Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

What I find odd is that the ref Simon Hooper is not privy to all of this, but he's now lumped in with the officials that got it wrong. But what could he do?! 

Forgot to include this above, the Ref wasn’t even told there was an issue with the goal until halftime 

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Who cares. At least Liverpool have pushed for it to show the incompetence. If Luton, or any smaller team, don’t do the same then that’s up to them. 

Well, obviously we do else we wouldn't be commenting. We all know VAR is not the panacea many craved for.

Mistakes will be made because humans are involved and always will be. Folk should be careful what they wish for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jammie82uk said:

On ref watch yesterday Stephen warnock was saying the same thing, tell the referee that there has been a communication error, explain the situation, get the ref to talk to both captains and managers to explain, drop ball and suggest that Liverpool are allowed to score

dermot said that wasn’t possible because the rules don’t allow that to happen, once the ball is back in play, the previous play is locked 

And would Spurs really do that in today's cut throat football world?

I bet they couldn't care less Liverpool were robbed of a goal. 

I think even some of their fans and the manager even said yes we got lucky but last week had a bad call against us v Arsenal.

Albeit this is rather different to a subjective call.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

Surely they would be watching the game so could see that offside was given ?

They were checking for possible holding just before the ‘goal’. I guess over the course of the 90 minutes they are looking at so many things it must be difficult to move from one to another with a clear mind. It is obvious that offside has been given when you are sitting at home listening to the commentary and are not concentrating on numerous other incidents. So I do have a bit of sympathy with England and hope that changes are made to the communication between var and the ref to stop this from happening again.

10 hours ago, Super_horns said:

And would Spurs really do that in today's cut throat football world?

No idea although in that situation if Spurs didn’t allow it then they would probably be getting the brunt of the fallout instead of the PGMOL 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Correct but there is a reason for this. IFAB never considered that what happened on Saturday was possible. Once play is restarted the protocol is that you can’t re open any var check. This is to take into account a new angle on an incident being found a couple minutes after a decision has been made.  You have to ‘draw the line’ (sorry) to close the check. 

anyway, the var should have broken protocol on Saturday because this was a unique situation. There will likely now be a new protocol introduced to take account of var comms error where the game can be stopped within fifteen seconds of being restarted.   What stands out for me on this is the lino saying ‘delay, delay, delay’ whilst Diaz runs through.  That clearly means he is calling offside. Otherwise he’d say nothing. So how did the var and avar both not hear this ???.

Exactly this. 

13 hours ago, StanSP said:

Just sheer incompetence and complacency across the board (barring the replay operator). 

What I find odd is that the ref Simon Hooper is not privy to all of this, but he's now lumped in with the officials that got it wrong. But what could he do?! 

The PGMOL Hub Ops also say 'delay the game' after it's already restarted. But VAR just brush it off 'can't do anything'. Quite clearly I think they should have broken the protocol/rules to get to the right decision and correct their error. Might piss off Spurs but in this unique situation I'm sure they'd have got over it.

The biggest learning from this must be the standard of comms as @Leeds Fox stated. Make it clear what the decision is before the check. Make it clear what you're checking. Make it clear what the final decision is.

Can't believe how many people are advocating for "The refs at their own discretion should have the power to break the laws of the game" that is a huge can of worms to open. 

By all means, if the teams were more aware of this gaffe during the game, and on their own decided to let Liverpool kick it in, then fine. But the Ref can never be involved in that sort of thing. 

12 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Well, obviously we do else we wouldn't be commenting. We all know VAR is not the panacea many craved for.

Mistakes will be made because humans are involved and always will be. Folk should be careful what they wish for.

I was referring to not caring about what team appeals it. If it takes Liverpool to call out incompetence then so be it. I wasn't disputing the fact we're talking about the subject.

Of course mistakes will be make, I have always argued it's the rubbish referees behind it, but that was more than a mistake. The audio makes it sound like they didn't even know what the onside decision was.

Did I imagine it, or have I seen teams be dragged back onto the pitch after full-time to take a penalty following a VAR review?  The whole "they've re-started" thing is complete bollocks.

39 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Did I imagine it, or have I seen teams be dragged back onto the pitch after full-time to take a penalty following a VAR review?  The whole "they've re-started" thing is complete bollocks.

That was Man U at brighton (and it’s happened in Germany where one team had reached the changing rooms ) 

that fit into the IFAB protocol.  A var check cannot be re opened once play has restarted following that check. 

