Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

FSA

Anger at prospect of late Sunday kick-offs

Reports appeared in the Telegraph this week about the potential for 6.30pm kick-off slot in the Premier League's next TV deal.

At this stage we don't know how much truth there are to the reports but even suggesting such a thing has led to a significant backlash already. Sunday evening KOs would cause havoc for the average matchgoing fan's schedule and the FSA 100% oppose the prospect.

It's a shocking idea but not one we're unfamiliar with as fans in the WSL have put up with this for years.

Only last year we wrote that WSL supporters "fear that the range of early and late games, particularly on a Sunday midday or Sunday evening, are driving down attendances and discouraging families with children from attending."

The football authorities and clubs like to showcase their green credentials too, but this seems to go out of the window for TV. Sunday evening KOs mean more fans travelling by car, as public transport is scarce, which undermines aims to reduce the game’s environmental impact.

One of the most positive steps the game could take is to put far more thought into how clubs and supporters travel to games, maximising public transport options with sensible fixture scheduling and putting on subsidised coach transport where affordable.

We'd encourage all top-flight supporters' groups to raise this ASAP in their upcoming supporter engagement meetings. Ultimately clubs own the rights and selling out their own supporters is a choice.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I know we all hate Spurs but the more I hear from Ange the more I like him.

Seems like a genuine bloke who's well grounded and I bet the players love working with him.

Nice little clip of him chewing the fat with Lineker here. Good luck to him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/66883612

Yeah he seems like a fantastic human being tbf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah he seems like a fantastic human being tbf

Got me thinking - how many fantastic human beings are there really across professional sport?

Apart from Ange, Ranieri, and Kevin Sinfield, I'm struggling to think of any.

Maybe a separate thread required...

Just now, Izzy said:

Got me thinking - how many fantastic human beings are there really across professional sport?

Apart from Ange, Ranieri, and Kevin Sinfield, I'm struggling to think of any.

Maybe a separate thread required...

Probably a lot to be fair they just likely keep their heads down and just crack on and you'll never know. 

I work under the assumption most people are fairly decent. Football is just odd, especially in this country, most British footballers (in the Prem at least) are probably millionaires by 22 and even before that they never really had much grasp of reality to ground them that much. 

20 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Big test for Luton today, they really have to get a win or I don't see where they are going to get one from.

My prediction Luton 0 Wolves 1

Alternatively, we end up losing and we have Man City and Villa up next. Must win for us really. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Alternatively, we end up losing and we have Man City and Villa up next. Must win for us really. 

Well we've been utter shite so far. Luton are another shithousing diving bunch to go with other teams like Bournemouth and Brentford. 

Our guy got sent off but was done up like a kipper. Lockyer had Bellegarde in a WWE style leg lock on the floor and Bellegarde tried to shove him off but used his studs. Red card for a studs up "kick". Very tame in reality but he should know better. 

Another horrendous VAR decision gifts Luton a penalty against us. Ball deflects up off defenders foot onto his arm. Ref gives it, VAR checks it and rules it correct. Even Mike Dean said it should have been overturned FFS! 

His arm was above his head which I think confuses things, but its another decision which makes us and VAR almost a parody nowadays with the shit we get served up. 

43 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Another horrendous VAR decision gifts Luton a penalty against us. Ball deflects up off defenders foot onto his arm. Ref gives it, VAR checks it and rules it correct. Even Mike Dean said it should have been overturned FFS! 

His arm was above his head which I think confuses things, but its another decision which makes us and VAR almost a parody nowadays with the shit we get served up. 

It's ruining Premier League football

All we ever wanted was obvious nonsense like Frankie Lampard's goal v Germany

They've twisted it beyond recognition

3 minutes ago, Tuna said:

It's ruining Premier League football

All we ever wanted was obvious nonsense like Frankie Lampard's goal v Germany

They've twisted it beyond recognition

It badly needs taking out of PGMOLs hand and into an independent panel of ex players and refs, etc. How the Premier League can't see that is anyone's guess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

It badly needs taking out of PGMOLs hand and into an independent panel of ex players and refs, etc. How the Premier League can't see that is anyone's guess. 

Refs from abroad ?

Not sure ex players would want to do it as  no doubt they would have to start from the bottom up and learn the laws .

13 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Listening to Crouch and Rio laud plaudits on Evans is laughable. Did they just switch off their viewpoints of him from last season?

Or last week and after the defeats v Villa, Fulham and Wolves ?

Fickle .

Is Maguire injured or really out of favour .

• Like 1