Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

This hurts, academy lad, clearly cared about the club and seemed to be the only one to show his emotion at times last season. I don't think he's keen to leave in all honesty and wouldn't be surprised to see him back here in the future.

£38m is excellent business considering his limitations but he absolutely would have scored a **** load of goals this season and now we need to replace that.

• Like 2

It’s not an awful fee, but in the prem we could and should have been asking for more. With 1 year left on his deal we’d still be able to get 30m imo. Price of relegation.

It’s worth it if spent well on the rebuild 

Edited by FoxesWalk

4 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Going to be so weird seeing him play for another club and especially seeing him in black and white stripes, but he gets Champions League football this season and is joining a club on the up, so I am happy for him. The fee is about right in the end, as we need to sell so we can get our own targets in. 

Won't be the first time we've seen him in black and white stripes (or are they dark blue?). Who knows, who cares. 

• Like 1

It's champions league football we can't begrudge him that.

It would be horrendous seeing him line up in a West Ham jersey so at least it's not a bog standard mid table side.

9 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

I would keep Nididi and Nacho and sell the others that would take us over 100m and what about Praet does he want to be here?

I agree, but it looks like we're open to selling Nacho and I don't see where Ndidi fits in, in the new system. If he's willing to stay, I'd like to keep Praet

Just now, frany104 said:

I’m not a fan of this. He’s the one I wanted to keep. Some of the abuse he gets on here was ridiculous. 

Such a shame a place of his quality and from our academy has had to be sold for well under his market value. 

The fella  didn’t want to stay. Even if we’d stayed up he wasn’t signing a new deal. Whether a new coach might have changed his mind we’ll never know.  Of course we’d have got a few more quid if we’d stayed up cos that’s how it is. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Gutted. I was a huge fan of Barnes. Howe will turn him into a lobster in my opinion.

The one bonus is he’s made us some money, which we can reinvest into the team. Now let’s go and buy two quality attackers.

Bit shellfish in front of goal though.

Just now, moore_94 said:

@st albans fox This will be really good for our books wont it?

Youth player so will just be pure profit

Yep 

all in the positive column 

no sell ,on fee and no complications re amortisation 

there will be a loyalty bonus due to him. Bert seems to think it’s 30+8. I would think 33+5. I hope the add ons are player related and achievable rather than being related to Newcastle’s club performance 

• Like 2

Interesting that Howe wants him. He'll certainly carry the goal threat and is very efficient in that regard, but his lack of the defensive side may not endear him to some there.

Think it's a little less than we should be getting but ultimately it means we can move on and concentrate on getting wingers in.

Will be sad to see him in a Newcastle shirt. Maybe we can buy him back when we get promoted and they've decided he's on their scrap heap.