Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

Guest Col city fan

Foden has looked world class this second half. Full of confidence and sublime on the ball.

I’ve watched Rodri closely tonight too. He is an exceptional player.

26 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Foden has looked world class this second half. Full of confidence and sublime on the ball.

I’ve watched Rodri closely tonight too. He is an exceptional player.

Very true you could also  chuck silva and even walker into that hat to tbf 

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Another handball filed in the "what is he supposed to do" category although can see why its given with the way the rules are. 

But then you see the Rodri one and wonder what’s going on with that! 

For what it’s worth, I don’t think it’s ‘corruption’ which is seemingly the buzz word for every fan on social media right now.

But it is certainly incompetence! 

I wonder if they’d do better with VAR if they DIDN’T use referees - because whenever I’ve heard the audio it feels the operators are much more clued in than the referees sat on their backside!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

But then you see the Rodri one and wonder what’s going on with that! 

For what it’s worth, I don’t think it’s ‘corruption’ which is seemingly the buzz word for every fan on social media right now.

But it is certainly incompetence! 

I wonder if they’d do better with VAR if they DIDN’T use referees - because whenever I’ve heard the audio it feels the operators are much more clued in than the referees sat on their backside!

I think you're spot on with incompetence, but I think it's caused by how complex and convoluted the handball rule is. 

There are so many sub rules and caveats that do make it difficult to interpret. Especially at the speed of professional football.

Obviously that doesn't allow for VAR

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

I think you're spot on with incompetence, but I think it's caused by how complex and convoluted the handball rule is. 

There are so many sub rules and caveats that do make it difficult to interpret. Especially at the speed of professional football.

Obviously that doesn't allow for VAR

It's pretty simple checklist IMO. 

1. Is the arm away from the body or not? 

2. Was it hit at them too close to react and move the arm out of the way? 

3. Did it come off another body part and on to the arm? 

The issue is they are ignoring those last two rules and making the arm position the be all and end all. The pre-season directive was if it came off another body part first that it shouldn't be given. They've already ignored that. 

If it is hit from really close it should be ignored. They've also ignored that. 

What they have done is if the arm looks in a natural position close to the body they've ignored any contact with the arm/hand and then not given them. Even from shots hit from a good distance away. 

They've totally enshrined the handball rule around arm positioning, which is then held above all the other rules. It's the Premier League and PGMOL standard arrogance of ignoring FIFA directives, over-emphasising one aspect of the rules and not letting VAR get to the correct decision, whilst confusing players, managers and fans alike. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Bear said:

It's pretty simple checklist IMO. 

1. Is the arm away from the body or not? 

2. Was it hit at them too close to react and move the arm out of the way? 

3. Did it come off another body part and on to the arm? 

The issue is they are ignoring those last two rules and making the arm position the be all and end all. The pre-season directive was if it came off another body part first that it shouldn't be given. They've already ignored that. 

If it is hit from really close it should be ignored. They've also ignored that. 

What they have done is if the arm looks in a natural position close to the body they've ignored any contact with the arm/hand and then not given them. Even from shots hit from a good distance away. 

They've totally enshrined the handball rule around arm positioning, which is then held above all the other rules. It's the Premier League and PGMOL standard arrogance of ignoring FIFA directives, over-emphasising one aspect of the rules and not letting VAR get to the correct decision, whilst confusing players, managers and fans alike. 

I agree on your last point; the ruling at least in England has become basically centred on the concept of "natural arm position".  We're now so caught up on where the arm was when the ball has hit it that we forget common sense. 

At least in the previous few years we have taken note of ricochets either off of yourself or another player onto the arm. 

In regards to "too close to you to react", we seem to be getting better at that, however the likes of the penalty for Man City yesterday I have to agree with. Doucoure (i think) when sliding in with his arm up, and it subsequently blocks the flight of the ball - I'd have that as handball. 

But overall, we've convoluted the rulings way too much - it needs to be re-simplified and sorted.

• Like 1