Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

23 minutes ago, Koke said:

The Championship needs to change its name. Its a stupid name for a second tier division. League 1 & 2 also needs changing. I get the Premier League is technically a separate competition to the Championship but they're all essentially linked.

Who cares?

I mean if we’re going there then the Champions League needs to change its name 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tomek said:

I’m going to reserve judgment on this one as it look’s completely photoshopped to me. 

obviously if it isn’t photoshopped he deserves everything he gets.

Yeah honestly the screen shouldn't be visible at that angle from that distance with the sun/light glare

Leeds have got to be the most overrated side in this division. 
They keep a clean sheet against Watford and Sheff Wed and all of a sudden they’ve sorted their defensive line out and are challengers.

They’ve got a couple of decent attacking players, who when they fire will get them goals in this division, but honestly in the three games I’ve seen them play this season (small sample size I know) I’d be surprised if they make top 6, let alone challenge for an automatic place. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Leeds have got to be the most overrated side in this division. 
They keep a clean sheet against Watford and Sheff Wed and all of a sudden they’ve sorted their defensive line out and are challengers.

They’ve got a couple of decent attacking players, who when they fire will get them goals in this division, but honestly in the three games I’ve seen them play this season (small sample size I know) I’d be surprised if they make top 6, let alone challenge for an automatic place. 

They really shouldn’t have a problem with top 6. They do have good fire power (albeit not yesterday) and I’m not sure the comment about clean sheets makes the point you are thinking. Perhaps it means that as they click they will be fast track bullies of the lower sides which would be enough generally for top 6. I just think that they’ll click on the day more often than not to be fine for top 6 at least.

Anyway 2 sides will get automatic. Ok, a number of people on here have already decided we will have had the title wrapped up in March and will look stupid if that’s not the case now. But given how the same people are writing off every other side as being shit and not capable of promotion, what will happen to second place!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

They really shouldn’t have a problem with top 6. They do have good fire power (albeit not yesterday) and I’m not sure the comment about clean sheets makes the point you are thinking. Perhaps it means that as they click they will be fast track bullies of the lower sides which would be enough generally for top 6. I just think that they’ll click on the day more often than not to be fine for top 6 at least.

Anyway 2 sides will get automatic. Ok, a number of people on here have already decided we will have had the title wrapped up in March and will look stupid if that’s not the case now. But given how the same people are writing off every other side as being shit and not capable of promotion, what will happen to second place!

Who cares as long we are top 😁 - I actually prefer us approaching it confidently and looking down on everyone with our resources we should be dominating and so far the standard has been dreadful so hopefully we can keep building the Enzo way whilst winning !!

21 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

Who cares as long we are top 😁 - I actually prefer us approaching it confidently and looking down on everyone with our resources we should be dominating and so far the standard has been dreadful so hopefully we can keep building the Enzo way whilst winning !!

Absolutely. It is a nice change and I’m enjoying it and yes feel a confidence going into games that we haven’t had for a few years.

I think though you can be confident and enjoy game by game whilst realising the bigger picture and how quickly football can change. We’ve already had on long term injury with Doyle. Hopefully we can find a work around there. If one or two more such as Winks and Hermansen happened, we would probably look immediately less dominating. Hopefully this is just PTSD from the previous years re injuries talking!!

The other factor is we will inevitably have a bad patch. It will be how we bounce back. Positive signs so far were that the one game we have lost (in the league), we have bounced back with 3 wins on the trot so hopefully that will not be an issue either.

It’d be great to what the chaos from above though definitely.

15 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Unless we can defend and get a midfield we will probably be 2 leagues apart next season .

Wow.

How bad is it?

I've only seen one full 90 minute game of you this season – funnily enough against Blackburn. Can't really base anything on that, but you looked in control for most of it? The main thing I remember from that game is that neither team took their chances.

On 30/09/2023 at 13:12, Samilktray said:

It really is time this league and those that cover it started to give us the respect we deserve. We are the best team in this league comfortably and it’s not up for debate, I also cannot wait for us to follow up this post by losing to Blackburn tomorrow. 

3048.jpg?width=1200&height=900&quality=8

Sheffield Wednesday are right up the creek. For a long time there have been ex players talking about Chansiri the owner constantly meddles in the dressing room and forces managers to play specific ways, over the past few years he has managed to snake oil his way into basically having the club over a barrel. Thought he could spend his way out of the league with Carlos Carvalhal in charge (whilst also meddling with his management of the club) and almost succeeded, spending about £40m in 3 seasons (apparently on many players that Carlos Carvalhal did not even want, on huge wages). Once that failed for the 3rd year in a row, he sacked one of the best managers they have had in years.
For years, he has been one of the main sponsors of the club around the stadium, cutting himself cheap deals to use the club as advertisement for his business, after his small spending spree and failure to get promotion, he "saved the club" from FFP, by selling the stadium.... to himself via his business.
After "saving" the club, he has basically refused to invest into the club in terms of transfers since the 17/18 season. The club have been doing poorly commercially for a while now because of Chansiris mismanagement and they are now in a position where he is having to invest £2m a month of his own money to keep the club afloat.
He has just announced he is removing this funding, so expecting huge cutbacks and an even more inevitable decline into relegation until someone comes up with an offer. Having followed this club for many years, Chansiri is the type of arrogant owner that would rather see the club go into administration than sell the club for an offer below his own valuation. He's the epitome of a dangerous football club owner that would rival the Oystons, a stain on the game.

There are so many other stories that ex players have told and other wild details that you could go into when you scratch below the surface of Wednesday that really show us just how lucky we are (even with the mess we have found ourselves in).

Really hope someone comes in with an offer for Wednesday, but even then, Chansiri will value the club well over what it's worth, and even when he sells it, he owns the ground now, I expect any potential bidder for the club will just wait for him to take them into administration before bidding. What a mess.

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

Wednesday's game could see us win as many games as the whole of last season.

Not only does that put things into perspective, how dreadfully poor we were last season but also the gulf between the two leagues.

Don't think we'd have got relegated last season with this team and manager.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AjcW said:

Disagree. Unlike every other nation in the world it’s a high quality second tier  consumed (and revered) worldwide.

Its no coincidence it’s popularity worldwide has grown since the name changed. 

Being called “the championship” is what sets it apart… although Scotland did copy it lol 

Do you work for the football league or something bloody hell.

• Haha 1

To finish 21st last season we need 21 points = 0.56 points per game.

To finish 6th last season we need 45 points = 1.25 points per game.

To finish 2nd last season we need 67 points = 1.86 points per game. 

So we're in a fairly decent position I would say.

• Like 4