Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

2 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Burnley are the only one who might stay up as they're starting to look a bit more competitive now. 

Luton and Sheffield United look miles off. 

Luton have certainly been competitive in games this week but do seem to tire or let in soft goals .

Burnley play better football but again get caught out too much . 

Edited by Super_horns

1 hour ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Unfortunately the media are still peddling this utter BS.

Howe chose to spend too much on a couple of players rather than build squad depth. 

Howe is choosing not to rotate at the moment while Dummett, Ritchie, Hall and Krath barely get a sniff. 

2 of the signings have hardly featured Tonali and Barnes, I've never liked Howe or Newcastle so this is great viewing.

4 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Luton have certainly been competitive in games this week but do seem to tire or let in soft goals .

Burnley play better football but again get caught out too much . 

None of them will finish above 16th, but I'm not sure it's going to be as straightforward as all three going straight back down.

Luton aren't a great side, but you can imagine them scrapping very well at the tail end of the season if they're not completely cut adrift. Burnley could actually be decent if they can get a couple more results together. Sheffield United will finish bottom, but will be nowhere near Derby bad as some have posited.

Right now, I'd say it's three from Palace, Forest and the three promoted sides.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

but HoWe Is wOrKiNg MiRaClEs

Made me laugh when this was trotted out against PSG the other week, despite them starting with the following front three:

Almiron- £20 million

Isak- £60 million

Gordon- £45 million.

A modern day miracle worker.

• Like 2

On 09/12/2023 at 10:17, AmyLGK said:

Did you see his Twitter rant...

https://twitter.com/Joey7Barton/status/1733427897937940956?t=rElb2l2Pp_NJCZTG5U8YjA&s=19

Good lord 🤦‍♀️ is he ok!?

I’m shocked. Shocked, I tell you. 

Who’d have known that Barton was this much of a complete broken dimmer switch. 

21 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Yeah, the press are just going "poor old Newcastle, they're tired"

This is just from the BBC website report...

Screenshot_20231210_213249_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231210_213258_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231210_213328_Chrome.jpg

Was surprised to read that Howe is the 7th biggest spending manager since the PL started. That's not adjusted for inflation but still, he's not spent the chunk of that at Bournemouth.

The injuries and weary legs are his fault.  He's barely rotated. For example he has 3 left backs, plus Dummett and Ritchie but he played Burn until he was ran into the ground and even now he's playing Livremento there, which means Trippier gets no rest and mistakes are sneaking into his game. I get it's difficult to know when to rest players and its a risk using fringe players, but that's the challenge of being a manager. They have good honest professionals like Ritchie, Dummett, Kraft, Manquillo who would be ready to fill for the odd game, or youngsters like Miley, Anderson, Parkinson, Hall who could also have come in for an odd game. 

On 09/12/2023 at 23:28, Tuna said:

Hard to believe Villa were slumming it a year ago with Stevie G in charge

If we'd have sacked twat Rodgers when we should've I think Emery would've been attainable for us given where we were.

Imagine how different our fortunes could've been.

53 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

If we'd have sacked twat Rodgers when we should've I think Emery would've been attainable for us given where we were.

But it doesn't work like that, lets say ok he kept us up by the skin of our teeth, then what?

We were hemorrhaging money hand over fist & despite probably losing the players that were end of contract, something like 10 players, we wouldn't have had enough free cash for existing premier league wages let alone try & buy in premier league quality with premier league wages which is what he would have expected.
Maddison would probably have still gone as his name grew & expectations of a 'bigger' club move, & yes we probably would have got 10m+ more for him but nothing to cover shiny new signings & would Barnes or Castagne moved had we stayed up? Castagne went to Fulham if we stay in the premier league are they a bigger club for him to go to & Barnes reluctantly went on all accounts but maybe he goes also, either way we are not supporting a premier league push from what we lost & received.

Villa are the 6th highest net spenders in the premier league over the past 5yrs, regardless of what you may think of their players they have money to spend & Emery should be fighting for Top 6 (4) going on money spent should he not, after all some thought we should be pushing top 4 just because the manager was on a high wage!

