Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

"Clear & Obvious" should be changed to  "Reasonable Doubt." it's just far too high a bar as it stands and allows VAR officials to bottle decisions and not put pressure on their colleagues. 

With a call of reasonable doubt, that way the ref can go and have a look and decide for himself whether he's made the right decision. I'm sure the on field ref would much prefer to make that judgment themselves, rather than hearing in his ear that he's got it wrong and needs to go over and look to confirm and then change the decision. 

53 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Kompany’s description is very good !

It is a lottery .

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67252311.amp

I'm not so worried about that one tbh. If the VAR official realises he's drawn the lines from the wrong position of course he should change it and make sure it's more accurate. In this case you have to assume he was ultimately correct in ruling it out, even if it took a long time to get to the correct decision. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Bear said:

"Clear & Obvious" should be changed to  "Reasonable Doubt." it's just far too high a bar as it stands and allows VAR officials to bottle decisions and not put pressure on their colleagues. 

With a call of reasonable doubt, that way the ref can go and have a look and decide for himself whether he's made the right decision. I'm sure the on field ref would much prefer to make that judgment themselves, rather than hearing in his ear that he's got it wrong and needs to go over and look to confirm and then change the decision. 

I think the biggest problem is that on field different referees will have a different opinion on things. It was said during the game had another ref not given that it’s probably not over turned. 

11 minutes ago, The Bear said:

7 minutes ago, Bert said:

I think the biggest problem is that on field different referees will have a different opinion on things. It was said during the game had another ref not given that it’s probably not over turned. 

At the moment var is only supposed to be for howlers 

too many people think it’s about making the right call - it isn’t 

the right call in a subjective incident is full of doubt on all sides. That doesn’t mean it’s a howler of a decision. Think about 100 people watching an incident - if 90+ of them agree and the ref has decided the opposite then it’s reasonable to call it a howler. Otherwise it’s just how it is.
fwiw, I reckon var will evolve so that the var will be paramount and we will be re refereeing incidents and deciding for the onfield official. Unfortunately. 

23 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

At the moment var is only supposed to be for howlers 

too many people think it’s about making the right call - it isn’t 

the right call in a subjective incident is full of doubt on all sides. That doesn’t mean it’s a howler of a decision. Think about 100 people watching an incident - if 90+ of them agree and the ref has decided the opposite then it’s reasonable to call it a howler. Otherwise it’s just how it is.
fwiw, I reckon var will evolve so that the var will be paramount and we will be re refereeing incidents and deciding for the onfield official. Unfortunately. 

The only opinion that matters is the guy reffing the game. Which is why I'd rather VAR to be there to tell him to have another look at any big decisions which might be wrong. Especially since he only gets one look at full speed. Give him a chance to correct any of his own errors. If he then decides "nah there's not enough in that to change my decision" then fair enough. At least he's had two looks at it and is sure in his own mind, and isn't being overruled by another ref. 

Edited by The Bear

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

I'm not so worried about that one tbh. If the VAR official realises he's drawn the lines from the wrong position of course he should change it and make sure it's more accurate. In this case you have to assume he was ultimately correct in ruling it out, even if it took a long time to get to the correct decision. 

There are two big problems IMO with that goal.  (Three if you count Burnley losing a point is a problem!)  One is that if two different camera angles give two different results, can it be conclusively said that the man is offside?  The other is that technology isn't good good enough to measure it to the inch.  When the offside decision is based on the idea that Rodriguez' head was nodding forward and the defender's wasn't, then you need a photo taken exactly at the instant the ball is played.  This "offside" photo appears to be taken a split second after the ball has left Redmond's foot, which means it's at least 1/100th of a second too late.  when we're talking about offside by 3 inches,. that's far too slow.  A running footballer covers 3 inches in 1/100th of a second with ease, and parts of his body (eg. a nodding head) will do more.

59 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

There are two big problems IMO with that goal.  (Three if you count Burnley losing a point is a problem!)  One is that if two different camera angles give two different results, can it be conclusively said that the man is offside?  The other is that technology isn't good good enough to measure it to the inch.  When the offside decision is based on the idea that Rodriguez' head was nodding forward and the defender's wasn't, then you need a photo taken exactly at the instant the ball is played.  This "offside" photo appears to be taken a split second after the ball has left Redmond's foot, which means it's at least 1/100th of a second too late.  when we're talking about offside by 3 inches,. that's far too slow.  A running footballer covers 3 inches in 1/100th of a second with ease, and parts of his body (eg. a nodding head) will do more.

The angles didn't produce different results, it was where the line was drawn that gave the different results.  If it takes another angle to draw the line more accurately after getting it wrong then so be it. 

And it's always the first frame when it visually contacts the foot that's used, not when it leaves it. 

I agree with the rest. 

Edited by The Bear

21 minutes ago, The Bear said:

The angles didn't produce different results, it was where the line was drawn that gave the different results.  If it takes another angle to draw the line more accurately after getting it wrong then so be it. 

And it's always the first frame when it visually contacts the foot that's used, not when it leaves it. 

I agree with the rest. 

Are you saying that all Sky cameras (or at least 4 - two at each end) shoot at over 100 frames per second?  I head 30 for the standard and 60 for the HD ones, but you're saying it's more than twice that?  I don't think they have enough frames per second to get it even to the nearest 1/100th, let alone the accuracy they really need, but I am willing to be convinced.