Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

13 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Thought that goal just was a foul on Trafford, but it was a very tight call.

10 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Oh my god, VAR actually got one right for once.

He's run into Adebayo while he's got his back turned and gone down like a sack of spuds. Commentators were SCREECHING for that to be overturned, not even bothering to point out the pathetic attempt by the defence around him to jump for one of the easiest headers they'll ever get.

I'm not looking forward to being back in this circus next season, won't lie. Don't even have any skin in the game and i'm still infuriated by it. Glad sense prevailed.

Who’d be a ref eh ?!

In a way you can see it wasn’t an obvious foul but keepers usually get one for the smallest of touches so again comes down to subjectivity and inconsistency.

Probably would have been given as a foul if it was against a big team at home .

Just watched it back.  There's no way the keeper is getting anywhere near that ball from where he's attempted to catch it from.  In fact, I'd even go as far as saying he really hasn't gone for the ball either.  Just came forward, miles off and fell to the ground.  Weak.

I fancy Burnley to have a decent second half to the season and stay up, hopefully at the expense of Everton.

Brentford are not out of the woods, if they decide to sell Toney this window it could cost them way more than any transfer fee they receive. 
Forest and Palace not safe, but Sheff United help their cause by being uncompetitive really. 

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

I fancy Burnley to have a decent second half to the season and stay up, hopefully at the expense of Everton.

Brentford are not out of the woods, if they decide to sell Toney this window it could cost them way more than any transfer fee they receive. 
Forest and Palace not safe, but Sheff United help their cause by being uncompetitive really. 

I think you can stop fancying that.  There aren't enough games left.  Besides, the PL stinks so badly that I think I would rather be relegated - we can have at least one fun season, winning more than we lose (hopefully), without VAR.

As for the foul tonight, we all know that in most circumstances, if a player is heading in the direction of the ball and an opponent moves into his path to block it, then it's a foul.  Maybe it's different when it's a goalkeeper.

The problem with refereeing now is that it has become more or less random.  Last match we played Villa and their man went down screaming in the penalty area because someone touched the sole of his boot while it was in the air.  Penalty, which VAR looked at and confirmed that a tiny little touch is a foul.

Today, the goalkeeper was blocked by a man moving into his path.  Fully blocked.  No foul.  Again, it was looked at on TV from several angles.

How can they rewrite the rules so that players know what is a foul and what isn't?  If they think, with all the technology at their disposal, that a tiny touch is sometimes a foul and full-on block is sometimes not, then can they please write it down so we can understand?  Because it seems to me that at present, they might as well toss a coin to get these decisions.  It would be no less rational.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Yes that is the issue.

A foul gets given and VAR probably agrees with the call .

And no one really makes a fuss except Luton fans,

But now when a foul is given next time the inconsistency will be pointed out .

For me, Trafford isn’t close enough to the ball to get a decision in his favour.

The vast majority of the fouls awarded to goalkeepers are when they’re in touching distance of the ball.

He’s nowhere near it here - I’m not convinced he’s getting to it even if there was no ‘bump’ - and that’s what goes against him.

I’d therefore class this in the ‘good decision’ category.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

For me, Trafford isn’t close enough to the ball to get a decision in his favour.

The vast majority of the fouls awarded to goalkeepers are when they’re in touching distance of the ball.

He’s nowhere near it here - I’m not convinced he’s getting to it even if there was no ‘bump’ - and that’s what goes against him.

I’d therefore class this in the ‘good decision’ category.

I disagree. Watch it again and without the foul he'd have been virtually underneath where the guy headed it in from. 

Clear foul for me as he blocked the keeper with no thought for the ball and stopped him going up for it. 

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

I disagree. Watch it again and without the foul he'd have been virtually underneath where the guy headed it in from. 

Clear foul for me as he blocked the keeper with no thought for the ball and stopped him going up for it. 

But that’s my point - if he’s within touching distance and gets nudged / whatever, he gets the foul.

It’s because he’s so far away he doesn’t - it might be that he’s not even fully in the refs vision because ref’s tend to get caught ball watching.

1 minute ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

But that’s my point - if he’s within touching distance and gets nudged / whatever, he gets the foul.

It’s because he’s so far away he doesn’t - it might be that he’s not even fully in the refs vision because ref’s tend to get caught ball watching.

You're saying he couldn't have gotten there. I disagree. He was blocked off before he had a chance to jump. 

3 minutes ago, The Bear said:

You're saying he couldn't have gotten there. I disagree. He was blocked off before he had a chance to jump. 

I said I doubted he could… but the main point was his distance from the ball was why he didn’t get the foul.

If he’s right there, he gets it given every time, like we’re used to seeing.

19 minutes ago, Bert said:

Ederson injured because the Lino didn’t put his flag up even though he knew Isak was offside. 

Offsides have been a joke for a while now just put the flag uo if it’s offside instead of waiting 

9 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Was it an obvious one ?

Bit like Stones the other week .

He’s a yard offside, easily. Haven’t seen the Stones one but have seen people say it’s similar. 

What a disgusting goal from Bernardo by the way. 

• Like 1