Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

It has to drive standards up including 20ish players in a team over the season depending on the fixture, than constantly selecting the same 13 or 14 players. Creates a good atmosphere in the group, creates competition for places and keep everyone on their toes.

Edited by Beachyboy

50 minutes ago, Shane said:

Jack Clarke is one to keep an eye on this season. 5 goals in 7 games.

He’s a very tricky winger

He is a good player, Sunderland have built a very young and dynamic squad and I think they'll continue to knock on the door for promotion, not sure if it'll happen this season but they'll get up eventually.

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

We are the best team in the league. That was to be expected, but it's nice to know it's true.

Ipswich are the biggest story though:

QcWZkri.png

^ These are really impressive underlying metrics. They aren't getting lucky in many of their games, they are winning deservedly. Maresca and McKenna are clearly the standout coaches in this division.

AVKIuqv.png

^ Here's Preston's stats before today. By contrast to us and Ipswich, they have been getting lucky against teams. Their defence it has to be said is kind of absurd, that is definitely impressive. But you can see what they give up in order to achieve that, they simply don't carry enough of a goal threat.

At this rate it's hard not to see Leicester and Ipswich as the top 2. The next most dangerous team according to the data would be Leeds, so it's great we already have a gap on them.

could you not have posted this before i bet on ipswich preston and leicester today....

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

It'll be us and Leeds clear by plenty come Christmas imo

Agreed.  Both look much better than Southampton (better managers too) and I don’t see anybody else who has the horses to keep up, no disrespect to Preston.

Enzo has us calmly in control against lesser opposition (which is most of the league, happily).  Leeds, meanwhile, seems to have settled their defense and their attacking talent is the best in the division.  Looking at Rutter’s highlights from today he was an absolute monster.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Old Fox said:

Why not ?

I don’t get this view —we were beating championship sides in cups with our reserves over the past 6 seasons due to the strength in depth we had and whilst we have not got the same quality in Maddison, tielemans, Barnes etc we have invested well and have attacking fire power out wide and up front. Our squad and first team quality is the best in the division and we should we walking this division based upon the standard - it’s not disrespectful it’s a fact as we have not got going or even close to the standards we have the potential to be so for me I am expecting us to walk this division and I would imagine so is the Chairman - no one at the club will say so but extremely poor decisions resulted in us being here but good ones have given us a reset and now we need to get back where we should be ………

Would be a 2.625 PPG for the season with 7 out of 8, over the season that would be around 120 points, how often does that happen?

11 minutes ago, MattFox said:

Wouldn’t bet against Leeds doing their usual Championship implosion 

Happened basically every season for a decade before Bielsa

Their manager won this league the last two seasons he was in it.  I doubt he gives a flip about what happened before Bielsa.

Southampton showing why most of us were sick at the thought of Russell Martin when we were linked! I looked back at the thread the other day and only saw one person who seemed pro the link to him and it was one of Rodgers hard core supporters :ph34r:

Leeds will be main challengers. They might have had a slow start but they seem to have clicked.

Good to see Preston drop points, Ipswich showing no signs of slowing down though!

• Haha 1