Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

3 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

Preston have played against these opponents (adding their current league position)

Bristol City (7th) - 1 point

Sunderland (4th) - 3 points

Sheffield Wednesday (23rd) - 3 points

Swansea (22nd) - 3 points

Stoke City (19th) - 3 points

Plymouth Argyle (18th) - 3 points

Birmingham City (8th) - 3 points

So all in all they have played easier opposition relative to us.

Wait till they play us, Ipswich, Norwich City, Hull City etc… if they come away unbeaten then I think they have shown they are the real deal, but I doubt it they will lose at some point and we will be ready to pounce and take that top spot for the remainder of the season.

Found this table quite interesting, obviously it'll start to even out as we approach the halfway mark and become less meaningful. 

I like the "Next 4 opponents" bit too, ours was like 2.4 or similar yesterday before we played Norwich. 

The only thing is that this table splits it into home & away PPG depending on where the fixtures are, for example if somebody played us at home we'd be counted as 3.0 PPG rather than our actual 2.57, not sure if this is more accurate or not. 

image.thumb.png.5f3de776226a69ba63ab504a7905fd02.png

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jack1993 said:

Found this table quite interesting, obviously it'll start to even out as we approach the halfway mark and become less meaningful. 

I like the "Next 4 opponents" bit too, ours was like 2.4 or similar yesterday before we played Norwich. 

The only thing is that this table splits it into home & away PPG depending on where the fixtures are, for example if somebody played us at home we'd be counted as 3.0 PPG rather than our actual 2.57, not sure if this is more accurate or not. 

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing.:thumbup:

• Like 1

Just now, Happy Fox said:

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing.:thumbup:

No problem, it's a really good website, I've just been flicking through - There's an option to bring up a form table (Last 4, 6, 8, 10 or 12 matches), it shows how many you've won, lost etc. like a normal table but also the points per game of the opponents you've faced in that time period. For example, we've got the same 4 game form as Cardiff, but played against much more difficult opponents. 

image.png.67e845d5d1fce57ee25a9a3b74b90ed7.png

Sorry to piggy back on your post anyway, it just fitted in nicely with the point you were making lol!

3 hours ago, Jack1993 said:

it’s interesting statistically but a lot of pap  at the end of the day. Football is a human game not a video game, you catch teams in good moments and bad moments. It does give you a rough idea of how hard a fixture might be but the reality can be completely different. For example you don’t want to play a relegation threatened team in the run in as a game against a much better (on paper) mid table side playing for nothing would actually be easier. 

Or a star player might depart. A change of manager.  All things will factor how hard any given fixture will be. 

11 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

it’s interesting statistically but a lot of pap  at the end of the day. Football is a human game not a video game, you catch teams in good moments and bad moments. It does give you a rough idea of how hard a fixture might be but the reality can be completely different. For example you don’t want to play a relegation threatened team in the run in as a game against a much better (on paper) mid table side playing for nothing would actually be easier. 

Or a star player might depart. A change of manager.  All things will factor how hard any given fixture will be. 

I disagree, saying that football is a human game therefore nothing is remotely predictable & you can't possibly say one run of fixtures is easier than another is ridiculous.

Each individual team's form can vary on any given matchday, so anybody COULD win any game, however it gives a huge indication on how easy or difficult your upcoming run of games will be. Playing against 6 teams in a row that are averaging 0.8 - 1.1 points per game is definitely & undeniably easier than playing 6 teams in a row that are averaging 2.0 - 2.4.

It's not saying, these next 6 opponents average less points per game than us therefore we will definitely beat them all, it's saying ALL 6 opponents are struggling to pick up points therefore it's easier to take more points off them. 

"Or a star player might depart. A change of manager.  All things will factor how hard any given fixture will be."

