Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

What I noticed about the Sheffield United pen that interested me was that Baldock jumped up and tried to carry on playing! 

Shows that he didn’t think it was a pen perhaps but Danny Murphy on MOTD calling it a dive is off the mark for me. Look at the reactions. Looks like he got his body in the way, stumbled under minimal contact but jumped up and tried to carry on?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

What I noticed about the Sheffield United pen that interested me was that Baldock jumped up and tried to carry on playing! 

Shows that he didn’t think it was a pen perhaps but Danny Murphy on MOTD calling it a dive is off the mark for me. Look at the reactions. Looks like he got his body in the way, stumbled under minimal contact but jumped up and tried to carry on?

Poor refereeing - you’ve nailed it with baldock getting straight back up. if the ref takes a second to think then he sees that and plays on - no one would discuss it afterwards. 

too many pens are called by the official too quickly - we used to say that you needed to be properly fouled to get a penalty - all these slight touches and down you go are dreadful. players are off balance - that’s their problem - they shouldn’t be rewarded for being off balance when there is the slightest contact with the defender.  Baldock initiates the contact by putting his foot outside of the position required to keep possession - if anything when players do that they can be accused of obstructing the defender.

It happens all over the pitch and I think if you don’t play the ball but you play the space between the ball and the defender to initiate contact then that should not be a free kick.  Grealish and madders are experts at it. that’s not the same as getting your body in between the ball and your opponent to shield it.  But a stretched out planted foot is not acceptable imo. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

There's no way to judge the offside because there isn't a VAR camera that can see the ball.  Hence it's impossible to judge whether Gordon was in front of it.

I did loads of freeze framing to see when the ball finally  leaves joelintion after contact between him and Gabriel - Gordon was ahead of the ball by some distance given he wasn’t moving forwards quickly. I get that var don’t have an angle so don’t feel able to over rule an onside decision that the lino gave (I rarely have a problem with staying with the on field call because we shouldn’t have var).  I’m just giving my opinion that I thought it was offside based on what I could see.  

arteta’s interviews should get him a charge - he’s an arse and deserves to be called out for his touchline shenanigans in any case 

26 minutes ago, Lionator said:

One thing I’ve learnt from the championship is that it’s easy to forgive a ref who makes an error as they’re only human. VAR makes that very hard. I think it would be easier for refs if they could actually ref again. 

Although would that have stopped Arteta for example having his rant or Wolves feeling rather harshly done by ?

I think it’s partly only here because we had managers , fans , pundits always moaning about decisions made by one official saying “they need help etc “

Now we just complain about 3/4!

26 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

What Arteta said is a disgrace and just like Klopp last season they should punish him appropriately. 

I've only seen a few clips where he didn't want to talk about the individual incidents and said the outcome is done. 

What else did he say? 

53 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

What Arteta said is a disgrace and just like Klopp last season they should punish him appropriately. 

He should have spoken about the Guimaraes forearm smash, rather than the goal, which was probably right to stand.  How VAR did not view that as a sending off offence was the real issue for me. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Torquay Gunner said:

He should have spoken about the Guimaraes forearm smash, rather than the goal, which was probably right to stand.  How VAR did not view that as a sending off offence was the real issue for me. 

I'd love to hear the comms for that on the monthly programme they do. 

Newcastles's goal yesterday certainly tested VAR for different reasons..lol

If anything, the ball on/over the line scenario was possibly the closest for the goal to be disallowed.

Very fine margins.

2 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

The Premier League is ****ing shit. I’m so sick of hearing about VAR and crybaby managers. 

Yeah, watching the game and there is a goal and the check comes up on the screen, it's so boring

26 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Newcastles's goal yesterday certainly tested VAR for different reasons..lol

If anything, the ball on/over the line scenario was possibly the closest for the goal to be disallowed.

Very fine margins.

Think I have changed my mind on this decision.  Just saw this posted on an Arsenal website.  Looks fairly conclusive . Yet they did not have the camera angles to show the pictures on Sky TV!  I can well  understand why managers get pissed off. 

IMG0982.jpeg

23 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

The stars are aligning for a Spurs title. Pretty much everything going their way.

Nah. Man City will win 16 games in a row and run away with the title.

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

The Premier League is ****ing shit. I’m so sick of hearing about VAR and crybaby managers. 

So bored of VAR talk. ****ing tedious.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Torquay Gunner said:

Think I have changed my mind on this decision.  Just saw this posted on an Arsenal website.  Looks fairly conclusive . Yet they did not have the camera angles to show the pictures on Sky TV!  I can well  understand why managers get pissed off. 

IMG0982.jpeg

Its basically the same as the Japan goal in World Cup though isnt it? Below is the same instance but different angles. If anything the Japan one looks further out than the Newcastle one.

download.jpeg-4.jpg.62459cc2f7665aef8811720426d94d66.jpg

download.jpeg-2.jpg.ddff9f25d6363d8b2831c56e94392898.jpg

download.jpeg-3.jpg.47e8c76f9bd20640c1468a66425153e6.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

The stars are aligning for a Spurs title. Pretty much everything going their way.

Haven’t played Man City yet. A lucky decision got them a win over Liverpool. Played all the newly promoted teams so far as well.

Over the course of a season they will not be as strong as Liverpool. As always, everything is easy when you’re winning, it’s the real test of a manager when a team loses one (or a couple in a row).

29 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Its basically the same as the Japan goal in World Cup though isnt it? Below is the same instance but different angles. If anything the Japan one looks further out than the Newcastle one.

download.jpeg-4.jpg.62459cc2f7665aef8811720426d94d66.jpg

download.jpeg-2.jpg.ddff9f25d6363d8b2831c56e94392898.jpg

download.jpeg-3.jpg.47e8c76f9bd20640c1468a66425153e6.jpg

The Newcastle one is clearer than that Japan one. The 3rd frame/still shows part of the ball on the line. 

I haven't seen any clear angle to say the ball yesterday was on the line. 

10 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Is it though? Really? 

It is from his position, yes. Fans will always be partisan but if managers continually keep using the extreme language about officiating, it will erode at the overall feeling towards them. Won’t be far away from a ref strike or similar if it continues