Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

13 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

So it’s a fee that is right for a relegated side but it’s shit?

Like I said, read it again. What are you trying to prove. We’ve sold Barnes at around £40m. Barnes is a youth product who has gradually improved both his goal return and assists. He’s certainly an England prospect. Barnes ability and appeal is the reason he hasn’t gone to Luton or Forest and why it’s Newcastle who have happily disposed of Saint Maxim to get him. 

It’s a fee but this wasn’t a negotiation. There isn’t anything to celebrate here. We’ve been handed the fee that fits a relegated side. We lost the leverage. We lost that leverage largely down to those who are (apparently) celebrating it. Good luck to him. 

Edited by Mickyblueeyes

1 hour ago, splinterdream said:

They just offer the player terms and if he says he wants to join, what's the selling club to do, even if a higher offer comes elsewhere, if the player wants to go to a certain club then yes they hold all the cards, the whole system is wrong

...not sure how you would want the transfer system to play out!!!

The player now has control, irrespective of who has made the bid.

17 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...not sure how you would want the transfer system to play out!!!

The player now has control, irrespective of who has made the bid.

I think bids should be made to clubs in confidence and its up to the club to tell the player who's bid, and if the player wants to move then so be it, they can negotiate terms, what's the point of the tapping up rule? As said before, it's not policable so clubs below those with money always at a disadvantage 

As much as I wanted him to stay, if we've got 40M+ add ons, that's probably around 45M. That's an ok deal. Hopefully we invest the money well, considering we've been looking for a RW since Mahrez left 5yrs ago.

10 minutes ago, sm1 said:

As much as I wanted him to stay, if we've got 40M+ add ons, that's probably around 45M. That's an ok deal. Hopefully we invest the money well, considering we've been looking for a RW since Mahrez left 5yrs ago.

When you look at the money we’ve wasted on transfer fees, wages etc, our recruitment has been nothing short of diabolical.

I think our signings so far have been more shrewd this off season though. 

Time will tell though on that front. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Probably already been said, but last season we looked to extract the maximum amount of value from Wesley Fofana and whilst we did it, the lack of funds we got meant that we could neither find a suitable replacement, nor replenish the squad.

Seems to me this season the club has decided that it's better to take decent to good fees where they can get them, to help reinvest into the squad now. Is that the right call? Will it work? We find out next May, but at least we aren't just doing the exact same thing and hoping for a better outcome.

...we bought in a replacement that Rodgers had for 18 months cajoled to come to this club!!!

The fact that he proved to be unsuitable for the style which we played and was brought in for, was the problem. We were never going to get a fee much greater than what we had and the player also pushed for the deal to be done.

Personally I don’t think he will thrive there. He’s had a really easy ride here putting in minimal effort for large parts of games. I can’t see Howe letting him do that and I’ve yet to see the drive from him he will need to compete at a club with ambitions

• Like 1

The parallels with our last relegation are clear. Our strongest area last season was the midfield, back in 2008 it was our defence (I believe we are the only team ever to be relegated conceding less than a goal a game) in both cases those areas were decimated by sales in the summer. Back then we cobbled together a side with loans and cheaper players, we went on to comfortably get promoted and were much stronger the following season. It might be wishful thinking but maybe we can turn this around. I'm sad to see Barnes leave but maybe history will repeat itself.

7 hours ago, Sly said:

He’s got 2 years left. 

His goals would get us out of this league.

We don’t have goals in our current team. 

We need some attacking players to come in.

Hence why we had to sell Banes to enabler us to bring in 2-3 more players who improve our overall attacking depth. 

I loved Harvey, academy prospect who did fantastically well for us and delivered very good goal involvement numbers, however he is also limited and very much relies on pace. Technically and defensively he is very suspect and therefore he is not in that top level, on his day he can be destructive but inconsistency is very much a part of his game. 

Given his numbers £40m seems a bit short but when you overtax that with his main attribute being pace. his lack of defensive work rate then I actually think £40m Is a pretty good deal for a player who will likely be finished as a top level player by the time he is 29/30 as I don’t believe he has the tactical of technical skills to refine his game once his pace starts to decline. 

Good luck Harvey, now over to the club to hopefully reinvest in attacking talent to take us forward. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

LCFC “delighted” with the fee. The fee is right for a relegated side selling an asset but we’ve just sold two English players who are very likely to be in the national squad next season to one CL club and another who will certainly have aspirations to be there for the same price (including add ons) that we got for Maguire. It’s a shit fee and the board patting themselves on the back for it is another laughable move by the prat Top and his band of idiots. 

Good luck to Barnes. He will thrive at a proper club. 

‘ that prat Top and his band of idiots’ have brought the club unprecedented success, the likes of which we will probably never see again!

Shit happens it’s football we deal with it and move on.

New era new faith in the club.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If we were a PL club then I can see how you force a £50m fee but that’s not where we are and if other clubs really wanted him, then they have had time to bid.

It’s not awful business as some are making out.

Very different to the Fofana or Maguire situations.

9 hours ago, FoxesWalk said:

We have to sell to rebuild the squad, no conspiracy here. If we were in the prem the price would be more like 50m, but we aren’t, and we need to sell. 

We don't need to sell. Especially not at a discount price to Newcastle. 

Just now, ARTY_FOX said:

I do not know but I assume to get the level of rebuild we have committed too, we need to raise cash from our most valuable assets. Barnes lack of defensive discipline was always going to reduce his ceiling price, as exciting as he can be

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

If we want to rebuild the squad we need to sell. We have just lost 2/3rds of our revenue, had a decent chunk of our first team squad leave for free, and our greatest ever goal scorer will soon be 37 years old. Selling Maddison and Barnes makes that relatively comfortable, along with the reported 35-50% salary cuts. 

We could fill the squad without raising money, using free transfers and loans, but I assume we have ambitions to go back up within the next ~2 seasons, and to support our new manager’s tactical plan.

40m + add ons is not terrible, if we were in the Prem we would probably be asking for 10m more? If we reinvest it in a few wide attackers in the mould Maresca wants then I’m fine with it. 

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 1