Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

21 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Actually Boro looked a distant second best until Sunderland went a man down.

But it’s These turns..with 4 goals that turns seasons & shows what a team has inside them..

Npt forgetting Sunderland I pinged also as one of my favourites for top 3-6…

Ipswich win 4-2. Can't believe Preston are third in this god forsaken league.

Southampton dropping points at home to Rotherham is terrible 

Sheffield Wednesday 0-0 Huddersfield. Both probably going down.

Coventry sitting 13th afternoon grabbing a late equaliser against Norwich.

The results I’m looking for at the moment are Ipswich and Leeds. I think those two might be the closest to us this season. As I’ve got no idea about Ipswich I can’t judge whether they’ll be able to last the pace, but I’m fairly sure Leeds will. 

I’m also happy to keep putting points between us and Southampton. They have too many good players not to put it right at some point. I’m just hoping we’re already long in the distance by time that happens 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

The results I’m looking for at the moment are Ipswich and Leeds. I think those two might be the closest to us this season. As I’ve got no idea about Ipswich I can’t judge whether they’ll be able to last the pace, but I’m fairly sure Leeds will. 

I’m also happy to keep putting points between us and Southampton. They have too many good players not to put it right at some point. I’m just hoping we’re already long in the distance by time that happens 

As long as Southampton have that fraud in charge, they are Play-off chasers at best.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Koke said:

Ipswich win 4-2. Can't believe Preston are third in this god forsaken league.

Southampton dropping points at home to Rotherham is terrible 

Sheffield Wednesday 0-0 Huddersfield. Both probably going down.

Coventry sitting 13th afternoon grabbing a late equaliser against Norwich.

It’s not that hard to believe Preston are 3rd when it’s so early on, you only need the rub of the green in a few games to be up there when it’s so congested by nature. Happens every season with a different side, they’ll fall away. There’s genuine quality in Sunderland, Boro and Leeds and I’d imagine all 3 will be in the play offs come May. We are class regardless but I’m pleased we’re so distanced from them already. 

If we have a massive gap come January, it gives us huge potential as we then have almost 2 windows to get the club premiership ready. Players that wouldn't sign for a championship club usually, may do if Promotion looks massively nailed on.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

I can’t help but be chuffed for Ipswich. I hope that they can stick with us (but not too close). 

Yeah same. Unbelievable effort from a promoted club. They're just unlucky that they're in the league at the same time as this Leicester juggernaut 

Having now won more league this season than the whole of last the one is barmy and just shows the woeful level of competition in the Championship.

But you can only play what's in front of you. Up the City!!

Edited by David Hankey

Us and Ipswich top is the ideal scenario, would be delighted if it finished this way. 

I have a huge soft spot for Ipswich, with the exception of a few years of Mick Mccarthy and budgets being decimated under their previous owner they've usually been an exciting footballing side and a real football hot-spot in an area of the country not known for great sides - their fans deserve this after so long in the doldrums. 

Up the blue armies. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Preston last three games 

P 3 W 0 D 0 L 3 F 2 A 11 pts 0 

Still 3rd 

In fairness, the top 3 including Preston, had pulled away a bit until last week. They are now within one result of dropping down to 10th place given their goal difference. 

Just had the gap closed now.

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

They're just unlucky that they're in the league at the same time as this Leicester juggernaut 

Very unlucky to get as many points as they did and not win the league last season, looks like same could happen again 😂

1 hour ago, Langston said:

It’s not that hard to believe Preston are 3rd when it’s so early on, you only need the rub of the green in a few games to be up there when it’s so congested by nature. Happens every season with a different side, they’ll fall away. There’s genuine quality in Sunderland, Boro and Leeds and I’d imagine all 3 will be in the play offs come May. We are class regardless but I’m pleased we’re so distanced from them already. 

It's the championship just doing championship things.

Preston sit in 3rd with a negative goal difference. Middlesbrough after a horrendous start have now picked up 13 points from their last 15 available. 

Just been to a family gathering, the wife's cousins husband is an Ipswich fan, he's absolutely delighted, and although I sensed a slight air of cautious pessimism, he's worried that an injury or 2 could soon derail them. 

The gulf in class, and financial power, from 17th in the Premier League downwards is absolutely on show as we've approached this almost 1/4 way through the season, but if we keep going this way then it wouldn't be a good advert for the English tiered system, to be 10 points ahead of 3rd after 11 games is save and reset Football Manager stuff.

Thought Stoke were abysmal today, and if every other team comes to our place like they did then they conceded the game before they've even got off the coach. I thought we'd be treated to a more open game after we scored, but they stick rigidly to their game plan and were seemingly very happy to just keep the score down, embarrassing really, and other than that effort after the 2nd half kicked off, they didn't threaten at all

25 minutes ago, Harboro said:

Very unlucky to get as many points as they did and not win the league last season, looks like same could happen again 😂

I don't think they'll care if they get back to back promotions. 

Still can't see it though. 

Us on the other hand... Would be extremely surprised if we're not in the top 2. However an injury to someone like Winks could cause huge problems so let's not get ahead of ourselves. 

• Like 1