Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

1 hour ago, Midlands_tractor said:

Great result for Ipswich and a good one for Leicester too, the more we can both keep taking points off the pack the better, good luck tonight against Preston I hope you win and I think you could put 3 or 4 past them.

I saw a post a few back mentioning how we will drop away when injuries occur etc, worth mentioning we haven’t had our first choice keeper all season, Broadhead has missed two on the trot and our vice captain evans is out long term. There is a good chance we could lose burgess, luongo and morsy in jan to international tournaments which will be a blow especially without evans to come in so we will see what happens 

It would be nice to see Ipswich promoted this season. 

Just not at our expense :(

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I can believe how wobbly our fans are despite us winning 8 of our 9 league games. If we do our job which we have been doing we'll comfortably go up. We shouldn't be fearing Ipswich, Leeds or Norwich etc. We love to hype other clubs and ignore the glaring facts of how good we are

It’s not wobbly. It’s just not being arrogant and appreciating that there are 37 more games to go! 

It doesn’t mean people don’t think we will go up, just that discussing transfers for next summer in the Premier League and saying we will have smashed the league by Christmas etc is just very very arrogant and just doesn’t reflect well on our fan based.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

It’s not wobbly. It’s just not being arrogant and appreciating that there are 37 more games to go! 

It doesn’t mean people don’t think we will go up, just that discussing transfers for next summer in the Premier League and saying we will have smashed the league by Christmas etc is just very very arrogant and just doesn’t reflect well on our fan based.

Yeah of course you can go too far the other way and talking about premier league transfers in nonsense. But fretting over Ipswich's results in early October is equally daft imo. It's nice to have some healthy competition and we won't have it all our own way but make no mistake we are the best team in this league 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

You boys are flying. I think the truth is, most won't know much about your squad as its been built very shrewdly at a lower level and therefore many can only presume its unlikely there's a real depth to it. 

Its rare a team comes up from League One and is in the mix for automatic promotion so succinctly but its do-able and I think teams ought to underestimate you at their peril.

I like your attacking options, probably the biggest bunch of underrated wingers and forwards in the league, bit there's so many options.

It will be difficult for us both to keep maintaining 2.5 / 2.7 points per game, there'll likely be a drop off but its about racking up the points and managing the chaos.

I am surprised George Hirst is playing well at Championship level. It was only a couple seasons ago that he just about looked decent in league one. It will be interesting how well he plays against us when we face them.

Edited by honeybradger
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

I am surprised George Hirst is playing well at Championship level. It was only a couple seasons ago that he just about looked decent in league one. It will be interesting how well he plays against us when we face them.

He seems to be doing well but without scoring many. Not sure if Ipswich are like us in that the goals come from all over rather tha strikers being prolific but he's doing pretty well without racking up a lot of goals.

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

Yeah of course you can go too far the other way and talking about premier league transfers in nonsense. But fretting over Ipswich's results in early October is equally daft imo. It's nice to have some healthy competition and we won't have it all our own way but make no mistake we are the best team in this league 

Spot on. 

And so we should be (best team in the league). But plaudits to Ipswich for the fact they are actually top as we speak despite being promoted.

I am just of the view, enjoy it. I agree that there’s certainly no reason to be doom and gloom as it all looks great currently. But yeah, there’s so very extreme arrogance going on on here as well.

And yeah, too early to be worrying about results of others. Just enjoy game by game and watch our own total rise. 

In terms of worries, the only thing I keep coming back to is injuries. But I can see us learning from previous mistakes and strengthening as needed in January so for me, it’s more about getting to them without losing key players and racking up a huge points tally in that time.

• Like 2

It's been talked on here before about our reluctance on the quick break at times and I thought that was a difference I saw from Ipswich last night - they are slightly more gung ho in their approach than us, which probably explains some of the high scoring games they've had (4-3 v Blackburn, 3-2 v Cardiff, 3-4 v Leeds). They are probably a slightly less controlled but arguably more exciting side to watch than us. I thought their second goal yesterday was really good quality and actually showed a lot of the qualities I've seen in our side this season. I think they are a shoo in for the playoffs at least.

EDIT: a fair few of their goals I have seen seem to have been from outside the box too - which may dry up at some point. We've scored all of ours from inside the area so far?