Sometimes you need to take 2 steps back to go forward, i look at us dropping into the Championship slightly in the same way as dropping into Lge 1 not as big but feel just as important in this time.
Dropping to Lge 1 allowed us to reset from top to bottom, we got Pearson the perfect manager we needed with aiding in that full club rebuild, it also paved the way for a takeover, i think labouring in the championship living from week to week wouldn't have seen us produce the memories we have been part of in the last 14 or so years even if Pearson joined as the whole club was a basket case then.

This time round it was more the playing & coaching staff that needed that rebuild not the full club reset although things still needed sorted out above. We have managed to have a good clear out of fringe players, reduce the wage bill whilst bringing in some players & change the coaching staff along with footballing philosophy. We have dropped out of view & allowed to have that mini reset that we needed without the pressures of the Premier lge & continuing to shoot money up the wall by trying keep up with the Joneses.

Yes there's huge risk especially if we don't go up 1st time of asking but if we do i feel the club as a whole will be in a better position than if we hired Emery on his £7m wage with crumbling player foundations.

Edited by BKLFox
  • Like 2

This absolutely baffled me from Dermot. 

"The number of red cards are mounting up" 

Well yes people ,such as him, in positions to give opinions have slowly began turning the game into red cards for most slightly wrong challenges. 

This entire segment is based on him calling decisions wrong or right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Well yes people ,such as him, in positions to give opinions have slowly began turning the game into red cards for most slightly wrong challenges. 

I was expecting some wild leg breaker from what I'd read on here from people

Seeing it I dont see it being anymore than a yellow. Hes gone in with one foot and the studs are down.

Movement of his trailing leg looks perfectly natural. Based on his movements and shifting body weight

Mistimed and deserving a yellow but personally feel that itd be a joke to show a red for that.

Feel like its a case of Romero's reputation guiding peoples opinion to a red.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Or just backing up his mates in VAR ?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Emery would have little spending compared to villa. Plus at the time villa had better players with potential it was just a case of getting them in form.  However villa made their call at the right time with Gerrard while we stuck rodgers for another four months. By that time the damage was done.

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

Seeing it I dont see it being anymore than a yellow. Hes gone in with one foot and the studs are down.

Movement of his trailing leg looks perfectly natural. Based on his movements and shifting body weight

Mistimed and deserving a yellow but personally feel that itd be a joke to show a red for that.

I'm inclined to agree. Was expecting worse from reading the thread. I think a red would've been harsh.

On 10/12/2023 at 21:36, tom27111 said:

Yeah, the press are just going "poor old Newcastle, they're tired"

This is just from the BBC website report...

Screenshot_20231210_213249_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231210_213258_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231210_213328_Chrome.jpg

Hopefully they get dumped out the CL tomorrow too. All but there, just need results to be right.

22 hours ago, filbertway said:

He goes in fairly wildly, he's nowhere near the ball, he stamps on a guy's ankle with his studs. It's pretty horrible, it could have caused a fairly nasty injury.

For me, he's so far away from the ball he's either not in control and thus it's reckless and dangerous or he's deliberately trying to stamp on Wilson's ankle in which case, well...

I've not seen any of the social media uproar and that's the first time I've seen the tackle as I didn't watch the game. But I can definitely see why people would call for a red card there, "it didn't leap out to me as a red card" seems a weird statement. I immediately went "oof" when I saw it. Do I think it's the worst tackle I've ever seen and an absolutely screaming stonewall red that would trigger me to go and rant about it on Twitter? No. But I also think that suggesting people only think it's a red because it's Romero is a bit underplaying it.

• Like 1

The wildest part of that Romero non-red card is that Callum Wilson chose to moan about a goalkeeper making silly faces at him rather than that tackle. 

It's absolutely brilliant watching this bunch of Newcastle players full of ego getting brought down a peg including the manager and his staff in that too. 

• Like 1