The PPG stats in the post that you've replied to would be even more meaningful in these situations, you can literally check whether a team is picking up more points on average before or after any given event, whether they're better home or away, whether they pick up more points against good teams or bad teams etc. - some stats are completely meaningless but these ones are genuinely useful. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

Preston have played against these opponents (adding their current league position)

Bristol City (7th) - 1 point

Sunderland (4th) - 3 points

Sheffield Wednesday (23rd) - 3 points

Swansea (22nd) - 3 points

Stoke City (19th) - 3 points

Plymouth Argyle (18th) - 3 points

Birmingham City (8th) - 3 points

So all in all they have played easier opposition relative to us.

Wait till they play us, Ipswich, Norwich City, Hull City etc… if they come away unbeaten then I think they have shown they are the real deal, but I doubt it they will lose at some point and we will be ready to pounce and take that top spot for the remainder of the season.

And our fans were all doom and gloom after the opening day when we only got a point against them ..

8 minutes ago, nathan. said:

You simply cannot predict the championship. The top 6 is anyone’s guess 

Bang on. 

you can guarantee at the end of the season you’ll see a team in the top 6 who are currently lurking in about 18th-14th who everybody has already wrote off. Happens every year, a decent couple of months after Christmas for a nobody teams and they find themselves 5th. 

Got very over confident and had a look at the Championship record. Reading in 2005/2006 with 106 points. They only lost twice. Unbelievable record. They secured it with a 1-1 draw at our place with about 6 games to go. Usually anything above 90 secures you a top two place so that's got to be the aim for us.

So after 7ish games, this is the team of the season so far, based on WhoScored ratings

Gk - Václav Hladky (7.08)

DL - Leif Davi’s (7.20)

DC - Liam Lindsey (7.21)

DC - Callum Doyle (7.10)

DR - Ricardo (7.06)

DM - Gabriel Sara (7.86)

CM - Dewsbury Hall (7.57) 

CM - Aaron Ramsey (7.23)

LM - Jack Clarke (7.84)

RM - Kasey McAteer (7.43)

ST - Georginio Rutter (7.31)

51 minutes ago, Sly said:

So after 7ish games, this is the team of the season so far, based on WhoScored ratings

Gk - Václav Hladky (7.08)

DL - Leif Davi’s (7.20)

DC - Liam Lindsey (7.21)

DC - Callum Doyle (7.10)

DR - Ricardo (7.06)

DM - Gabriel Sara (7.86)

CM - Dewsbury Hall (7.57) 

CM - Aaron Ramsey (7.23)

LM - Jack Clarke (7.84)

RM - Kasey McAteer (7.43)

ST - Georginio Rutter (7.31)

Amazed Hardie for Plymouth isn’t upfront

Not sure why there is so much bashing of preston, I assume this is because they not a leeds, leicester, southampton or a norwich they dont have the right to be where they are so they will drop off, the same as what people were saying about us 9 years ago.

Confidence is a huge factor in football, we lacked it last season and got relegated with the most expensive relegated team in history, likewise there has been many teams promoted on a shoestring.  Momentum breeds confidence.

We also have rode luck to get the points tally we currently have, the arguments to preston equally apply to us.  They can drop off, but we can drop off as well, we will both drop off at least to a degree. As we not maintaining a 6 wins out of 7 form for the entire season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nathan. said:

You simply cannot predict the championship. The top 6 is anyone’s guess 

Yep, a few winning runs for teams that have started poorly, and they're in to the top 8.  

Sometimes it doesn't take actual shape until Feb/March for the whole division, even if 1 team is running away with it.

14 minutes ago, nathan. said:

If we get top 6 i will be content. 

I won't, not with our start.  If we finish 6th from here, even this early on, with our team, it's a bit of a failure.  We probably have the strongest team the championship has ever seen apart from maybe Newcastle half a decade ago.

Am not saying we should walk the league, but I'd only be content now with 2nd.

Edited by kristianity77
  • Like 1

Guest nathan.
Just now, kristianity77 said:

I won't, not with our start.  If we finish 6th from here, even this early on, with our team, it's a bit of a failure.  

Am not saying we should walk the league, but I'd only be content now with 2nd.

Its been a brilliant start but its a crazy league.

Top 6 is minimum for me.