Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

30 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Seriously, we need to make singing always the victims it's never your fault at these a thing. They are Liverpool-lite.

So I assume forest didn't take any throws 5/10yrds further up the pitch or move the ball forward a touch from set pieces? 

• Like 3

I’m so bored with PL football and barely watch it these days 

Today’s 4.30 game was another club with loads of money tonks club with much less money shocker 

Edit: I appreciate that we are the club.with lots of money (comparatively) doing the tonking in the championship this season 

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Today’s 4.30 game was another club with loads of money tonks club with much less money shocker 

Absolutely!

Us being back involved in the circus next season is very bittersweet.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Edit: I appreciate that we are the club.with lots of money (comparatively) doing the tonking in the championship this season 

I’ve got Sky Sports because I can claim it for work but I’ve not bothered with the Prem this season. I’ll be cancelling it once we’re promoted and not on regularly again. I couldn’t give a shit about the entire competition anymore. 

8 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Their fourth complaint to the PGMOL in one and half seasons. Defo comes from the top as well 

You can see it now .

They will start booking players for moving the ball/foam and getting VAR to check as well .

Then everyone will be up in arms about fussy refs and VAR getting too involved .

13 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Alex Ferguson was spending £20m/£30m on players 20 years ago, which is crazy money, but people seem to talk as if it's a new thing. How long ago did Chelsea get their money and start spending, 2003? It's been happening for decades.

25 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Alex Ferguson was spending £20m/£30m on players 20 years ago, which is crazy money, but people seem to talk as if it's a new thing. How long ago did Chelsea get their money and start spending, 2003? It's been happening for decades.

Sure but its just gotten significantly more ridiculous relative to the wage of the average person and especially so when we're in a major cost of living crisis and the average person in the street feels poorer than they have in a generation or two.

In 2002, the Premier League transfer record was ~30m, the total spend in the 2002/2003 Premier League season was approx 335m. Minimum wage was £4.20 and the average salary was 20k.

As of 2023, the Premier League transfer record is 107m, the total spend in the Premier League last year exceeded 3 billion with Chelsea alone spending almost twice the 2002/3 total, a newly promoted club spent 195m and the lowest spenders in the league spent over 45. Minimum wage was £9.50 and the average income was ~£33k.

Football's money being alien and out of touch with the average person isn't new just as millionaires having unimaginably more money than you or I isn't new. But what is more significant than ever before is the gap. The money the wealthiest have has gotten so absurdly, dangerously out of control and football is a really significant reflection of that at a time when people are really feeling the strain. The Boomers didn't give a shit when the wealthiest 1% started pulling away and getting drastically richer and richer and richer because at least they were taken care of. They could afford homes, educations, families, cars, holidays whilst doing "average" jobs and could take their disposable income largely for granted.

That's not really the case for people these days. Its no wonder you hear more complaints about it now, regarding football or otherwise.

Edited by Finnegan

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Sure but its just gotten significantly more ridiculous relative to the wage of the average person and especially so when we're in a major cost of living crisis and the average person in the street feels poorer than they have in a generation or two.

In 2002, the Premier League transfer record was ~30m, the total spend in the 2002/2003 Premier League season was approx 335m. Minimum wage was £4.20 and the average salary was 20k.

As of 2023, the Premier League transfer record is 107m, the total spend in the Premier League last year exceeded 3 billion with Chelsea alone spending almost twice the 2002/3 total, a newly promoted club spent 195m and the lowest spenders in the league spent over 45. Minimum wage was £9.50 and the average income was ~£33k.

Football's money being alien and out of touch with the average person isn't new just as millionaires having unimaginably more money than you or I isn't new. But what is more significant than ever before is the gap. The money the wealthiest have has gotten so absurdly, dangerously out of control and football is a really significant reflection of that at a time when people are really feeling the strain. The Boomers didn't give a shit when the wealthiest 1% started pulling away and getting drastically richer and richer and richer because at least they were taken care of. They could afford homes, educations, families, cars, holidays whilst doing "average" jobs and could take their disposable income largely for granted.

That's not really the case for people these days. Its no wonder you hear more complaints about it now, regarding football or otherwise.

I mean, I agree, but I was comparing clubs and transfer fees not comparing clubs to everyday people. Mike's post about not watching a game because it's a club with lots of money beating another with less money, that can be applied to the last 20 years which was my point.

A lot of inconsistency again during both games yesterday, Kluivert doesn’t even get a yellow for the foul on Diaz amongst them but the funniest thing was Carragher saying Jota is Liverpools all time natural goal scorer (or at least on par with Fowler)

Its funny because he’s saying it off the back of those 2 goals, those weren’t what I’d call natural as he’s just blasted them both & the 2nd whilst slipping.

Natural to me has an element of finesse about it there is no way he’s a more natural finisher than say Torres let alone a host of other Liverpool goal scorers who swept the ball into the net.

21 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

£100m

Saudi monopoly aside....Seems odd. 

They need about 8 players and they're selling one of the only ones they have who never gets injured lol 

So even if it is a finance raise to allow someone else to come in, they're swapping out someone who starts for them. So it's not like the Saint Maximam deal.

• Like 1