that is pretty common in this league. The top and bottom though is this , he can't give up millions of pounds to stay with us . Its a short career.

3 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Can we please stop with this.

He earns around £2m a year doesn't he? Plus sponsorship on top of that. 

He's already wealthier than most ordinary folk will ever be.  And I don't begrudge the lad.  It's one the few careers working class blokes can truly monetise their skills.  

But the idea he can't give up millions as it's a short career is just ridiculous.  Should he?  Totally different thing.  But let's not pretend if he stays with us he's going to end up retiring as a pub landlord.

Like it or not , top footballers grow accustomed to a certain lifestyle. That can be very expensive. Very few will willingly give that up if they don't have to. £5 million a year with Newcastle trumps £2 million with us every time.

2 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Can we please stop with this.

He earns around £2m a year doesn't he? Plus sponsorship on top of that. 

He's already wealthier than most ordinary folk will ever be.  And I don't begrudge the lad.  It's one the few careers working class blokes can truly monetise their skills.  

But the idea he can't give up millions as it's a short career is just ridiculous.  Should he?  Totally different thing.  But let's not pretend if he stays with us he's going end up retiring as a pub landlord.

After tax, he is likely to net about £1.2m, which on the uk average salary you would have to work about 41 years for. Then you would also be taxed on that.

So he could probably retire after 2 years and live better the rest of us plebs.

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

Like it or not , top footballers grow accustomed to a certain lifestyle. That can be very expensive. Very few will willingly give that up if they don't have to. £5 million a year with Newcastle trumps £2 million with us every time.

You may be correct.  But that's not the same as being unable to give it up or the short career thing.   

And I still, perhaps naively, would like the think their are players out there who aren't entirely motivated by the coin.  

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

After tax, he is likely to net about £1.2m, which on the uk average salary you would have to work about 41 years for. Then you would also be taxed on that.

So he could probably retire after 2 years and live better the rest of us plebs.

I'd retire on that now and die as happy as a pig in sh1t brother.  I'd probably only live another five years mind due to vast consumption of ale and gold plated chips.  

• Like 1

Just now, Bordersfox said:

You may be correct.  But that's not the same as being unable to give it up or the short career thing.   

And I still, perhaps naively, would like the think their are players out there who aren't entirely motivated by the coin.  

There may well be but almost all top players have ruthless , money orientated agents.

• Like 1

Barnes to Newcastle seems an odd signing when they are crying out for a RW who can chip in with some goals. They already have ASM, Gordon and even Isak who have shown they can all be effective there.

Not saying he’s better or worse than them (Harvey has shown he has more goal contributions than ASM and is a year or two ahead of Gordon (who has been great in the U21 tournie)), I’m more making the point that’s not a position I would think they would have to strengthen and as lots have said here, he doesn’t exactly fit their high energy pressing game but I maybe his 1-2 goals will help as teams sit back more against them 

7 minutes ago, HoustonFox said:

Barnes to Newcastle seems an odd signing when they are crying out for a RW who can chip in with some goals. They already have ASM, Gordon and even Isak who have shown they can all be effective there.

Not saying he’s better or worse than them (Harvey has shown he has more goal contributions than ASM and is a year or two ahead of Gordon (who has been great in the U21 tournie)), I’m more making the point that’s not a position I would think they would have to strengthen and as lots have said here, he doesn’t exactly fit their high energy pressing game but I maybe his 1-2 goals will help as teams sit back more against them 

Honestly I think they just think they can get a very good player on the cheap and figure they might as well

5 minutes ago, -sodapop said:

Honestly I think they just think they can get a very good player on the cheap and figure they might as well

This. If we are willing to sell for peanuts why not. We shouldn’t be. It’s idiotic. All those utter muppets saying well, if we can get £40 million. His numbers alone make him one of the best attacking English players around. Sure he goes missing - our whole bloody team went missing most of the last 18 months. 

It’s like getting relegated has just flattened the majority of posters into just accepting whatever comes. Sod that. He has 2 years on his contract. Anyone wants him, £60 million or he just plays in the championship. How much would he cost us if we got promoted back?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Love him but i've had to laugh at how many 'pundits' have referred to him as hard working. It's astonishing at how little clubs outside the top 6 are watched by casual fans, or even people paid to watch football. 

That’s what makes it seem like its agent CV talk pushing it to the press and they get content and clicks.

If the club can work the finances they should make him stay at least till Jan.  

Great rebuild if we get rid of all the positive players that actually created something and are left with Soumare, Ndidi and the rest of FC Backpass.

