Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

23 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Declan Rice move to Arsenal should be finalised and announced today, could West Ham step up their interest in Barnes, would be good if they do even if it forces Newcastle to get a shift on to close out the deal. 

Newcastle apparently need to flog Saint-Maximin before they can afford Barnes, which may not be straightforward. This one threatens to run all summer.

11 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Newcastle apparently need to flog Saint-Maximin before they can afford Barnes, which may not be straightforward. This one threatens to run all summer.

I'm more of a 'football for entertainment' fan so have always enjoyed watching ASM. Would absolutely love him at Leicester lol

Clubs look at the stats though, and you can't deny his output his very poor for the sort of money Newcastle will be asking. They'll never sell him.

12 hours ago, Claridge said:

Barnes would be easily the best player in the championship

Unquestionably a fantastic championship player.

I've watched him many times at West Brom and as he was used he was brilliant, also saw him several times for Barnsley and MKD where he was less so but more down to not being used right. Past two seasons he has mirrored Bodgers soft power puff persona sadly. 13 goals but team play poor as those who study the game would agree. 

Gamble, but if a silly £25m is all we can get then keep him with a proper manager. Excel against poorer defences, promotion and then sell for higher. Win win 

• Like 2

Was talking to my mate about ASM/Barnes. ASM is lightyears ahead of Barnes in terms of creativity and Barnes is more of a goal-getter.

The more I look at Barnes stats, the more I do think he's a natural central player rather than a wide player.

Really don't think they need him.

Just now, filbertway said:

Was talking to my mate about ASM/Barnes. ASM is lightyears ahead of Barnes in terms of creativity and Barnes is more of a goal-getter.

The more I look at Barnes stats, the more I do think he's a natural central player rather than a wide player.

Were you both high at the time?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, filbertway said:

ASM is a flair player, but he's so wasteful. Injuries seem to have curtailed his improvement too. 

I think Newcastle's best hope is selling him to a Saudi club....

6 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Were you both high at the time?

We were just looking at the stats lol 

Just now, Ric Flair said:

ASM is a flair player, but he's so wasteful. Injuries seem to have curtailed his improvement too. 

I think Newcastle's best hope is selling him to a Saudi club....

He is indeed wasteful, but yet, per 90 he creates about 3 times as many chances as Barnes does.

Barnes is much the superior finisher though.

Like you say, injuries will always be a struggle for ASM. It'd be hilarious watching him in the Saudi League lol he'll be taking on whole teams for fun.

15 minutes ago, filbertway said:

ASM is lightyears ahead of Barnes in terms of creativity

Flair =/= creativity. 

ASM is obviously a skillful dribbler and Barnes isn't, I barely even need to check their stats for take-ons to tell you who'll be ahead (I did anyway, it's not Barnes.) But that doesn't mean that ASM is better in terms of progression, they're just different. ASM makes more progressive carries per 90 but Barnes has far more progressive receptions, Barnes then just doing his best work off the ball. 

They've been active in the Premier League pretty much the exact same time, since 19/20, and Barnes has more assists per 90 minutes during that time. Fair enough, Barnes is playing with better finishers. But then they have near identical expected assists, pass completion, pass progression distance, etc. 

So no, I wouldn't say he's lightyears ahead. He's just a fancier dribbler that's better at beating his man. But he also consistently fails to meet his xG and takes wasteful shots from silly distances and scores less than half as many goals as Barnes per 90. 

So I know who I'd rather have in my team. 

• Like 2

Fair points my man. I have actually gone back further now when comparing and see what you mean.

I think having the ability to beat a man when you're facing more low blocks is more preferable to somebody who's handy at receiving ball in space. They've already got plenty of goals all over the pitch, so I'd definitely prefer creativity and ability to beat players. To be matching Barnes stats considering most of ASM's minutes have been whilst playing Bruce ball, is pretty impressive.

To be fair, i'm surprised Howe wants either of them.  There's clearly a certain work ethic that's required of every single player in his starting line up. We're well aware of Barnes' complete lack of interest in the defensive side of the game. I'd expect them to be quite hot on knowing that stuff.

Also off topic, I've just read that Villa in for Chiesa?! The game is broken lol

Villa are showing some very impressive ambition and it's easy to forget they're also owned by a considerable billionaire. 

But Chiesa is not the player he was when they won the Euros. He's had considerable injury problems and really hasn't recovered yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Barnes is more comparable to Rashford beats a man with pace and can score

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Unquestionably a fantastic championship player.

I've watched him many times at West Brom and as he was used he was brilliant, also saw him several times for Barnsley and MKD where he was less so but more down to not being used right. Past two seasons he has mirrored Bodgers soft power puff persona sadly. 13 goals but team play poor as those who study the game would agree. 

Gamble, but if a silly £25m is all we can get then keep him with a proper manager. Excel against poorer defences, promotion and then sell for higher. Win win 

I think this is spot on 

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

Yeah, can see this being a deadline day move if he is going to Newcastle. will probably start the season with us if that's the case

14 hours ago, filbertway said:

Lightyears ahead of Barnes creatively? Have a look at their assist numbers mate...

7 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Arsenal's deal for Rice is expected to be confirmed tomorrow

Hopefully then West Ham will come in for Barnes and get the price up a bit more

If, as seems inevitable, Barnes is going, then let’s crack on. Hopefully you are right, and Rice finally moving to Arsenal will expedite this somewhat.

21 hours ago, filbertway said:

Just because he bags goals 90% of what he does he’s reliant upon squaring a man up and knocking it into space… you don’t get the time or space needed centrally to do that, we’ve tried him through the middle and he looked like a lost little sheep! He’s a winger who’s very good at what he does when he fancies doing it.

I’m not knocking  him but a thing Pipes said one game really stuck with me to the point I looked out for it every game after and that was you can tell with Barnes first few touches of a game if he’s up for it/fancies it as he’ll pick up the ball and go straight at the full back… if he doesn’t he’ll turn around and pass it back and it was true the majority of the time! If he did the latter off the bat it almost always went hand in hand with a half arsed performance 

• Like 1

On 11/07/2023 at 06:25, Paninistickers said:

I also think the reduced Maddison price was agreed amicably as spurs agreed to

a) conclude quickly

b) conclude within the last financial reporting year 

There's more to negotiation than just lowballing

My guess is we got less for Maddison in exchange for paying less for Winks to reduced the amount of fee that goes on towards Norwich

8 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Arsenal's deal for Rice is expected to be confirmed tomorrow

Hopefully then West Ham will come in for Barnes and get the price up a bit more

West Ham are more likely to try to negotiate the price down. They drive a hard bargain in a similar way to Spurs.