Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

Birmingham showed the rest of the league just how to play against possession based teams like Ipswich & us. They were unlucky not to take all 3 points.

That aggressive high press might not be sustainable all game but Birmingham demonstrated if you can force turnovers & take the chances the game is there to be won.  We might well face more of this going forward.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

26 is still a good age to buy for with an eye to getting some good years out of him for PL. 

Hamer is doing well in PL with Sheff Utd and he's 26 too. 

Vardy was 27 by the time we got promoted :ph34r:

Yeah of course, but Vards was a bit of a freak :punk:

I just think in that age bracket you need to be pretty confident they can step up, unless you pay peanuts for them like we did with Vardy. Not sure what sort of fee QPR would want for him, but if you can spend £5-8 million for him it could be a good value but if they try to drag us in the the £12-15 mil bracket i would be a little concerned. 

I still think January is an interesting window. I think, certainly with Alves and Braybrook potentially being available next year, we have a squad that should get promoted without adding anything really.  Maybe Daka out and someone more creative in. The question for me is do we buy championship level players who we feel have a higher ceiling, buy established championship players, or take risks on players we know are ready for the PL but will cost more.

We also have to start thinking long term with Vardy, Nacho, Ndidi, Vestergaard and Praet all out of contract at the end of the season. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bablemikey said:

Birmingham showed the rest of the league just how to play against possession based teams like Ipswich & us. They were unlucky not to take all 3 points.

That aggressive high press might not be sustainable all game but Birmingham demonstrated if you can force turnovers & take the chances the game is there to be won.  We might well face more of this going forward.

Leeds showed how it's done. Don't get suckered in by Mads and Vesty standing on ball. Cut off the passing lanes to Winks, Ricardo and KDH. Wait for the square ball to Faes and Justin and that triggers the press.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

That's 30 goals conceded by Norwich now. Rate of 2 per game. They're not going to win many if they have to score at least 3 most games

Sounds like us for the majority of last season lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Sounds like us for the majority of last season lol

Hope I'm not jinxing this, and it may partly be because Championship strikers aren't as clinical, but we've yet to concede more than 1 goal in any league game so far this season. Our goals against sequence is in perfect binary - 1,0,1,1,1,1,0,0,1,0,0,1,0,1,1

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Hope I'm not jinxing this, and it may partly be because Championship strikers aren't as clinical, but we've yet to concede more than 1 goal in any league game so far this season. Our goals against sequence is in perfect binary - 1,0,1,1,1,1,0,0,1,0,0,1,0,1,1

Quite incredible really. 

Despite the moaning at the ground I hear about how we always concede every game. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

Think the way Leeds played will become a blue print for many sides against us including Boro next weekend. 

Want to see us at times bypass it altogether and be slightly more direct like we did v Sunderland. 

Thankfully most teams don’t have the attacking players Leeds do. You’re right though and it could suit us to be fair. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazza M said:

Think the way Leeds played will become a blue print for many sides against us including Boro next weekend. 

Want to see us at times bypass it altogether and be slightly more direct like we did v Sunderland. 

If most teams play that way against us we’ll beat most teams, Leeds team is probably the 2nd best in the division. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Gabriel Sara would fit in to our team tremendously. He has the technical ability, creativity and ability to score from central midfield. He's also strong and energetic, him and KDH with Winks would be interesting.

Reckon he’s available in January?