Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

16 hours ago, jv1 said:

cheers- they can bid 25m all they want- no chance we sell for that- zero- pointless bid that doesnt get them anything- doesnt even unsettle the player that for that- barnes will have been told already by the hierarchy that if anyone matches our valuation we will consider it- that will be £40m - no less- we do not sell players for cheap- maddison only went for that because of his 1yr left

I also think the reduced Maddison price was agreed amicably as spurs agreed to

a) conclude quickly

b) conclude within the last financial reporting year 

There's more to negotiation than just lowballing

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

a) conclude quickly

And I believe that there are considerable add ons based around his potential to have fitness issues. 
as ever, no two scenarios are comparable. 

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

a) conclude quickly

Maddison was clearly going to leave so it made sense to get it done quickly rather than let it drag on. Barnes is a completely different case - we don't need to sell him and he'd probably be happy to stay. We can afford to set a high fee and refuse to budge. A lot will come down to what Maresca wants - if he really wants Barnes to stay, I think he'll stay. 

• Like 1

Starting to stall this deal, is it case of Barnes reluctant to join Newcastle. There was talk he didnt want to relocate to far which cancelled out the West Ham move... yet of course Newcastle much further away but the deal continues. Perhaps hes trying to edge a move to Villa instead who knows.

2 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Starting to stall this deal, is it case of Barnes reluctant to join Newcastle. There was talk he didnt want to relocate to far which cancelled out the West Ham move... yet of course Newcastle much further away but the deal continues. Perhaps hes trying to edge a move to Villa instead who knows.

The narrative in the media is the player wants the move but there hasn’t been any proper contact between the clubs. Who knows what the truth is?

It doesn't happen. We either accept bids or reject them. As soon as we accept one that's generally it done.

I suppose the theory people have is that we keep rejecting it to the point they keep leapfrogging to a sizeable fee. Which we know isn't the way it works.

28 minutes ago, JimJams said:

It doesn't happen. We either accept bids or reject them. As soon as we accept one that's generally it done.

I suppose the theory people have is that we keep rejecting it to the point they keep leapfrogging to a sizeable fee. Which we know isn't the way it works.

The only thing that forces a potential buying club to keep upping its offer is the selling club's need (or otherwise) to sell. If the selling club doesn't need to sell and doesn't particularly want to, it is obviously in a much stronger bargaining position. We sold Maddision for less than he's worth because he had a year left on his contract and wanted to leave, and we needed to get it done quickly. I don't think any of those factors apply to Barnes and I can see us being extremely stubborn over this one, as we have been in the past.

Edited by ClaphamFox

25 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

The only thing that forces a potential buying club to keep upping its offer is the selling club's need (or otherwise) to sell. If the selling club doesn't need to sell and doesn't particularly want to, it is obviously in a much stronger bargaining position. We sold Maddision for less than he's worth because he had a year left on his contract and wanted to leave, and we needed to get it done quickly. I don't think any of those factors apply to Barnes and I can see us being extremely stubborn over this one, as we have been in the past.

Thing is, even if the press report £25m (Not sure why the press need to make richer clubs look frugal), it by no means indicates this is the agreed fee. So any outrage from a reported figure should be tempered with suspicion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingkisnorbo said:

When was the last time a bidding war actually happened in English football? Is it not one of the great misnomers? 

Arsenal offered 80m for Rice, Man City offered 90m then West Ham got 105m from Arsenal about 2 weeks ago

13 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

That story is comical:

Newcastle will try to close the deal for Harvey Barnes this week, sources have told Football Insider.

The Magpies want to pay around the £30-£40million mark for the Leicester winger. The Premier League side are still yet to offer newly Championship outfit Leicester an offer, but Barnes has agreed to make the move to St James Park.

So they haven’t even bothered to make us an offer and the fee they want to pay is well below what we want, but a deal is ‘close’? 😂

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Haha 2