Edited by Number 6

6 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Not sure how you could have come to that conclusion seeing as we had also scored the joint most in the division before last night.

Leicester 0 - 1 Hull

Leicester 1 - 0 Bristol 

Huddersfield 0 - 1 Leicester 

Hardly free flowing stuff is it

12 minutes ago, Guest said:

Not if you ignore all the games where we've scored more than one goal, no

The games where we struggle are the ones where the other team come in a deep block and sit back, like will be the case tonight, and we don't seem to create much against it

Yes we can run riot against the likes of Blackburn and Southampton who attack us but that's no good if we're going to be struggling every time a team comes looking for a point. 

17 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

The games where we struggle are the ones where the other team come in a deep block and sit back, like will be the case tonight, and we don't seem to create much against it

Yes we can run riot against the likes of Blackburn and Southampton who attack us but that's no good if we're going to be struggling every time a team comes looking for a point. 

There is definitely something in us not being as free scoring at home compared to away from home. However, I'd argue we struggled to create vs Bristol City.

We created far more clear cut chances vs them than we did vs Blackburn at the weekend and the xG backs that up. In fact we've only had 1 game with a higher xG than that Bristol City game which was away at Southampton where we could and should have scored 5 or 6.

Actually, what it comes down to is the difference between the way we were playing before the international break and after. We've only played at home once in 5 games since then. The 3 league games away from home has yielded 10 goals. 

Tonight will likely be a tactical battle from Preston and we're yet to score very early at home, if we do then a low block goes out the window.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

There is definitely something in us not being as free scoring at home compared to away from home. However, I'd argue we struggled to create vs Bristol City.

We created far more clear cut chances vs them than we did vs Blackburn at the weekend and the xG backs that up. In fact we've only had 1 game with a higher xG than that Bristol City game which was away at Southampton where we could and should have scored 5 or 6.

Actually, what it comes down to is the difference between the way we were playing before the international break and after. We've only played at home once in 5 games since then. The 3 league games away from home has yielded 10 goals. 

Tonight will likely be a tactical battle from Preston and we're yet to score very early at home, if we do then a low block goes out the window.

Fair play, it's true any team struggle vs a low block but it seems particularly a problem for possession based teams like us and yet it hasn't seemed to stop the likes of Ipswich. Hope we adapt to it and become proficient at flying out the blocks and scoring early as you say. 

Tonight will be a really good barometer of how we can come with it as Preston are going to make a Pulis side look cavalier. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Going to be difficult job to attract with the owner not going to invest anymore money, interesting that Billy Davies has expressed interest in a return to management so could see him return to football with Sheffield Wednesday. 

It is what it is

On 21/09/2023 at 08:07, Happy Fox said:

Preston have played against these opponents (adding their current league position)

Bristol City (7th) - 1 point

Sunderland (4th) - 3 points

Sheffield Wednesday (23rd) - 3 points

Swansea (22nd) - 3 points

Stoke City (19th) - 3 points

Plymouth Argyle (18th) - 3 points

Birmingham City (8th) - 3 points

So all in all they have played easier opposition relative to us.

Wait till they play us, Ipswich, Norwich City, Hull City etc… if they come away unbeaten then I think they have shown they are the real deal, but I doubt it they will lose at some point and we will be ready to pounce and take that top spot for the remainder of the season.

On 21/09/2023 at 08:52, Dave Fishwick said:

It is pretty pedestrian thinking to think that one point difference after 7 games has any bearing on the quality between two teams, and that the current standings are the sole arbiter of the order of quality in the league. If you watch both the sides Ipswich are clearly a better side than Preston atm, Preston were very fortunate the other night, I can’t see them keeping up this run of form

Sunderland have also been really good and wouldn’t shock me if they started to go on a little run

On 20/09/2023 at 18:02, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Sorry but I am really not getting your love in for Preston! They are the definition of mediocre in this division and will fall away once their luck runs out. You can see that simply by watching their games. Got nothing about them to suggest they will be challenging long term. 

You can call us lucky but we have a style of play and quality of player which suggests we will improve, there's only one way for PNE and that's down. 

As for Ipswich, they may be a little closer to the playoffs just purely based on being a more rounded team but I fully expect them to fall away too. 

A pat on the back for all of us who said Preston wouldn’t stay the course and wouldn’t be long in dropping down the table, as opposed to just blindly following the league table

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1