Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Where did it go wrong for us then...

We kept Rodgers after we got beat by Forest in the FA Cup. He should have most likely been cut at that point.

The BS top coaches peddle out becomes stale. Only so many times Vardy can hear about the Gucci belt, before it’s gone from funny to annoying. 

You either change the players, or change the coach. You need to keep it fresh.  

2 minutes ago, Bilo said:

I don't disagree. They play lovely stuff and have some real talent. The only lost cause for me is Sheffield United, and even they will be a tougher prospect under Chris Wilder. 

I also think if they get relegated, which realistically, at least two will, Luton, Burnley and Sheff Utd are in a perfect position to come straight back up and close the gap. Making what is arguably one of the weakest Premier Leagues in to the strongest.

Whatever you think of them, we had 'star players' of Maddison, Tielemans and Barnes.

Luton, Burnley and Sheffield United don't.

There shouldn't be an exodus of players, they know they'll be floating around between two divisions, we didn't.

They'll add a bit more quality and get stronger.

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

I also think if they get relegated, which realistically, at least two will, Luton, Burnley and Sheff Utd are in a perfect position to come straight back up and close the gap. Making what is arguably one of the weakest Premier Leagues in to the strongest.

Whatever you think of them, we had 'star players' of Maddison, Tielemans and Barnes.

Luton, Burnley and Sheffield United don't.

There shouldn't be an exodus of players, they know they'll be floating around between two divisions, we didn't.

They'll add a bit more quality and get stronger.

You’d argue in Mads, Faes, Winks, Ndidi, Ricardo and maybe Mavididi they’d get in most team in the bottom half of the Premier League. 

• Like 1

What it would also mean is two or three of that bottom five staying up, meaning another weak relegation battle. If the current bottom three go, you're left with Forest and Palace up - both of whom will struggle again.

With us, had we survived and got a decent manager in to replace Rodgers earlier, there's every chance we could have had the same season as Everton are having (minus the points deduction.) You just can't see that with those two. Luton, Burnley or Sheffield United stay up and it's the same picture. 

It would bode well for us, especially with momentum and a decent transfer window under our belts.

Just now, Sly said:

You’d argue in Mads, Faes, Winks, Ndidi, Ricardo and maybe Mavididi they’d get in most team in the bottom half of the Premier League. 

Agree. But my point is Luton and Sheffield United in particular are maybe a bit ahead of where they should be and the players won't be leaving if they get relegated. If anything, they'll strengthen. 

Most of Burnleys team last season would've been looked at by Premier League teams.

If those sides do go down, I think they'll stick together and come back stronger.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sly said:

On form, our first XI finishes 15th or 16th as things stand. With astute spending and more of a Plan B, we'll be fine.

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

He was the first manager to get them promoted to the first flight after about 20 years. And he did it in a season where they looked like they were getting relegated to the third tier.

It’s not hard to understand why they love him so much, especially the younger generation of fans.

I said it before but it’s probably like how my generation love Pearson. We spent 90% of Pearson’s only PL season bottom and never once did I want him out. He turned us around and I believed he’d do it again if we had gone down. That’s what football is, love for someone you believe in who has made your club a success. 

Yet when Ranieri was sacked less than 12 months after us winning the Premier League, the greatest achievement in English domestic football, and with a decent chance of qualifying for the Champions League quarter-finals, most fans were saddened but understood it was necessary as we were absolutely honking in the Premier League. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

He was the first manager to get them promoted to the first flight after about 20 years. And he did it in a season where they looked like they were getting relegated to the third tier.

It’s not hard to understand why they love him so much, especially the younger generation of fans.

I said it before but it’s probably like how my generation love Pearson. We spent 90% of Pearson’s only PL season bottom and never once did I want him out. He turned us around and I believed he’d do it again if we had gone down. That’s what football is, love for someone you believe in who has made your club a success. 

OK, fair point.

A lot of people look back at Pearson and idolise him, but at the time, this forum was quite split.

You do feel an affinity to someone, undoubtedly, but a football club is bigger than one person.

Forest made that mistake nearly 30 years ago by letting Brian Clough chose his departure date.

