Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

24 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Everton being sold to 777 Partners. An American investment firm. Not exactly the best news for them considering what's happened at Hertha Berlin. 

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/hertha-berlin-777-partners-lars-windhorst/?zephr_sso_ott=bvv8fX

Sounds like they want to mop up as many clubs for as cheap as possible. I can't see them pumping much money in other than what is needed to pay their debts off. 

Hertha isn't even the worse. Standard Liege and Vasco big examples. 

Their investment in British Basketball is rumoured to be going pop. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jaspa said:

They'll make 9 of the clubs currently in the Premier League, American owned.

Depends if you count dual American-Pakistan Fulham owner Shahid Khan in which case the number is 10.

22 hours ago, filbertway said:

That'd make it a concerning 10 clubs with a majority American ownership. 4 more to go till they can close it off.

There’s quite a few in the Champ too, so if three of those get promoted like Leeds, Birmingham and Ipswich, it’s right on the cusp.

You’d imagine they could already team up with the Saudis and UAE to close it off now though if they wanted, so hopefully it won’t happen. 

Edited by when_you're_smiling

On 12/09/2023 at 06:40, CosbehFox said:

Everton are literally committing suicide there - possibility of it failing the PL fit and proper test given the main person behind 777 has a criminal record. 

They let MBS buy newcastle. Kashoggi who? Would be hypocritical IMO but then again, i wouldnt be surprised for them to make up shit as they go.

If it couldn't get any worse for Maguire we've now reached the point where his mum is in the press.

I feel bad for the guy but it seems all the people close to him just make it worse. His mum should no comment; how does this help him. Southgate complaining in the press; yet he's made it worse than anyone. He shouldn't be picking him precisely because of what happened the other day. 

Family need to support him privately but stay out the press. 

Some of the criticism is over the top, every little thing he does is under a microscope and its becoming a bit weird. 

However he shouldn't be picked for England currently. Keep him in the squad if you want to manage morale etc but he needs a low profile for a bit. 

Had he gone to West Ham he'd probably resurrect his career at a club with far less media spot light and far less expectations. Maybe Maguire should have forgone a small portion of his wages + Man Utd subsidise part of his wages in an effort to make everyone happy. But nobody wanted to compromise. Southgate also need to take some responsibility.

• Like 3

On 11/09/2023 at 02:52, Super_horns said:

I see Harry Kane has upset the Spurs fans by saying losing with them didn’t mean as much as it would at Munich .

They think it means his heart wasn’t in it and as captain set a poor example 

Of course such interviews will be a bit of PR to get support from the Munich fans .

Apparently the media and hierarchy are pretty hard on them even if they win too depending on the performance.

He meant that he was so used to it at Spurs

:ph34r:

• Like 1

Maguire had chance to go to a good club and still play at good level. Would've probably been solid under Moyes as well.

I don't feel sorry for players who'd rather just stay and not play.

He shouldn't be near the England squad though and Southgate needs to take responsibility for that.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Koke said:

Had he gone to West Ham he'd probably resurrect his career at a club with far less media spot light and far less expectations. Maybe Maguire should have forgone a small portion of his wages + Man Utd subsidise part of his wages in an effort to make everyone happy. But nobody wanted to compromise. Southgate also need to take some responsibility.

Should’ve done what Chris Smalling did and go to the Serie A or Bundesliga. Go and enjoy playing football again without the limelight. 

2 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

Manchester United are a basket case of a club, we will no doubt win the championship league again :D before they win the premier league again.

This, yes. Lol

We arent ever winning the EPL in the current format again even if we get promoted. No chance.

On 13/09/2023 at 11:19, Finnegan said:

The Americans worry me the most though. I can put up (to an extent, I'd obviously rather none of it) with billionaires coming in with vanity projects just to show off that they own a Premier League club.

As much as, culturally, I might hate sports washing monarchies, a lot of Middle Eastern and Asian owners don't give a shit if they lose money. They're not really looking to change the game or profit, they're throwing their cash around to show it off. 

American investment firms, hedge funds and cynical billionaires, however? These people want a return. They come from a culture of sporting closed shops, sport as a tool for mass advertising and to treat their clubs as products to cash in on. 

The latter is far more damaging for the sport and for us as fans, imo. 

100% agree. Said this ages. The Arabs are fuelling an ego, the Americans want to actually fundamentally change the sport. As an actual football fan I consider the latter more damaging.

2 hours ago, Wortho said:

I know it’s not about money, but Sancho is good but £72m is ridiculous 

Yes particularly if he isn’t going to play now .

Is there more to this than meets the eye or just a typical modern day player throwing his toys out of the pram as the manager doesn’t like him or wants to select him ?