Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

I don’t blame the humans, the process has failed the VAR operatives. The VAR had done everything right, however, poor/a lack of communication from the on field team meant the VAR thought a goal had already been given. We don’t need massive change because of this, all it needs is a change of what is said from both the on field official and the VAR, to “my original decision is goal/no goal” and “Check complete. Award/disallow goal”. 

Edited by Ian Nacho
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Darren England needs either a very long lay-off, or just sacked.

There's no way Liverpool fans will have him anywhere near their games, without making a LOT of noise, and you can't have fans choosing the officials.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zear0 said:

Laughable it's the bloke operating the video equipment is the most competant one of the lot. 

The disgust in his voice when they get it wrong is hilarious. You can tell he can’t believe what’s going on. 

Shocking how usually they take AGES on these decisions… all this one took was a clear 10 second conversation and this could’ve been avoided.

Ref: Question ‘is it onside or offside?’

VAR: Onside, award a goal.

Ref: Onside, award a goal, please confirm.

VAR: Correct, onside, award a goal.

The process is the issue as much as anything here. 

36 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Had play restarted at that point or not because my understanding is once they cannot go back to the decision being checked.

Is that right ?

Correct but there is a reason for this. IFAB never considered that what happened on Saturday was possible. Once play is restarted the protocol is that you can’t re open any var check. This is to take into account a new angle on an incident being found a couple minutes after a decision has been made.  You have to ‘draw the line’ (sorry) to close the check. 

anyway, the var should have broken protocol on Saturday because this was a unique situation. There will likely now be a new protocol introduced to take account of var comms error where the game can be stopped within fifteen seconds of being restarted.   What stands out for me on this is the lino saying ‘delay, delay, delay’ whilst Diaz runs through.  That clearly means he is calling offside. Otherwise he’d say nothing. So how did the var and avar both not hear this ???.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

anyway, the var should have broken protocol on Saturday because this was a unique situation. There will likely now be a new protocol introduced to take account of var comms error where the game can be stopped within fifteen seconds of being restarted.   What stands out for me on this is the lino saying ‘delay, delay, delay’ whilst Diaz runs through.  That clearly means he is calling offside. Otherwise he’d say nothing. So how did the var and avar both not hear this ???.

Just sheer incompetence and complacency across the board (barring the replay operator). 

What I find odd is that the ref Simon Hooper is not privy to all of this, but he's now lumped in with the officials that got it wrong. But what could he do?! 

The PGMOL Hub Ops also say 'delay the game' after it's already restarted. But VAR just brush it off 'can't do anything'. Quite clearly I think they should have broken the protocol/rules to get to the right decision and correct their error. Might piss off Spurs but in this unique situation I'm sure they'd have got over it.

The biggest learning from this must be the standard of comms as @Leeds Fox stated. Make it clear what the decision is before the check. Make it clear what you're checking. Make it clear what the final decision is.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Just sheer incompetence and complacency across the board (barring the replay operator). 

What I find odd is that the ref Simon Hooper is not privy to all of this, but he's now lumped in with the officials that got it wrong. But what could he do?! 

The PGMOL Hub Ops also say 'delay the game' after it's already restarted. But VAR just brush it off 'can't do anything'. Quite clearly I think they should have broken the protocol/rules to get to the right decision and correct their error. Might piss off Spurs but in this unique situation I'm sure they'd have got over it.

The biggest learning from this must be the standard of comms as @Leeds Fox stated. Make it clear what the decision is before the check. Make it clear what you're checking. Make it clear what the final decision is.

Surely they would be watching the game so could see that offside was given ?

15 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

You’d think so, however if you check, and double check understanding, this incident could’ve been negated. 

They actually did the check quickly (mainly because it was clear), which is something most fans have been asking for. The extra few seconds wouldn’t have been a major issue.

4 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

We wouldn't be getting all this VAR bollocks if it wasn't for Liverpool. Had it been Luton we wouldn't have heard a thing.

Who cares. At least Liverpool have pushed for it to show the incompetence. If Luton, or any smaller team, don’t do the same then that’s up to them. 

26 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

the var and avar are checking the lead up to what they believe is a goal. There are two more avar’s who are checking the lead up to the goal to make sure there is nothing to check. The var and his avar assistant are checking the offside. No one is watching the live feed to see that offside has been given and Diaz isn’t celebrating 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

The PGMOL Hub Ops also say 'delay the game' after it's already restarted. But VAR just brush it off 'can't do anything'. Quite clearly I think they should have broken the protocol/rules to get to the right decision and correct their error

On ref watch yesterday Stephen warnock was saying the same thing, tell the referee that there has been a communication error, explain the situation, get the ref to talk to both captains and managers to explain, drop ball and suggest that Liverpool are allowed to score

dermot said that wasn’t possible because the rules don’t allow that to happen, once the ball is back in play, the previous play is locked 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1