Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Ipswich deserve massive praise. Maresca has been sensational and we are the best team, but it was likely we would be extremely competitive no matter who was in charge. Though you must say dodging Russell Martin was huge for the club. 

Kieran McKenna rightly deserves plaudits. Won 27 of his last 30 games across two divisions and beaten Premier League teams. They play great stuff and are riding high, all on a much more conservative budget. It’s possible for us as fans to support our own club and admire the job of others and it’s admiration I have for Ipswich. 

McKenna was interviewed for the job here but signed a new contract with Ipswich. There is a parallel timeline where he was appointed here and I suspect would also have done very well. Like Enzo, he is destined for greater things. 

I can’t see them matching us simply because their squad isn’t as deep as ours. That’s the unfair advantage we have over everyone else! But the games between the two teams should be thrilling. 

Other than the top two, Sunderland after a slow start have started to turn it on and have some very promising young players. Jack Clarke their star man so far. And Leeds are the ominous team to watch out for. Farke is proven at this level and they are building momentum. Their start is what I thought we’d see here, dropped points in the opening 10 but clearly on the right path. 

Although not a direct threat to is, Boro are starting to find some form despite their poor start.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Ipswich deserve massive praise. Maresca has been sensational and we are the best team, but it was likely we would be extremely competitive no matter who was in charge. Though you must say dodging Russell Martin was huge for the club. 

Kieran McKenna rightly deserves plaudits. Won 27 of his last 30 games across two divisions and beaten Premier League teams. They play great stuff and are riding high, all on a much more conservative budget. It’s possible for us as fans to support our own club and admire the job of others and it’s admiration I have for Ipswich. 

McKenna was interviewed for the job here but signed a new contract with Ipswich. There is a parallel timeline where he was appointed here and I suspect would also have done very well. Like Enzo, he is destined for greater things. 

I can’t see them matching us simply because their squad isn’t as deep as ours. That’s the unfair advantage we have over everyone else! But the games between the two teams should be thrilling. 

Other than the top two, Sunderland after a slow start have started to turn it on and have some very promising young players. Jack Clarke their star man so far. And Leeds are the ominous team to watch out for. Farke is proven at this level and they are building momentum. Their start is what I thought we’d see here, dropped points in the opening 10 but clearly on the right path. 

I think Maresca deserves more credit tbh. I think we can see in other teams how easy it is to get it wrong. 

I also still don't think Leeds will make top 2 nor will saints why Russel Martins in charge. Sunderland have a good shout though sadly for me. 

• Like 1

On 24/09/2023 at 13:18, Corky said:

I know this division gets knocked for its quality but it does allow promising coaches to develop. You can see Rosenior, McKenna and Schumacher in particular having decent careers.

I even think the league isnt that much worse quality than lower EPL, the main difference is EPL teams tend to have much more clinical front players and have better defensive play but the overall quality of the game doesnt feel much different.

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yeah Leeds and Sunderland I see as the two main threats outside of Ipswich and Preston.  Very grateful for our current buffer.

• Like 1

Good to equal our total wins last season in just 10 games. 69 points was enough for play offs last season so we are 39% of the way there and technically 84 would have been enough for automatic promotion last year, so we are 32% of the way there in early October. 

Ipswich look tasty, a nice gap between us and 3rd helps if the wheels do start falling off. I am forever a pessimist so not going to say we look a shoe in. There is always the chance of something going sideways, but I hope not. 

30 minutes ago, Noahfence said:

What are the championship records for Goals scored, least conceded, cleans sheets etc? Just out of curiosity 

Since it became the Championship:

Goals scored - Fulham, 106 goals in 21/22

Clean sheets - Preston, 24 in 05/06 (Carlo Nash); Swansea, 24 in 09/10 (Dorus De Vries); QPR, 24 in 10/11 (Paddy Kenny); Wolves, 24 in 17/18 (John Ruddy); 

Fewest goals conceded - Watford, 30 in 20/21

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Clean sheets - Preston, 24 in 05/06 (Carlo Nash); Swansea, 24 in 09/10 (Dorus De Vries); QPR, 24 in 10/11 (Paddy Kenny); Wolves, 24 in 17/18 (John Ruddy); 

Most wins us and Reading with 31, hopefully we can beat that.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Don’t want to get carried away but hopefully we get close to breaking a few of these 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Don't fully get some of the shit we're taking from clubs about how much our squads worth. 

Most importantly, it’s because we’re doing well.

Also, rather than us, they’re rallying against modern football and how big the gap is getting between the Prem and Championship. We haven’t spent big at all in comparison to the levels we’ve been operating at, but it’s still light years ahead of the clubs we’re playing week in, week out.

Who is the player with the largest fee we have in the current squad? Iheanacho at £25m? Most are £15-£10m. Peanuts for even mid-Premier. Preston’s record transfer fee paid is £2.5m.

5 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Most importantly, it’s because we’re doing well.

Also, rather than us, they’re rallying against modern football and how big the gap is getting between the Prem and Championship. We haven’t spent big at all in comparison to the levels we’ve been operating at, but it’s still light years ahead of the clubs we’re playing week in, week out.

Who is the player with the largest fee we have in the current squad? Iheanacho at £25m? Most are £15-£10m. Peanuts for even mid-Premier. Preston’s record transfer fee paid is £2.5m.

On paper we have the highest market value of players since the inception of the championship circa 2004-2005, so I can understand the envy and bitter comments from opposition fans, anyway we just have to focus on ourselves and just get promoted this season which we will do if we avoid complacency.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

Earliest time a team has got promoted to the premier league is Reading game 40 on 25th March 2006, funnily enough against us!

Edited by Happy Fox

9 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yeah any other season and Ipswich are 5/6 points clear of 2nd having won 8 of their first 10. It's ridiculous how well they've done. The fact is that arguably the best squad the Championship has ever had is the only thing stopping that.

• Like 2