Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

17 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Southampton have quietly flown up the table. 

Fair play to Martin, loads wanted him gone not so long ago. 

If you look at numbers like possession metrics and xG differential (xG loves possession) Southampton have been the best team in the league.  Those stats aren't perfect obviously, but there may be some bad luck (or bad coaching) baked into them not being even higher.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

If you look at numbers like possession metrics and xG differential (xG loves possession) Southampton have been the best team in the league.  Those stars aren't perfect obviously, but there may be some bad luck (or bad coaching) baked into them not being even higher.

Cream rising to the top. Think Leicester, Ipswich, Leeds and Southampton will be fighting over the title/automatics. Obviously we've got a big gap though...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

They are bang in trouble for promotion and with parachute payments drying up, he's probably more attainable for a reasonable price than he was last summer. 

He is linked with Atleti and West Ham though isn’t he? Might be a struggle 

I thought it would be interesting for us to see how many of the Top 6 teams atm, upcoming fixtures against Top 6 teams.  Thankfully we are only playing one team in the Top 6 in the next 5 games, so hopefully we can have a near perfect run.

Leicester City

West Bromwich Albion away (2nd December 2023)

Ipswich

West Bromwich Albion away (25th November 2023)

Leeds

No fixtures.

Southampton

West Bromwich Albion home (11th November 2023)

West Bromwich Albion

Southampton away (11th November 2023)

Ipswich home (25th November 2023)

Leicester City home (2nd December 2023)

Preston

No fixtures.

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

If you look at numbers like possession metrics and xG differential (xG loves possession) Southampton have been the best team in the league.  Those stats aren't perfect obviously, but there may be some bad luck (or bad coaching) baked into them not being even higher.

Southampton have been bloody woeful at times this season. They may have had an uplift in form, but they’re not even close to the best team in the league - all this proves is XG is a crap stat that means feck all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't know where others are getting their stats from, but according to fbref we have the highest xG and the lowest xGA. Southampton are lagging quite a ways behind us in both metrics. How anyone can say with a straight face that Southampton have been the best team, whether that be through the eyeball test or through stats, is beyond me.

Screenshot_20231106-1229452.png.46015b72b07af7487dd60e703f699e51.png

• Like 4

9 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Even if Leeds won their next 10, we would have to take less than 1.9 pts a game for them to be level. 

So we would have to have a worse record than 6 wins, 1 Draw, and 3 losses and they would need to win 10 

I think we're the only club that has the luxury of worrying about winning the league.  All the other contenders are going to be 100% focused on automatic promotion.

12 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Southampton have been bloody woeful at times this season. They may have had an uplift in form, but they’re not even close to the best team in the league - all this proves is XG is a crap stat that means feck all.

Aus fox, that comes in hard  & brings reality with a Roo bounce, swish of a tail & boxing KO, to all XG inbalanced, slide-rule theory stats. 

Never let's us down a true swagmans approach impeccably enlightening.. 

One feels easy sharing one's tucker chewing ideas siting around the billibong.. 

• Haha 1

The Leicester DNA, inbred doubt that follows us through our life, no matter how wide we spread or wings or what far corners our wild oats fall... 

Instead of feeling exstatic, relaxed, but humble.. We have that dark corner & art, that throws up a cynical doubt, that somehow others are.. Shit, crap, but appear better & seem to sell themselves and their  approach in a more welcoming light. 

We are so scared of ourselves and can't compute, what great success we are experiencing even recorded on paper showing & proving we have the audacity to be mixing it with the more favourable.. We even use apologistic excuses to belittle our very own high achievements... 

We shouldn't stand arrogant or entitled, 

But this Season WE Will remain the team to beat, more importantly even with hiccups & twists in our clubs new found system and astainability, others will insist in making their own noise above their own capabilites.

Plus our own snowflakes will keep pointing out, our perceived weaknesses,& strengths do not hold up or not comparable to any of our Championship opponnents

Individual Game, or over the season challenges..

When we win, there seems so many that will want to throw in the proverbial BUT!! 

We concern & worry about something (PL) where actually we have no right to ponder over, especially when using it, to disassociate & demean our real time & present Season achievements.. 

The bogeyman is always around the corner, we prefer to look at the negative permutations, instead of standing tall by believing we have the better alround resources in Management-team, squad & potential on field reinvestment. 

We underestimate our own still being written story, cynically insistent others will be a better read.

After all the above shit, I prefer to embrace the moment, each stop or breezy flow of the present journey & not the misteries of fate or potential breakdowns will prevent me enjoying the challenges we have.. 

