Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

31 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I don’t quite get this exchange. If Toney took out the defender (which IMO he did) then whether he was or was not offside is surely irrelevant ? 

He’s used his strength and intelligence, it’s certainly not a foul. 

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

To be clear, he didn't wrestle the defender out of the way, it wasn't a foul in its own right. I don't particularly mind what Toney did, it was extremely trivial obstruction at worst. 

But if he'd have touched the ball then Maupay would have been offside. 

I wasn't properly paying attention to the fact the punt forward was a goal kick when I watched it and probably should have watched it again before posting anything lol

Yeah, I get the offside bit 

IMy observation was that Toney did barge the defender out of the way but have only seen it once 

21 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Yeah, I get the offside bit 

IMy observation was that Toney did barge the defender out of the way but have only seen it once 

definitely advise you watch it again :D  Flekken had a good game by the looks of it, very good save from De Bruyne.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

To be clear, he didn't wrestle the defender out of the way, it wasn't a foul in its own right. I don't particularly mind what Toney did, it was extremely trivial obstruction at worst. 

But if he'd have touched the ball then Maupay would have been offside. 

I wasn't properly paying attention to the fact the punt forward was a goal kick when I watched it and probably should have watched it again before posting anything lol

Tbf it’s not  often  you see a long goal kick these days .

21 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Tbf it’s not  often  you see a long goal kick these days .

Brian Deane and Paul Dickov would have loved playing against a team that pushes up like that on goal kicks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Through work friends, I gather the top top academies are making efforts to let the kids know there's a 1 in a million chance they make it and push the education side.

But below that, many are still selling dreams that would never come true.

I think for most players now probably know the club they are growing up with wont be the club they make it to becoming a first teamer.

How many folks are missing being in the premier league? Yes I know we all want to be playing at top level and the club needs to be up there but I’m certainly not missing VAR and all the constant controversy every game, the stop/start nonsense etc.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

How many folks are missing being in the premier league? Yes I know we all want to be playing at top level and the club needs to be up there but I’m certainly not missing VAR and all the constant controversy every game, the stop/start nonsense etc.

Missing it like a hole in the head!!

42 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

The 4% are probably the most important ones ..

Well VAR is only looking at important decisions, if more of them are correct post-VAR (and a reasonably substantial amount more) than pre-VAR then it's doing what it's intended to do.

3 hours ago, Mark_w said:

Well VAR is only looking at important decisions, if more of them are correct post-VAR (and a reasonably substantial amount more) than pre-VAR then it's doing what it's intended to do.

Not sure people would say it is which is the trouble!

Soon be something else for refs to deal with and “get wrong”

Cue endless debates about what is a “blue card “ and what isn’t.

Particularly when it comes to fouls

Edited by Super_horns
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

do you get a yellow and a blue? or just the blue. 

Players are going to be diving on the halfway line now ffs 

What they need is a green card in-between a yellow and a blue... not a lime green colour, more your British racing green.

27 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Absolute codswallop. 

Just another way to give the big teams more decisions their way and make sure they win more often. 

Wish they'd just leave the major rules of the game alone. 

I actually think it hurts bigger teams.

The sides that love to camp in the opposition half because they've always got the back up of just fouling the counter attacking player will not like this new rule.

10 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

The biggest issue I have with var is how long it takes. Sometimes 3+ minutes for something that’s so obvious, completely ruins the flow of the game, most fans I imagine would take a 5% drop in correct decisions for the benefit of a free flowing game, it’s horrendous.

Not sure they would in the heat of the moment though.

If a decision goes against their team they won’t like it no matter how long it takes or if there is VAR at all.

Football is too tribal for that I feel .

And VAR has made it worse really as inconsistency is shown up even more .

Edited by Super_horns

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Not sure people would say it is which is the trouble!

Soon be something else for refs to deal with and “get wrong”

Cue endless debates about what is a “blue card “ and what isn’t.

Particularly when it comes to fouls

They should concentrate on getting VAR right before doing anything else. 

31 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

They should concentrate on getting VAR right before doing anything else. 

As in not use for subjective decisions that no-one can agree on and differ from ref to ref game by game?

With VAR people expected perfection and for every decision to be the same each week and for all the refs to be align in their thinking.

Be the same here.

You'd soon get people saying well that was a harsh blue card or why wasn't that player given one.

• Like 1