Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

I don't like the idea of signing Piroe to play him on the wing.

He's a good striker, play him there. Rather us sign a winger who actually plays the position. Getting serious Perez vibes here (though I rate Piroe highly).

Back to Barnes... for £35m I would keep him for a year if he's happy to do so. Worst case is we don't get promoted and can probably still shift him for £20 - £25m next summer. The upside is we get promoted and he signs a new deal, making him instantly worth double that.

Without him we seriously lack any form of goals or creativity. Unless the recruitment team have a clear plan of who they want to bring in, and are confident they can unearth some gems then I'd be refusing point blank to sell him for anything under £60m.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lcfc_forever said:

Times suggests it may be £35m plus add ons. 

Sounds like Newcastle want to spend less now to stay within FFP. 

Let them have Barnes for 35m and then PIF force one of their clubs to buy another player of ours for inflated price.

1 hour ago, An Away Move said:

I think Soumare has so much potential, but I fear his lackadaisical jogging back at times will look even more terrible in the bust-a-gut Championship. 

...it is play or bust for him in this new regime!!!

He will be easily found out this season, his approach to games is not going to be tolerated this season and he has to readjust the way he sees the game, because as you say he has a lot of talent, he just cannot to be seen to be not trying.

30 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

It's what we do. We decided to have 3 central forwards knowing full well we only play one up front and none of them are capable of playing out wide. You'd think given this, we'd make sure we had some wingers to choose from but no, over the past few seasons we've relied fully on Barnes to make the formation work and then had no idea what to do when he got injured. We are just so amateur in so many ways and its no wonder it's seen us get relegated.

We have had Musa, Gray , Diabate, Ghezzal, Under and Tete. Common denominator is most wingers are a waste of time.

21 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

We have had Musa, Gray , Diabate, Ghezzal, Under and Tete. Common denominator is most wingers are a waste of time.

I uhh don't think that's what that means.

I think it actually means we've been shockingly bad at signing competent wingers and playing in a way that gets the best out of them.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

...there are a plethora of Wingers out there, we just need to adopt the same policy that we have applied in acquiring Maresca to sourcing a player capable to come into the first team and make a difference!!!

Musa was not a Winger, Gray was someone who was just not the quality or had the self-awareness to adjust his game to move his career forward. Diabate was a cheap pickup after Puel's son recommended him, we paid about £1m to get him in, all in all, it was a punt. Ghezall had the talent, he never believed in himself or was willing to push himself to succeed in the Premier League. Under and Tete were players who probably came to us and had encountered Rodgers, and it was not a good fit.

2 hours ago, Fosse93 said:

I don't like the idea of signing Piroe to play him on the wing.

He's a good striker, play him there. Rather us sign a winger who actually plays the position. Getting serious Perez vibes here (though I rate Piroe highly).

Back to Barnes... for £35m I would keep him for a year if he's happy to do so. Worst case is we don't get promoted and can probably still shift him for £20 - £25m next summer. The upside is we get promoted and he signs a new deal, making him instantly worth double that.

Without him we seriously lack any form of goals or creativity. Unless the recruitment team have a clear plan of who they want to bring in, and are confident they can unearth some gems then I'd be refusing point blank to sell him for anything under £60m.

I think if we do sign Piroe we will play him as a deep lying forward.

Moving forward, if we play a 3-5-2 a key part to the formation is confusing the opposition with movement, by playing a second striker dropping in to collect the ball, it will pull a centre back out of position and allow one of the No.8’s or wingers to make a run in behind with the space vacated. 

That movement as well as the pace in behind from the likes of Daka or Vardy COULD be devastating at this level.

• Like 1

Hopefully we will still get £50m as an overall deal for Barnes, with just a change in the make up of the deal £35m + £15m in add ons rather than £40m + £10m whine maybe our preference. As sad as it will be to see Harvey leave, it should enable us to kick on and reinvest for our rebuild. Also once this deal ins finalised and the club securing circa £75-80m in initial fees for Madders and Barnes, will then allow them to move forward with moving on the remainder of the players we need to sell, but maybe allowing the club to accept reduced fees. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I think if we do sign Piroe we will play him as a deep lying forward.

Moving forward, if we play a 3-5-2 a key part to the formation is confusing the opposition with movement, by playing a second striker dropping in to collect the ball, it will pull a centre back out of position and allow one of the No.8’s or wingers to make a run in behind with the space vacated. 

That movement as well as the pace in behind from the likes of Daka or Vardy COULD be devastating at this level.

Which wingers are you thinking?

£35m for Barnes with what 2.5years left in his contract thought we’d be able to ask for at least £40-45m, is it worth digging our feet in for a better price from Newcastle or will we just go down the easy route and let him go on the cheap well if we do I hope we’ve put in a few decent sell on & performance clauses into the deal ?

Bit disappointing really a young English player on the fringe of England place especially if he does go to Newcastle then he should have a premium just for those facts, be Sad to see him go as I’d like to have seen if he could shine and immensely improve under Maresca do we keep him a bit longer let his price improve with his quality ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, justfoxes said:

£35m for Barnes with what 2.5years left in his contract thought we’d be able to ask for at least £40-45m, is it worth digging our feet in for a better price from Newcastle or will we just go down the easy route and let him go on the cheap well if we do I hope we’ve put in a few decent sell on & performance clauses into the deal ?

Bit disappointing really a young English player on the fringe of England place especially if he does go to Newcastle then he should have a premium just for those facts, be Sad to see him go as I’d like to have seen if he could shine and immensely improve under Maresca do we keep him a bit longer let his price improve with his quality ??

Sorry to be pedantic but he has 2 years left on his deal.

• Haha 1

Newcastle don't do bidding wars. We've walked away from deals where the selling club is asking more than we're willing to pay, and from deals where bigger clubs wade in with a big early bid. See Maddison for example. We had the price we were willing to pay, it was less than you wanted and Spurs were willing to pay it, so we didn't put in a bid at all. 

Barnes is a quality player but it does mean we're really well stocked on the left; ASM, Gordon and Isak, Joelinton and Willock can all play wide left with varying degrees of efficacy. 

If we do sign Barnes, it probably spells the end for ASM. He's an unbelievably talented footballer, but he just doesn't fit into the way Howe has us playing and he's too good to be a bench warmer/impact sub. Hopefully get roughly what we spend on Barnes for Saint-Maximin.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, TheFish said:

If Barnes is worth £40m, ASM is surely worth the same. Saint-Maximin has 3 years left on a c£70k pw contract vs 2yrs left on c£35k pw.

Transfermarkt has ASM's market value at €32.00m,  Barnes €35.00m. ASM is ostensibly a Champions League player, Barnes a Championship player. We don't need to sell, you still need to raise funds. 

So if we buy Barnes for £35m-40m, I'd hope to get £30m-35m for ASM.

The main problem here is ASM's end product is horrific. Surely that's not lost on you?

• Like 3