I don't care how our opponents create their challenge, or come close to wallowing in Our slipstream, I know & have the Confidence, we have the right mind-set and character to keep us above the yapping of those irratating opponents claims of footing. 

These next 3-4 game scenarios, will throw down the gauntlet, opponents in 2-4 positions, will be Seen off, we might suffer some close cuts,with opponents favourable fixtures but Enzo-squad, will have that character and that. +1 attitude & progressive aptitude to face upto it. 

We are still well provisioned & equipped for a successful long expedition  & journey including those unexpected detours.. 

Those top 8 positions and opponents behind us are in for a more turbulent journey with surprising turnaounds. 

Edited by fuchsntf

3 hours ago, Sly said:

Automatics are between Leeds and Leicester. 

Ipswich will fall away over Christmas I expect. 

At present, we might well have issues in January and February when Ndidi, Iheanacho, Daka and possibly Fatawu go to AFCON.

• Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

At present, we might well have issues in January and February when Ndidi, Iheanacho, Daka and possibly Fatawu go to AFCON.

Solid point in fairness. 

Some talk Ndidi and Iheanacho may be off in the January transfer window, and if they don't sign new contracts before January, we may have to make a case for their departures as opposed to letting them both leave as free agents come next Summer.

4 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Some talk Ndidi and Iheanacho may be off in the January transfer window, and if they don't sign new contracts before January, we may have to make a case for their departures as opposed to letting them both leave as free agents come next Summer.

Let them go for peanuts in January and potentially derail our bid for promotion, or keep them until the end of the season and accept the possibility of them leaving on a free once we've achieved promotion? Yeah, it's a tough one alright....

@Ric Flair

Just had a look at AFCON with the help of the World Wide Web (Google).

Us - Ndidi, Iheanacho, Fatawu, Daka

Ipswich - Morsy, 

Leeds - No one

Southampton - Sulemana, Aribo, 

Middlesborough - Latte Laff, Dieng, 

WBA - Dianagne, Ajayi, 

Watford - Louza, Kayembe, 

Hull - Traoe, Seri, 

Stoke - Leris, Noukeu, 

Huddlesfield - Adams, 

Bristol - Mehmeti, 

Cardiff - Collins, 

Plymouth - Bundu

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Hmm. Daka hasn't featured and Nacho isn't indispensable right now. Fatawu will be a big loss but we do have other wingers to utilise, but he is a maverick. Ndidi definitely a loss but we will hopefully have Yunis fit and Casadei has to start kicking on around January.

It's not going to be ideal for sure, but i don't think it leaves any gaping holes in there. We can see right now how me miss Ndidi so that's my biggest worry. 

9 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Let them go for peanuts in January and potentially derail our bid for promotion, or keep them until the end of the season and accept the possibility of them leaving on a free once we've achieved promotion? Yeah, it's a tough one alright....

Depends on what we get offered.  If we are offered peanuts then I agree, but if we get offered a decent fee for Nacho we should definitely consider it.  He did improve for a few games but he is not indispensable in this system. Ndidi i would hang on to and try to get a new deal sorted.

2 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Depends on what we get offered.  If we are offered peanuts then I agree, but if we get offered a decent fee for Nacho we should definitely consider it.  He did improve for a few games but he is not indispensable in this system. Ndidi i would hang on to and try to get a new deal sorted.

He's our top scorer and the best striker at the club who can play with back to goal, drop deep and bring in other players. Better than Vardy in that role. Admittedly don't think any of his goals have directly resulted in points though. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Well if we sold them in January, I doubt it will be for 'peanuts'.

If we get good offers I imagine it will be a tough one.

6 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

He's our top scorer and the best striker at the club who can play with back to goal, drop deep and bring in other players. Better than Vardy in that role. Admittedly don't think any of his goals have directly resulted in points though. 

He's joint top with KDH is he not? We have quite a wide spread of scorers, and Kasey is one behind Nacho even though he's been out injured for a while. Nacho isn't running away with it, and you really don't know if you are going to get the version of Nacho where is just bounces off him or not. He's not indispensable if the right offer comes in and we think we can source the right replacement.

1 minute ago, Chelmofox said:

He's joint top with KDH is he not? We have quite a wide spread of scorers, and Kasey is one behind Nacho even though he's been out injured for a while. Nacho isn't running away with it, and you really don't know if you are going to get the version of Nacho where is just bounces off him or not. He's not indispensable if the right offer comes in and we think we can source the right replacement.

I'd just worry about going down to 'only' Vardy and Cannon as forward options. 

KDH, McAteer and Vardy all on 5 goals. Iheanacho is on 6.