Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

41 minutes ago, iancognito said:

Wednesday's owner sounds like a poundshop Top and the Baggies guy - Lao Che from Indiana Jones? - has cleared their accounts and can't get them sold fast enough with their parachute payments running out in a few months.

It really shows the variance of the type of owners you can get from the same country, a problem is many in the english football community like to paint owners who share the same nationality with the same brush. As you said, this can't be further from the truth if you look at Top and compare him with Chansiri. 

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

We could have easily lost a number of games too, but didn't. That's how it goes.

Preston have had the harder start anyway, just. Ipswich lost to the toughest team they've faced (Leeds).

Sorry but I am really not getting your love in for Preston! They are the definition of mediocre in this division and will fall away once their luck runs out. You can see that simply by watching their games. Got nothing about them to suggest they will be challenging long term. 

You can call us lucky but we have a style of play and quality of player which suggests we will improve, there's only one way for PNE and that's down. 

As for Ipswich, they may be a little closer to the playoffs just purely based on being a more rounded team but I fully expect them to fall away too. 

11 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Sorry but I am really not getting your love in for Preston! They are the definition of mediocre in this division and will fall away once their luck runs out. You can see that simply by watching their games. Got nothing about them to suggest they will be challenging long term. 

You can call us lucky but we have a style of play and quality of player which suggests we will improve, there's only one way for PNE and that's down. 

As for Ipswich, they may be a little closer to the playoffs just purely based on being a more rounded team but I fully expect them to fall away too. 

You'd have thought the same with Cov and Luton last season. There's always one that breaks the mould and ends up in the mix and just having a solid defence can get you a long way in such a bunfight of a division.

10 minutes ago, iancognito said:

You'd have thought the same with Cov and Luton last season. There's always one that breaks the mould and ends up in the mix and just having a solid defence can get you a long way in such a bunfight of a division.

Yes that's true having a solid defence can get you places that's the thing they have going for them. Still don't think it will be enough, same as it wasn't last season. 

14 hours ago, Drink Water said:

It really shows the variance of the type of owners you can get from the same country, a problem is many in the english football community like to paint owners who share the same nationality with the same brush. As you said, this can't be further from the truth if you look at Top and compare him with Chansiri. 

TBF, it does sound like a very Lao Che thing to do 😋

• Haha 1

Preston have played against these opponents (adding their current league position)

Bristol City (7th) - 1 point

Sunderland (4th) - 3 points

Sheffield Wednesday (23rd) - 3 points

Swansea (22nd) - 3 points

Stoke City (19th) - 3 points

Plymouth Argyle (18th) - 3 points

Birmingham City (8th) - 3 points

So all in all they have played easier opposition relative to us.

Wait till they play us, Ipswich, Norwich City, Hull City etc… if they come away unbeaten then I think they have shown they are the real deal, but I doubt it they will lose at some point and we will be ready to pounce and take that top spot for the remainder of the season.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Preston have played against these opponents (adding their current league position)

Bristol City (7th) - 1 point

Sunderland (4th) - 3 points

Sheffield Wednesday (23rd) - 3 points

Swansea (22nd) - 3 points

Stoke City (19th) - 3 points

Plymouth Argyle (18th) - 3 points

Birmingham City (8th) - 3 points

So all in all they have played easier opposition relative to us.

Wait till they play us, Ipswich, Norwich City, Hull City etc… if they come away unbeaten then I think they have shown they are the real deal, but I doubt it they will lose at some point and we will be ready to pounce and take that top spot for the remainder of the season.

tbf it wont be too long until we play Preston, got them midweek first week of October,

as I've said before, QPR had a really good start the other season and then fell away massively, 

and as you said, looking at the fixtures theyve started wtih on paper youd say theyve had the easier start too

• Like 1

It is pretty pedestrian thinking to think that one point difference after 7 games has any bearing on the quality between two teams, and that the current standings are the sole arbiter of the order of quality in the league. If you watch both the sides Ipswich are clearly a better side than Preston atm, Preston were very fortunate the other night, I can’t see them keeping up this run of form

Sunderland have also been really good and wouldn’t shock me if they started to go on a little run

On 18/09/2023 at 14:59, Dan LCFC said:

You know what's mad is I think if Preston played Middlesbrough, they'd make Middlesbrough favourites. Certainly at the Riverside anyway.

You can still get 33/1 on Preston this morning despite them getting 19pts from 21, the market really doesn't rate them.

Just a brilliant week for us though, this time last week the market considered us stand out favourites at 2/1 and Norwich, Ipswich, Southampton and Leeds all about 9/1 with 25/1 bar the rest. We've just gone and beaten two of our four biggest competitors away from home in five days.

• Like 1

On 19/09/2023 at 21:28, Jobyfox said:

I had a few teams marked as rivals, but Preston Nob End weren’t one of them.

Fair play if they can keep pace with their resources

I googled their team last week, they have a lot of players mid 20's with quite average careers which you would presume they're just playing above their level or riding their luck at the moment . If their squad was full of players 22 and younger then they would be more of a threat as their players are unestablished and have some elasticity in their potential. 

Obviously like our title winning team the longer they stay up there the more respect you have to give them as a real threat but looking at their betting price and the fact that we know a lot of their squad have played for a good few years without furthering their careers then we already have evidence they're not that good but like our 2015/16 you never know with journeymen like Simpson, Huth, Morgan, Albrighton, etc.

6 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Understand that Wednesday had new prospective American owners there at Hillsborough on Tuesday night.

Reckon that was on the cards anyway or fan pressure on Chansiri finally starting to tell? Not many owls I know who have a good word to say about him. 

Just now, Manini said:

Reckon that was on the cards anyway or fan pressure on Chansiri finally starting to tell? Not many owls I know who have a good word to say about him. 

Its fairly well known the money has dried up from the Chansiri family,  but yeah pressure has stepped up though.

Pretty disappointing numbers got involved in the protest on Tuesday but I believe it did make Sky sports so maybe job done there. A lot talked a good game on social media about protesting and turning it toxic but not many did anything in reality. 

Xisco is crap too.

2 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Its fairly well known the money has dried up from the Chansiri family,  but yeah pressure has stepped up though.

Pretty disappointing numbers got involved in the protest on Tuesday but I believe it did make Sky sports so maybe job done there. A lot talked a good game on social media about protesting and turning it toxic but not many did anything in reality. 

Xisco is crap too.

I wasn’t aware of a protest but have seen rumblings on twitter and saw the flag in the kop getting sprayed over. Xisco is crap, you have to say that Moore saw a lot of this coming and played a blinder in reality. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Manini said:

I wasn’t aware of a protest but have seen rumblings on twitter and saw the flag in the kop getting sprayed over. Xisco is crap, you have to say that Moore saw a lot of this coming and played a blinder in reality. 

Was an in game mass throwing of tennis balls. Id say 15 or so balls got on the pitch in the corner of their North stand.