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 2

Well madly this is looking more & more like that it could be replayed it would just depend on how much Liverpool push, all the i's & T's are being looked at legally.

It's thought that Liverpool will push for the ruling but not seek to play now & leave it open until the end of the season & if they lose out on the title or a place within the league they will submit the replay request.

can, worms, everywhere!

7 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

A replayed game is gonna be great, especially when there's a VAR decision during it.

Get it done. We all want to see it.

And the VAR decision/howler to be in Liverpool's favour to see the opponent go equally up in arms. And forever there will be replays...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Well madly this is looking more & more like that it could be replayed it would just depend on how much Liverpool push, all the i's & T's are being looked at legally.

It's thought that Liverpool will push for the ruling but not seek to play now & leave it open until the end of the season & if they lose out on the title or a place within the league they will submit the replay request.

can, worms, everywhere!

It won’t be replayed.

How would Spurs feel about it all ?

Having to replay a match through no fault of their own .

"Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says a replay of the Premier League match against Tottenham "would be the right thing" after Luis Diaz's goal was wrongly disallowed by the video assistant referee."

F**k off

• Like 1

Too many games in a season but now wants a replay to a game that couldn't be restarted. 

Make your mind up Jurgen. Can't replay a game everytime something doesn't go your way. 

In fact, would love the replay to happen only for them to get absolutely humiliated. Maddison hat-trick please. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Too many games in a season but now wants a replay to a game that couldn't be restarted. 

Make your mind up Jurgen. Can't replay a game everytime something doesn't go your way. 

In fact, would love the replay to happen only for them to get absolutely humiliated. Maddison hat-trick please. 

+ wouldn't it be hugely ironic if he lost a few players to long term injuries during that reply & couldn't start the following season all for an additional 2.2m in league place gained

11 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

"Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says a replay of the Premier League match against Tottenham "would be the right thing" after Luis Diaz's goal was wrongly disallowed by the video assistant referee."

F**k off

How is it any different to a ref making a mistake? 

All we hear from the anti VAR brigade is that they're fine with human error it's just a normal part of the game and refs aren't flawless. Well OK neither is the video ref. 

It's obviously a mistake but that's luck of the draw. It screws everyone all the time. 

I had hoped that having had time to calm down he'd acknowledge that and be philosophical about it and move on. Calling for a replay is fvcking stupid. 

• Like 1

Just now, Finnegan said:

How is it any different to a ref making a mistake? 

All we hear from the anti VAR brigade is that they're fine with human error it's just a normal part of the game and refs aren't flawless. Well OK neither is the video ref. 

It's obviously a mistake but that's luck of the draw. It screws everyone all the time. 

I had hoped that having had time to calm down he'd acknowledge that and be philosophical about it and move on. Calling for a replay is fvcking stupid. 

It isn't and that's my irritation with the whole affair.  As you say, is the VAR mucking up any different to the ref mucking up?  Not great being aided by tech, but they're the same as far as I'm concerned.

At least they've dropped that bizarre, "they were in UAE recently, therefore it was blatant corruption" angle.

''Something like this never happened, so that is why I think a replay is the right thing to do,"

Is he kidding? There are literally hundreds upon hundreds of officiating mistakes made - those which are not subjective but there's no calls to replay games. 

What a load of utter nonsense lol

Yes, it's shocking that they got the decision wrong given the access to technology. But throughout the history of football referees have got decisions wrong, that doesn't mean we replay the match afterwards when we realise. 

I also personally demand a replay of our away tie at Atletico in 2017. Oh, and the Cardiff play off semi-final whilst you're at it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Osavo said:

What a load of utter nonsense lol

Yes, it's shocking that they got the decision wrong given the access to technology. But throughout the history of football referees have got decisions wrong, that doesn't mean we replay the match afterwards when we realise. 

I also personally demand a replay of our away tie at Atletico in 2017. Oh, and the Cardiff play off semi-final whilst you're at it. 

Asking for a replay is nonsense but the issue is we have VAR now, we didn't have it back then for those games.

As I said before it's swings and roundabouts. There will be a game later in the season where a decision goes in the favour of Liverpool.

7 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Asking for a replay is nonsense but the issue is we have VAR now, we didn't have it back then for those games.

As I said before it's swings and roundabouts. There will be a game later in the season where a decision goes in the favour of Liverpool.

Unless they are all calculated by WUMs then it would seem that Liverpool are the team with most decisions going in their favour anyway :dunno: