Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

8 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

If they slip up, it will be down to injuries. The way they play, they will make chances even against teams that shut up shop. Though I would expect them to make fewer chances in such matches.

Will be interesting to see how they get on in the second half of the season when teams they have already played setup differently.

10 hours ago, tom27111 said:

We should probably be more respectful than we are.

We'll have a tough run, it's inevitable, and everyone else will love it.

You don't win the league after 11 games.

No you don't.

But our start has put us in a position were even if we hit similar form to the likes of Millwall or Bristol City (1.36 points per game) for the rest of the season we are still hitting 77 points.

Any above 1.7 points a game for here see us hit 90 point which will be enough for automatic spots.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Hitting some really good form and playing great football. 

But a hint of caution is still needed. We're 11 games in, teams have already started to sit as a block of 11 behind the ball and we'll have a tough patch at some point in the year. 

They did that from the start of the season and we struggled to break them down. The past two games are evidence that we’ve clearly improved already at breaking down those teams. Stoke are the first example and won’t be the last team who were beaten before they even stepped off the bus. 

• Like 4

I thought Norwich and Southampton were gonna be huge tests for us but we dismantled them with ease. Sunderland on 24 October and Leeds on 3 November will be another big tests.

This league is piss easy that’s not being arrogant that’s just a fact with the premier league players we have, relative to most teams who don’t have that quality.

We should be finishing the season with 100 plus points.

With the likes of Praet / Kasey/ Braybrooke / Alves to come back from Injury our squad depth is insanely good.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Koke said:

We do give away opportunities though. Yesterday Stoke missed a near open goal header. Luckily we're not up against Premier League strikers.

Every game we're let off by teams being unable to finish. Someone will take an opportunity and we'll be well up against it

17 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

This league is piss easy that’s not being arrogant that’s just a fact with the premier league players we have, relative to most teams who don’t have that quality.

We should be finishing the season with 100 plus points.

With the likes of Praet / Kasey/ Braybrooke / Alves to come back from Injury our squad depth is insanely good.

Why can’t you just enjoy the games and the wins without having to reiterate this message 100 times every day? Whether it ends up being true or not, it is arrogant. It also just comes across as being very insecure :dunno:

1 minute ago, LCFCJohn said:

Why can’t you just enjoy the games and the wins without having to reiterate this message 100 times every day? Whether it ends up being true or not, it is arrogant. It also just comes across as being very insecure :dunno:

I am enjoying the journey :) very much so!

I just want us to win this league at a canter we deserve to , the club got it wrong on so many levels last season. So it’s nice to see the changes made and our journey onwards and upwards again.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Koke said:

I thought Norwich and Southampton were gonna be huge tests for us but we dismantled them with ease. Sunderland on 24 October and Leeds on 3 November will be another big tests.

Leeds won't be a big test they are shite 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

I am enjoying the journey :) very much so!

I just want us to win this league at a canter we deserve to , the club got it wrong on so many levels last season. So it’s nice to see the changes made and our journey onwards and upwards again.

Sorry, wasn’t a personal dig by the way! 

I agree with all you say here. I do agree that the more I see, the outcome looks like it will be as you say, barring unexpected events. I (and many other posters) are naturally more cautious of the fact unexpected events can happen at any time!

It is refreshing to see things going right after the past years. I just personally am looking game by game and not wanting to put expectations on certain points totals at certain times etc. 

As long as we are all enjoying it as we see fit anyway!

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

They did that from the start of the season and we struggled to break them down. The past two games are evidence that we’ve clearly improved already at breaking down those teams. Stoke are the first example and won’t be the last team who were beaten before they even stepped off the bus. 

Somebody made a point start if season that - and I remember the phrase - we needed to come out swinging. I liked the point and it was correct. 

A good start would mean teams start to write off our games, and there's evidence of that already..mark Clement on radio 5 yesterday brushed off Preston's defeat to us as 'everyone will lose there anyway' 

1 hour ago, Koke said:

We do give away opportunities though. Yesterday Stoke missed a near open goal header. Luckily we're not up against Premier League strikers.

Agreed but we miss our fair share of sitters in every single game too. With our style of play we're vulnerable to the counter if the opposition beat our press. 

51 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

Leeds won't be a big test they are shite 

What I have found amusing is we've seen a tonne of comments about us having a massive squad and spending on it. 

Leeds have a £35m striker/winger playing and I've not heard much about that mentioned 

Loving it obviously. 

Also aware we have over 30 games still to go. 

But we are nearing a quarter of the season gone. 

If we do get promoted my only worry is that we may be in a situation where we start the Prem season with a weaker squad. 

Hear me out. We've a few on loan and also we may lose a few at the end of their current contracts. Some may also be cherry picked by 'bigger clubs' (but of course we are massive ;)).  We will have to replace players and our success if/when we return will depend on the quality of those players. 

Another thought, I wonder if a few of those that left (Madison, Barnes aside) are regretting their choices? 

Edited by Product of 84
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Product of 84 said:

Loving it obviously. 

Also aware we have over 30 games still to go. 

But we are nearing a quarter of the season gone. 

If we do get promoted my only worry is that we may be in a situation where we start the Prem season with a weaker squad. 

Hear me out. We've a few on loan and also we may lose a few at the end of their current contracts. Some may also be cherry picked by 'bigger clubs' (but of course we are massive ;)).  We will have to replace players and our success if/when we return will depend on the quality of those players. 

Another thought, I wonder if a few of those that left (Madison, Barnes aside) are regretting their choices? 

I don't know at what point I start getting concerned about next summer recruitment. Been trying to convince myself that all what matters is promotion, and i still believe that. If we let this slip we can be stuck in the Championship for years. 

I do think if we go up then the rebuild is going to be significant. Those who have this season left on their contracts will be leaving (thats Nacho, Ndidi, Vesty, some bloke called Praet) and i think Vardy will retire. I think those we have loan options are will stay but i don't see us keeping Casadei (i think Chelsea want a lot of money for him). 

I think i am not going to worry about it until Feb/March. Hopefully Enzo has contacts up his sleeve and the recruitment team and Enzo are a very close unit.

I do think if promoted, the first 1/4 of next season will be very, very difficult.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

The hardest thing for me if we get promoted after having such a good season, will be some of our fans expectations. 

Happily settle for another great escape and then a title win in 25/26. Nice way to honour 10 years on after our first. 

Nothing wrong with that expectation :ph34r:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Every game we're let off by teams being unable to finish. Someone will take an opportunity and we'll be well up against it

Such an odd point of view imo.

Firstly 6 teams have finished and we still beat 5 of them.

Secondly at least twice in every match we play we (usually KDH) misses a one-on-one and have a shot blocked near the goal and flash one wide of the post. Are these us letting teams off? Or just natural parts of the game? 

I think all fans look more critically at their own team, but I’m sure we’ve had plenty more ‘moments’ than our opponents.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bert said:

The hardest thing for me if we get promoted after having such a good season, will be some of our fans expectations. 

When Rodgers was sacked, the board had finally woken up after it was too late. It had nothing whatsoever to do with mounting pressure from the home fanbase. 

In that regard, a significant portion of the fans were just as culpable as the board in burying their head in the sand despite being routinely confronted with evidence that Rodgers was dismantling everything that we'd been building and was both unable and - more unforgivably - unwilling to turn things around. Instead of being outraged by the enormous gulf between our resources and our performances, many accepted what they were witnessing as some kind of return to natural order. 

I'm delighted that Maresca has in such a short span of time made a mockery of Rodgers' complaints and excuses. After the events of the past few seasons however, I'm also concerned about the expectations of our fans. For entirely different reasons than you.

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Danizen said:

Probably the only time, this season that I want Ipswich to win. The chasm we're building to third is amazing to see.

Yes was good result for us, they always have massive fight, as there opponents seem to come back to level a lot but then ipswich overcome them, might well give us a tough game.