Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

16 minutes ago, Osavo said:

What a load of utter nonsense lol

Yes, it's shocking that they got the decision wrong given the access to technology. But throughout the history of football referees have got decisions wrong, that doesn't mean we replay the match afterwards when we realise. 

I also personally demand a replay of our away tie at Atletico in 2017. Oh, and the Cardiff play off semi-final whilst you're at it. 

Agree with this.  I think we had a good goal ruled out for offside in 1949 Cup Final. Need to get on to Wolves to replay that too

28 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Asking for a replay is nonsense but the issue is we have VAR now, we didn't have it back then for those games.

As I said before it's swings and roundabouts. There will be a game later in the season where a decision goes in the favour of Liverpool.

Oh I totally agree, as I acknowledged. It's shambolic that the incorrect decision was made given technology is in place to deal with these incidents. VAR is clearly not fit for purpose, especially the way it is being implemented currently in the PL and needs a serious review. Personally, I would get rid altogether but that's a wholly different debate.

My point was that mistakes have always been made refereeing, and all VAR is is a higher quality (allegedly) application of the rules. When it and its operatives make an error fixtures shouldn't be replayed, just as they shouldn't be, and never have been, when a human referee makes a mistake. 

I suspect Klopp doesn't truly believe what he's saying however. Imagine he's just kicking up as much of a fuss to give himself and Liverpool some credit to leverage in future against the PL.

• Like 1

Let's, from now on, have every game replayed where VAR makes a mistake which are not rectified at the time.

My God, the season will be going on for 12 months. They'll be no time for League, European or FA cup matches.

What a bloody farce!!

32 minutes ago, Corky said:

Wouldn't voiding the game conveniently get two red cards cancelled, too?

talking of which, i'm so glad that the Jones Red was upheld as i had a nasty suspicion that the appeals committee were going to take 1 for the team & rule it out

5 hours ago, StanSP said:

So Darren England now won't do any Liverpool games this season. 

How long before no refs are able to do a Liverpool game because they didn't like how a decision went? Last season it was Paul Tierney, this season Darren England. 

How do Liverpool get to choose who officiates them in future? 

Anthony Taylor is regularly lambasted by Chelsea and their fans for still getting their games after dubious errors. But he still continues? 

Liverpool have far too much power to be able to dictate things like this. 

Taylor is an excellent ref IMO , one of our best . Chelsea fans are ignorant scrotes and deserve all they get :D

I agree with your point about Liverpool though 

On 04/10/2023 at 13:59, Zear0 said:

It isn't and that's my irritation with the whole affair.  As you say, is the VAR mucking up any different to the ref mucking up?  Not great being aided by tech, but they're the same as far as I'm concerned.

At least they've dropped that bizarre, "they were in UAE recently, therefore it was blatant corruption" angle.

On 04/10/2023 at 13:59, CosbehFox said:

''Something like this never happened, so that is why I think a replay is the right thing to do,"

Is he kidding? There are literally hundreds upon hundreds of officiating mistakes made - those which are not subjective but there's no calls to replay games. 

On 04/10/2023 at 14:07, Osavo said:

What a load of utter nonsense lol

Yes, it's shocking that they got the decision wrong given the access to technology. But throughout the history of football referees have got decisions wrong, that doesn't mean we replay the match afterwards when we realise. 

I also personally demand a replay of our away tie at Atletico in 2017. Oh, and the Cardiff play off semi-final whilst you're at it. 

I totally disagree with the idea of a replay. 

But to be fair to Klopp this Diaz offside incident is unprecedented. This wasn't simply a 'bad' or 'wrong' decision...

It's not like the VAR saw footage that was clearly onside and then made a terrible decision to say it was offside.

VAR made the correct decision to say it was onside, it's just that the combination of them thinking the onfield decision was also onside + poor communication, which resulted in a perfectly good goal being chalked off.

Is there another example of a perfectly good goal being ruled out, based on procedure not decisions?

6 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I totally disagree with the idea of a replay. 

But to be fair to Klopp this Diaz offside incident is unprecedented. This wasn't simply a 'bad' or 'wrong' decision...

It's not like the VAR saw footage that was clearly onside and then made a terrible decision to say it was offside.

VAR made the correct decision to say it was onside, it's just that the combination of them thinking the onfield decision was also onside + poor communication, which resulted in a perfectly good goal being chalked off.

Is there another example of a perfectly good goal being ruled out, based on procedure not decisions?

Guess a more accurate equivalence was when they forgot to turn on Hawkeye in the Villa Shef Utd game a few years ago.