Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

If anyone is going to force a replayed game because of a bad decision, its Liverpool lol 

Memory could be failing me here; but I don't remember any more than an apology when Sheff Utd were relegated due to goal line tech being turned off with their game against Villa 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Memory could be failing me here; but I don't remember any more than an apology when Sheff Utd were relegated due to goal line tech being turned off with their game against Villa 

With all due respect, what do Sheffield United offer the premier league? Liverpool are the premier league and deserve a replay as the greatest team in the world. 

On 30/09/2023 at 21:19, grobyfox1990 said:

??? Wolves got denied a blatant pen at old Trafford and it got days of airtime and rightly so

And Bournemouth got relegated in 2020 due to goal line tech failing (not VAR, fair enough). A £200m error but nothing got done and very little fuss was made about it.

Edited by Matt

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Hadn’t actually seen this post till after posting what I have above lol 

Sheff Utd finished 11th. Sheff Utd had a goal disallowed against Villa despite clearly being over the line, the game finished 0-0.

Villa stayed up on 35 points, Bournemouth go relegated on 34 - that point was crucial for Villa.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

I hate VAR and would scrap it tomorrow. But the gulf in its use in the Prem Vs international tournaments is absolutely staggering.

They don't have anything like this drama with VAR in other leagues. 

Funny that the league with the most money invested in it by unscrupulous billionaires has the most problems with having it's officiating come under close scrutiny from VAR. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Funny that the league with the most money invested in it by unscrupulous billionaires has the most problems with having it's officiating come under close scrutiny from VAR. 

Yep.

The flaw is human, and both other leagues and other sports show it can be mitigated. So mitigate it, don't throw the tech out simply because the folks currently running it lack competence.

Bournemouth were not relegated due to one VAR error, they were relegated because they were shit for 38 games.

It's swings and roundabouts. Liverpool will get a decision go for them soon.

I don't buy all this "it could cost them". The season is played over 38 games. You don't fail to meet targets because of one mistake. There will be games where players make mistakes and cost games.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Matt said:

And Bournemouth got relegated in 2020 due to goal line tech failing (not VAR, fair enough). A £200m error but nothing got done and very little fuss was made about it.

Bournemouth got relegated because they were terrible. Fair enough there was no outcry about it, that was your point. I do think these dramas are played out more since var came in. In a pre var world Diaz is flagged off and that’s that. 
The issues are so clearly with the humans running the game, not the tech itself, improve them, no need to ditch the tech. The people saying ‘ditch var’ are prob the ones howling to hoof it up to Steve Howard everytime we have the ball 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Bournemouth were not relegated due to one VAR error, they were relegated because they were shit for 38 games.

It's swings and roundabouts. Liverpool will get a decision go for them soon.

I don't buy all this "it could cost them". The season is played over 38 games. You don't fail to meet targets because of one mistake. There will be games where players make mistakes and cost games.

Agreed. Liverpool looked fantastic with 9 men away to spurs, they’ll be up there at the end of the season and will no doubt get some big decisions go their way too 

30 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Bournemouth got relegated because they were terrible. Fair enough there was no outcry about it, that was your point. I do think these dramas are played out more since var came in. In a pre var world Diaz is flagged off and that’s that. 
The issues are so clearly with the humans running the game, not the tech itself, improve them, no need to ditch the tech. The people saying ‘ditch var’ are prob the ones howling to hoof it up to Steve Howard everytime we have the ball 

I think that's a certainty rather than a probability tbh.

• Like 1

Not to massively simplify the situation but...

If VAR didn't exist..... it's still not a goal.

Feel like not enough people responding to Liverpool anger have raised this point lol 

Makes me think of the point @RowlattsFox makes above, happens in other countries but they just get on with it because.... y'know... human error with or without VAR.

• Like 1

They really are a vile club with a victim mentality from top to bottom. When we played them, everytime Hamza went for a tackle you could see Klopp jumping up and down, grinding his false teeth and wanting a card. Always the victims, even though they're probably going to get more decisions go there way then not. I'm surprised there vile fan base haven't started to send death threats to the ref and VAR officials. 

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

See the spotlight has now moved to the VAR officials having officiated in the UAE a few days prior to the game. 

I don't understand why this is such a big thing that Liverpool are pointing to. 

Who cares?! 

It really grates on me how much Liverpool think they're constantly hard done by by the PGMOL. As if it's only them that decisions go against, or they lose out. As if they've never had anything go in their favour... 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Who cares?! 

It really grates on me how much Liverpool think they're constantly hard done by by the PGMOL. As if it's only them that decisions go against, or they lose out. As if they've never had anything go in their favour... 

Exactly the same view here, footballers are congratulated for taking advantage of the opportunities to make money. Yet a person in the same industry does and they're hyper analysed. 

Always has been the case, they try to build an us Vs them narrative at all times

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Who cares?! 

I’ve been thinking the same. If it had related to Luton or Sheff Utd it would have got a fraction of the attention that this has. It’s hardly as if this is the first big mistake by VAR. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Is that true? Or does the PL not just have more of ours and the media's attention? 

Can't say I follow the other leagues enough to know results, let alone the latest bad decision/VAR controversy

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Exactly the same view here, footballers are congratulated for taking advantage of the opportunities to make money. Yet a person in the same industry does and they're hyper analysed. 

Always has been the case, they try to build an us Vs them narrative at all times

Agreed, not sure why it makes a difference that Michael Oliver et al were creaming the oil money midweek. 
Although not sure where your second point has come from!!! All those moving to Saudi to cash in are getting insane levels of abuse. 

2 hours ago, AjcW said:

Not to massively simplify the situation but...

If VAR didn't exist..... it's still not a goal.

Feel like not enough people responding to Liverpool anger have raised this point lol 

Makes me think of the point @RowlattsFox makes above, happens in other countries but they just get on with it because.... y'know... human error with or without VAR.

That isn't necessarily true.  When VAR is present, the linesman has to make a judgement as to whether one man's shoulder (or the part that is legal to touch the ball) is ahead of another man's toe end.  If he thinks, n balance, that it's 60% chance that the toe was further forward, then he will (eventually) flag.

If VAR is not present, then he will decide the players are level and will not flag.  One of VAR's primary roles is to disallow goals that would have been given in the past, or in the Championship for that matter, because the players were level to normal view but not quite level when the white heat of technology is used.  It's not easy to say why disallowing what were thought of as good goals is a worthy way to improve the game, but there it is.

12 hours ago, Jaspa said:

Only seen 2 angles of the penalty Gordon won for Newcastle this weekend, but like the other week it looks like he's completely sold it to the ref.

He knew it was coming and made sure that he went down, but there is no way that wouldn't be given, with or without VAR.  It was a foul.  Unfortunately.