Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

You can't beat the old jokes for a daily laugh

The Chelsea team visited an orphanage in London today. "It's heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope," said Ben, age six.

Or Everton 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, StanSP said:

Where did this whole play football with a smile on my face thing start? I never used to hear it outside the context of kids football but it seems like its said all the time now, its like some PR trainer thought it would make players sound more human and it exploded from there.

But its bit stupid when its used in the professional context when the stakes are a lot higher. And of course, when do players ever smile during play anyway? 

Edited by Nalis

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Where did this whole play football with a smile on my face thing start? I never used to hear it outside the context of kids football but it seems like its said all the time now, its like some PR trainer thought it would make players sound more human and it exploded from there.

But its bit stupid when its used in the professional context when the stakes are a lot higher. And of course, when do players ever smile during play anyway? 

Presume its ChatGPT adding it.

Below is from when Sancho was at Dortmund in 2019. He had attitude problems at Man City: there's a video when he was a teenager where he refused to acknowledge a player as he was being subbed off (was Foden ironically). Reportedly was late or didn't turn up numerous times for training at Man City. When he has some adversity he throws his toys out the pram - and he's not a great trainer.

Wasn't that long ago he seemed to vanish for a while and Ten Haag seemed to protect him in the press. Sancho's says he's been a scapegoat; he's had about 6 decent games since he joined. There seems to be a pattern starting to form with him.

39 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Don't think that's fair. Bloke scored 17 in the league off the wing last year. We hailed Barnes for managing 9. I think he's looked world class at times. Definitely not consistent enough mind. 

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he should be playing for Sheffield United, but probably more a villa. Whilst he has glimpses of really good play, overall he just disappoints. Tries to do to much every time he has the ball. So many good utd attacks break down because of him not picking an obvious pass that puts someone in a great scoring position. 

In his defence I do forget he's only 25

I have very similar feelings about barnes tbf. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

19 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Am not really surprised with this news.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66713281

He comes across as unspiteful whenever see him play.

Unspiteful?

Antony has no likeability at all. He's not.... at all... good, just seems like United are playing with 10 men whenever he's on the pitch. Luxury player who provides them with very little luxury.

5 minutes ago, Asha said:

Unspiteful?

Antony has no likeability at all. He's not.... at all... good, just seems like United are playing with 10 men whenever he's on the pitch. Luxury player who provides them with very little luxury.

Sorry, did mean to put spiteful - autocorrect put unspiteful down instead, for some reason.

He's like a red card waiting to happen.

Has Morelos vibes to him.

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Honestly laughable he either believes this shit or thinks the public will.

"Henderson said: "I've gone above and beyond to help [the LGBTQ+ community]. I've worn the laces. I've worn the armband." 

Didn't change your Facebook profile pic though did you Jordan?

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Honestly laughable he either believes this shit or thinks the public will.

So called principles go out the window when money comes a calling.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Still find it funny that footballers feel the need to go to Saudi to 'set their family up for life' as if it isn't possible already on the astronomical wages they're on. 

Absolute bollocks. 

Who are we to judge what constitutes setting up a family for life though? Sure JH might have been earning £10m for the last four years but that's not monumentally life changing when it equates to around £5.5m after tax.

Sure, there's endorsements, his tax advisor getting some back in image rights etc, but if you've built your life and income to a house, cars, luxuries and potentially supporting family that might well reach a few million a year. Of course he could live like he's on minimum wage and tuck it all away, we know he's not doing that. No-one would do that, no matter how much they claimed they would.

There is a life-changing difference between a £5.5m take home pay after tax per year, and earning (reportedly) £36.4m a year tax free in Saudi, there just is.

Tbh I don't completely disagree with you, neither he or his family would've suffered if he'd stayed and seen out his career at Liverpool, but if his wages are what is being said, you really, really can do a lot more with that money.

6 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Who are we to judge what constitutes setting up a family for life though? Sure JH might have been earning £10m for the last four years but that's not monumentally life changing when it equates to around £5.5m after tax.

Sure, there's endorsements, his tax advisor getting some back in image rights etc, but if you've built your life and income to a house, cars, luxuries and potentially supporting family that might well reach a few million a year. Of course he could live like he's on minimum wage and tuck it all away, we know he's not doing that. No-one would do that, no matter how much they claimed they would.

There is a life-changing difference between a £5.5m take home pay after tax per year, and earning (reportedly) £36.4m a year tax free in Saudi, there just is.

Tbh I don't completely disagree with you, neither he or his family would've suffered if he'd stayed and seen out his career at Liverpool, but if his wages are what is being said, you really, really can do a lot more with that money.

You can do a lot more, of course but if you can't set up your family for a couple of generations on the income he was earning, then there's a more glaring issue or he needs a new financial advisor!

• Like 1