37 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

This. If we are willing to sell for peanuts why not. We shouldn’t be. It’s idiotic. All those utter muppets saying well, if we can get £40 million. His numbers alone make him one of the best attacking English players around. Sure he goes missing - our whole bloody team went missing most of the last 18 months. 

It’s like getting relegated has just flattened the majority of posters into just accepting whatever comes. Sod that. He has 2 years on his contract. Anyone wants him, £60 million or he just plays in the championship. How much would he cost us if we got promoted back?

The problem is, fighting for every penny can be harmful.

It can lead to players leaving right at end of transfer window causing pre season prep issues and instability in the squad even after season has stated as well as leading to panic signings or dare I say it even signings where the fax doesnt go through on time.

Plus selling someone for say 60 million instead of 40 million will probably just mean you spend more on inbound players as clubs know you have the extra money, as well as perhaps been stung on higher wage demands as players also know you have the money, this can probably only be avoided if you buy everyone first before selling (easier when you dont need the sales money to fund purchases).

38 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

The problem is, fighting for every penny can be harmful.

It can lead to players leaving right at end of transfer window causing pre season prep issues and instability in the squad even after season has stated as well as leading to panic signings or dare I say it even signings where the fax doesnt go through on time.

Plus selling someone for say 60 million instead of 40 million will probably just mean you spend more on inbound players as clubs know you have the extra money, as well as perhaps been stung on higher wage demands as players also know you have the money, this can probably only be avoided if you buy everyone first before selling (easier when you dont need the sales money to fund purchases).

I’m not talking about fighting for every penny. Certain players aren’t worth the sweat. Someone with Barnes numbers is worth it - he’s a goals and assist machine. This is just the big dogs taking our pants down. I wouldn’t play that game. Others might. I imagine the club will. 

2 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

The top and bottom though is this , he can't give up millions of pounds to stay with us . Its a short career.

...are you giving him advice in this instance or stating what you believe would make sense in this situation!!!

All players are not the same, some would rather stay close to home which would make them happy and others would test themselves irrespective of where they have to travel to achieve this.

We as a club need the money to help finance the team rebuild, Barnes does not have to leave, he could run his contract down or sign a new contract with relevant clauses to ensure he is not losing out on potential finance.

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

...are you giving him advice in this instance or stating what you believe would make sense in this situation!!!

All players are not the same, some would rather stay close to home which would make them happy and others would test themselves irrespective of where they have to travel to achieve this.

We as a club need the money to help finance the team rebuild, Barnes does not have to leave, he could run his contract down or sign a new contract with relevant clauses to ensure he is not losing out on potential finance.

Thing is we are not paying the same in the Championship , according to some on here anyway. One season in the Championship could cost him millions. There is absolutely no certainty in promotion for us. Would you take the risk if you didn't have to. If we were still in the PL , he probably would not move even if Liverpool came for him but we are not.

2 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Thing is we are not paying the same in the Championship , according to some on here anyway. One season in the Championship could cost him millions. There is absolutely no certainty in promotion for us. Would you take the risk if you didn't have to. If we were still in the PL , he probably would not move even if Liverpool came for him but we are not.

...I would, it is rumoured that he wants to stay here, he would have given it a lot of thought!!!

Like Piper, the club might look to make it difficult for him to stay, by laying on a guilt trip about needing the money to fund bringing in more players. If this is where his heart lies, then he is not going to give 100% at another club, which then impacts the way he is then perceived, and in respect of what he produces.

4 hours ago, Bordersfox said:

I'd retire on that now and die as happy as a pig in sh1t brother.  I'd probably only live another five years mind due to vast consumption of ale and gold plated chips.  

But what a five years it would be.

Fùck growing old, that ain’t the way I want to go.

• Like 1

A better player than most recognise me included. Anything north of £40m seems a fair deal. He has brilliant moments but I’ll be honest he frustrates me. Good luck and thanks.

3 minutes ago, tetly said:

A better player than most recognise me included. Anything north of £40m seems a fair deal. He has brilliant moments but I’ll be honest he frustrates me. Good luck and thanks.

Not you Tetly, as you've just recognised he's a good player.  

Anything less than £45m is honking business imo.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Basically what @Sampson but with extra swearing:

Also, the fact that we were explicitly held back after winning the league on several levels and yet Newcastle have allowed to "buy in" to the elite is absolutely disgusting. It's industrial scale cheating and the whole thing needs bringing down.

I don’t think we were held back at all. The Newcastle owners just have a lot more money than our owners do. Who was we ever linked with for big money wages? No one. Only thing that held us back was Rodgers et al poor transfer dealings.