Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

Just now, sdb said:

Keep him then! He'd absolutely walk this league. Christ, he did 5 years ago when he was barely out of nappies. If we're letting players go so vastly under price, why not just pay off the donkeys who graze at Seagrave everyday.

If he was worth what you think he is, we would have had clubs fighting over themselves to give us under £40m. The fact is he just isn't a £50m plus player, so we got a fair price to allow us to continue our rebuild. 

The DoF allowing players to run their contracts down means No Club is going to offer us fair market value. It is how it is.  We are going to have to take several more hits this window.

But never mind, the Owners seem to find this situation acceptable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Viva said:

If he was worth what you think he is, we would have had clubs fighting over themselves to give us under £40m. The fact is he just isn't a £50m plus player, so we got a fair price to allow us to continue our rebuild. 

Young English wingers who get 20odd goals and assists in the prem each season objectively are worth £50m though. Yes we've been relegated but Barnes should've been top of the list of players to retain unless a ridiculous offer came in. £38 mill is the wrong type of ridiculous.

Edited by sdb

1 minute ago, mozartfox said:

The DoF allowing players to run their contracts down means No Club is going to offer us fair market value. It is how it is.  We are going to have to take several more hits this window.

By your logic we should have put Barnes up for sale last summer then? Would have still only got a similar price for him. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sdb said:

Keep him then! He'd absolutely walk this league. Christ, he did 5 years ago when he was barely out of nappies. If we're letting players go so vastly under price, why not just pay off the donkeys who graze at Seagrave everyday.

😅 We wouldn’t have much of a squad left if we did that!

7 minutes ago, FosseSpark said:

If players like Praet, Castagne, Faes buy in to Maresca ball then we will be retaining a lot of quality that looked likely to go.

Im presuming that by playing them all in his first XI for second game running that he sees them playing a part.

I'll be disappointed if we don't sell Castagne. Could command a decent fee and we already have players here who can replace him with no drop off in quality (injury history notwithstanding)

3 minutes ago, sdb said:

Young English wingers who get 20odd goals and assists in the prem each season objectively are worth £50m though. Yes we've been relegated but Barnes should've been top of the list of players to retain unless a ridiculous offer came in. £38 mill is the wrong type of ridiculous.

A couple of years ago I'd have maybe said he's worth that kind of money. I think his inconsistent form of the last 18 months has put off the top clubs coming in for him. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

Rudkin masterclass again 

I wonder how it'll be before we get a player of his quality through the academy again

And to rub it in, he's off to the trophy allergic blood money Geordies. Grim. 

Clubs weren’t lining up for him so what was Rudkin to do, we need players in now, to achieve that players have to leave first.

25 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Some people deserve us being in the shit we're in. Probably the same people that were sucking Rodgers off last season 

You really need to move on or stop watching the team.

4 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Since when has a club been able to force the sale of a player if they don’t want to go.

Comments like your have been answered numerous times, beyond me how it doesn’t sink on with some people that the slave trade is no longer and employees have rights.

• Like 1

Well, promotion rests squarely on our ability to bring in 3/4 players of creating goals. We were already short one last year. 

The money's there. We need players good enough to step up and be good in the Premier league as well otherwise we're right back to square one.

Best of luck Mr Glover.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

I see the point of those complaining about the fee, but we have lost a lot of our leverage after getting relegated.

Plus it seemed like only one club really wanted him. There wasn’t a way of driving the price up.

The club have done OK considering.

I don't think it's great business but this is a really crucial point. Newcastle hold all the cards. The club have done some honking business in recent years but I think we've been a bit unlucky that, when it came to the crunch, only one team seemed to be interested in actually bidding for Maddison and only one for Barnes. We needed an auction and it didn't happen with either player.

• Like 1

Shame that he has gone to them especially but going to play CL and we have a quick negotiation which allows us to reinvest. Done very well through the academy and establishing himself as a decent PL player. We needed sales after the loss in PL revenue so hopefully we can put into 3 attacking players as the squad is crying out for them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tielemans63 said:

I don't think it's great business but this is a really crucial point. Newcastle hold all the cards. The club have done some honking business in recent years but I think we've been a bit unlucky that, when it came to the crunch, only one team seemed to be interested in actually bidding for Maddison and only one for Barnes. We needed an auction and it didn't happen with either player.

They just offer the player terms and if he says he wants to join, what's the selling club to do, even if a higher offer comes elsewhere, if the player wants to go to a certain club then yes they hold all the cards, the whole system is wrong

Would have liked closer to fifty, but it was extremely unlikely to see him go for a fee bigger than Maddison’s. 

Just glad this deal has been wrapped up fairly quickly, gives us plenty of time to reinvest in 2-3 wingers for £5-10 million.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

The horse has bolted now and they can't rewind history to make our negotiating position better. You hope the lesson has been learned and the penny drops for where we are and that includes the fans who are having aneurysms at the price, the amounts agreed beyond anyone's understanding of the facts. 

• Like 1

Nothing to like about this deal. Losing our best Academy graduate, to a disgusting club with owners who are a stain on the game, for a shit price. Plus it leaves us with the problem of replacing our best and only threatening winger, responsible for a huge chunk of our goals, with the responsibility falling on a DoF who hasn't even lifted a finger to try to replace Mahrez in all the years since he left. They'll feck about with loans which will fail or be not followed up on if successful, like Lookman. Zero faith in our winger recruitment, and now there's more pressue on it that ever, with not enough money to get the get the job done.

36 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Maddison has more talent. To reiterate, we are a championship club, not premier league. We can't demand high fees anymore, in anyway you sugar coat it. It's not a fantastic deal, but a decent one in our position. 

Nowhere near in my opinion but there we go.

What we need to do, is pull out at the last minute. 

They’ve tapped up our players for 18 - 24 months. Screw em and refuse to deal with them. 

Just now, Rain King said:

Nowhere near in my opinion but there we go.

He has more England caps, has more assists.

I'm not saying Barnes isn't a talented boy, far from it and I'll be sad to see him go, but overall Maddison  is a better player. 

Barnes has been brilliant for us, and as a academy product, has come on leaps and bounds.be a while till we get that quality again. He just needs to improve on his consistency to take him to a new level

Crazy how some people are slating Barnes. He's scored double digit goals last season, and been consistent over the time when he's been fit. A player scoring and assisting that many in the best league in the world isn't something that comes along through academies like ours on a regular basis. It's also something we dreamed about from a winger before we won the title. Some "fans" are truly deluded.

And on those complaining about the fee, we didn't really have much leverage. We're not PL, need the money to rebuild and have a player who wants to leave /.won't tie himself down to a long term contract. No way could we have demanded much more to be honest.

• Like 2