Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

4 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Excuses or has he got a point ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66426840

I guess if players do learn to time waste less there could be a reduction on the injury time as the season goes on.

It makes me laugh when he talks about protecting the game for the fans, basically keeping those who support the top clubs only happy. The changes that have been made have largely been pushed by clubs and managers across all leagues including the Prem who have had enough of the current state of the game. This isn’t a Prem/EFL/PGMOL initiative that is being forced on them, it’s at the request of key stakeholders within the game. The changes had also been communicated as early as the end of June/start of July so that teams had the preseason to be ready for the changes, so to say they were only made aware in a meeting last week is his attempt at playing the sympathy card. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

It makes me laugh when he talks about protecting the game for the fans, basically keeping those who support the top clubs only happy. The changes that have been made have largely been pushed by clubs and managers across all leagues including the Prem who have had enough of the current state of the game. This isn’t a Prem/EFL/PGMOL initiative that is being forced on them, it’s at the request of key stakeholders within the game. The changes had also been communicated as early as the end of June/start of July so that teams had the preseason to be ready for the changes, so to say they were only made aware in a meeting last week is his attempt at playing the sympathy card. 

Probably be like VAR.

The club voted for it and asked to stamped out time wasting but managers and players will complain about it.

Even ones who didn't lose were making a fuss though - although more about not being able to celebrate or having coaches booked for being in the technical area. 

TBH I have little sympathy for the big clubs anyway.

They have big squads and will rotate like mad.

I mean if it's a problem for Man U they can always go out of the cups and Europe early...

That would solve any fitness issues..

Edited by Super_horns
  • Like 1

It definitely seems to be marmite. 

I’m all for it. Players and managers have been allowed to get away with far too much for far too long. I think we will hear more people come out in support of it following this weekends fixtures.

• Like 2

theory at the moment, noticed the other day in non league football attendance have increased hugely. Is this a sign of fans getting sick of the greed at the top level, the annoying dominance  of the same clubs or is it just simple the cost living affecting footy fans being able to afford premier league prices?

11 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

theory at the moment, noticed the other day in non league football attendance have increased hugely. Is this a sign of fans getting sick of the greed at the top level, the annoying dominance  of the same clubs or is it just simple the cost living affecting footy fans being able to afford premier league prices?

Crowds have increased at all levels. 

6 minutes ago, Lionator said:

The Chelsea squad is mid-table at best. How have they spent so much money and ended up with such a bad team?

They have an elite manager who should get more out of them on paper this year.

I can empathise with Wolves. Last summer we were getting clobbered by FFP and now it's seemingly their turn. It's no coincidence that two clubs that have dared to try and upset the established order have had to suffer the consequences. We all know that FFP is a rigged system designed to keep the established order intact. It's not an excuse for us going down last season because ultimately that squad should have done better, but not being able to add to the squad doesn't help. 

• Like 4

Don't get the logic of appointing O'Neil. He needed decent investment in January to turn it around which presumably he won't get now. Although, as we saw, having a manager who isn't interested and making difficulties is probably worse.

Not a good time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Bear said:

It's a shit situation. He's the best manager we've had since Nuno and the owners have ****ed it up by changing their stance on what he was promised last season. 

On the other hand, Lopetegui didn't have to go wailing to the press and his mate Ballague about it and hasn't covered himself in glory over this. He had £75m spent on the squad in January to help keep us up, and he knew that was most of this summer's budget. He's obviously a bit of a prima donna and I'm pissed off at him for not being a bit more professional about it.

Gary O'Neill? Yeah great.... :facepalm:

The club are currently shopping in the "costs nothing to employ and won't kick up a fuss over no money" aisle at the supermarket. 

At least I made some cash over this though. I heard about it all kicking off on Saturday and lumped £200 on him being next manager to leave at 2/1.

I think this season will be tough, but you still have a decent chance of surviving. The bottom 6/7 of the premier league looks especially poor this coming season. You still have a far better squad than Luton and Sheffield United and probably a couple of others. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I think this season will be tough, but you still have a decent chance of surviving. The bottom 6/7 of the premier league looks especially poor this coming season. You still have a far better squad than Luton and Sheffield United and probably a couple of others. 

Yes our first XI is undoubtedly stronger than the start of last season. We're looking a bit thin in reserve though. And the manager makes a big difference as we saw with Lage v Lopetegui last season. 

I fully look forward to appointing Dean Smith in December... 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1