Had the board acted at that time, they might not have had the last shite 20 years or so.

Edited by tom27111
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

OK, fair point.

A lot of people look back at Pearson and idolise him, but at the time, this forum was quite split.

You do feel an affinity to someone, undoubtedly, but a football club is bigger than one person.

Forest made that mistake nearly 30 years ago by letting Brian Clough chose his departure date.

Had the board acted at that time, they might not have had the last shite 20 years or so.

Great example.

The guy was clearly a train wreck from 1990 onwards and could have had no complaints at being asked to step down. They've been nothing since he left, bar an extremely brief resurgence under Frank Clark.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Can see Nuno doing a good job at Forest too sadly.

Id be shocked. The blokes dull as hell and even then struggles to pick up decent results. Unless he's being allowed to game the system.

I rate they'll struggle to score and just end up losing a load of games 1 or 2-0.

Wouldn't be shocked to see him not even see the season through

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Id be shocked. The blokes dull as hell and even then struggles to pick up decent results. Unless he's being allowed to game the system.

I rate they'll struggle to score and just end up losing a load of games 1 or 2-0.

Wouldn't be shocked to see him not even see the season through

He's at his best when he can just park the bus and counter, I think that's probably what they could do with. I know they've lost Johnson which is a big loss but if he can make them hard to break down and just smash it up to Awoniyi (if he's fit now?) then they'll probably grind out enough points to survive given how shit the league is this year.

Honestly, just making them hard to beat will probably be enough.

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

He's at his best when he can just park the bus and counter, I think that's probably what they could do with. I know they've lost Johnson which is a big loss but if he can make them hard to break down and just smash it up to Awoniyi (if he's fit now?) then they'll probably grind out enough points to survive given how shit the league is this year.

Honestly, just making them hard to beat will probably be enough.

Youre probably right given the complete inability of the bottom 3 to pick up points.

Any other season he would probably be taking them down, but youre probably right on this one.

Either way, id hate yo be a forest fan and subjected to that.

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

OK, fair point.

Yeah fair enough that is a good example and you’re probably right. 

1 hour ago, Bilo said:

Yet when Ranieri was sacked less than 12 months after us winning the Premier League, the greatest achievement in English domestic football, and with a decent chance of qualifying for the Champions League quarter-finals, most fans were saddened but understood it was necessary as we were absolutely honking in the Premier League. 

I do get your point tbf but I think that’s because of expectation? We were horrific and going one way. No way could we have gone down as champions so something had to happen. 

Compared to Forest who haven’t won anything, they’ve survived being in the league like a lot of bottom half clubs. 

Hard to compare when it’s not happened since. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Shouldn't affect the football side of things.

They're shit and going down under Cooper, why are they so happy about that?

I loathe Forest but there's a big difference between being happy to go down and simply showing appreciation (during a rocky patch) to the guy that got you up. 

Edited by Langston
  • Like 2

Forest fans need to move on. We had wonderful times after Pearson. Southampton went up levels after firing Adkins. Brighton sacked Hughton and look at them now. Cooper would have kept Forest where they  are. If they are happy to be 13th-17th in the league then they have no ambition.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Forest fans need to move on. We had wonderful times after Pearson. Southampton went up levels after firing Adkins. Brighton sacked Hughton and look at them now. Cooper would have kept Forest where they  are. If they are happy to be 13th-17th in the league then they have no ambition.

I don't think is that simple. Forest have a very eccentric (to put it politely) owner and imo this is the main reason their fans are scared of this change. 

Nuno's appointment is bonkers, he's not a "yes man", there will be relationship problems with Marinakis. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

I don't think is that simple. Forest have a very eccentric (to put it politely) owner and imo this is the main reason their fans are scared of this change. 

Nuno's appointment is bonkers, he's not a "yes man", there will be relationship problems with Marinakis. 

They lucked out with Cooper, really. Pure chance that he wasn't another Lamouchi or Pearce.

It's difficult to see this going well, especially given how Forest fans have generally reacted. If he starts slowly, Forest are in a world of bother. 

• Like 1