Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

7 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

There was never any way us and Ipswich could keep up our ridiculous starts to the season. In the Championship there is always strange results, I remember going to the Hawthorns in the season we were relegated and WBA were flying and we beat them 4-1. There will be a lot of freak results along the way.

The question is, is anyone in the chasing back good enough to win 12 or more points than us over 31 games? 

No. 

We will be the runaway league winners. Southampton are some how quietly making it a 3 way fight for the next 2 spots. 

2 hours ago, Adster said:

Ipswich were poor but still should have won really. 

2 stone-wall penaltys not given to them in this game. 

Swings and round abouts.

They should have been down to 10 men the game before.

Luck has a habit of evening itself out.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Yeah put simply, both teams had a plan, Leeds successfully executed theirs and we didn't execute ours! 

Don't think it's quite right to say they battered us, but it's also not right to claim it was a tight 0-0 game that fell Leeds' way. They simply outplayed us. 

I think some fans think admitting that, is the same as admitting leeds are a better side than us…. they’re not. The table doesn’t lie. 

They were better on the day, but if we play them 10 times, we’d win more 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

I’m not sure I agree with everyone’s take on this. They could and should have scored from about 3 other clear cut moments… but ricardo was just a super man. Don’t think we can seriously claim they just won by a fortunate fall of the ball. They’d earnt it imo. 

It’s the same as how i wouldn’t have a sunderland fan saying we only won because of a goal from a corner…. we also carved out 4/5 should have been goals that we just didn’t take, it’s the same thing imo. You don’t have to shoot for it to be considered a chance. Piroe, rutter and summerville were all through on goal and were just stopped before pulling  the trigger… on another day they all go in 

No difference in terms of subjectivity to the positions we got in to with Fatawu and Mavididi that broke down either through poor positional play from our players or quality positional play and defending from Leeds. Our expected assists stat shows the positions we got in were more dangerous than Leeds in that regard (Leeds chances / snuffed out chances by Ricardo came from passages of play less expected to result in an assist/goal).

Leeds just shaded it for me, but they are all lauding their performance as monumental and we don't think we played overly well, which tell its own story.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We should take that as a compliment. If they've played incredibly and beaten us by a fortuitous goal with neither side creating much else then I think that puts us in good stead.

They did make that point. That Leeds played the perfect way to beat us, at a level other teams in the championship wouldn't be able to and still only won 1-0

• Like 1

I’m still not all that impressed by Leeds, in the game against us they worked really hard off the ball, but I thought they were poor with the ball. 
The only chances they created were from our mistakes. 
Huge week for them, big win last week, they will need to follow it up this week. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Yeah put simply, both teams had a plan, Leeds successfully executed theirs and we didn't execute ours! 

Don't think it's quite right to say they battered us, but it's also not right to claim it was a tight 0-0 game that fell Leeds' way. They simply outplayed us. 

The difference was we had Soumare Mkll 'playing' for us. ie we were playing with 10.

16 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

I think some fans think admitting that, is the same as admitting leeds are a better side than us…. they’re not. The table doesn’t lie. 

They were better on the day, but if we play them 10 times, we’d win more 🤷‍♂️

At the end of the season it doesn't.  At this stage, the table really can lie and has lied many times before.  How many times have you seen a team have a flying start and then eventually reach their true level and finish in the playoffs or worse?  It seems to happen most seasons.  Of course, that's not the case with Leicester, you'll win the league comfortably.  It still doesn't mean that the table cannot be somewhat misleading at the 15 game point.

Leeds had a well publicised mess to sort out.  It took us time to get the manager and then more time to sort out all the want away players.  This team, as it is now, wasn't in place until September.   Since then, Leicester have taken just 4 more points than Leeds.  There is more.  We have also played our 3 most difficult fixtures already - the other present top 4 away.  I think you have only played 1 of them.  You've also played 1 more home game and 1 fewer away games to us.  How the fixtures fall can and will have a big impact over a relatively small pool of games at this stage.  So the table can certainly deceive.

I don't know if Leicester will prove to be a better team than Leeds by the end of May, from the Sept-May period.  My gut tells me that it'll probably be very close, maybe a couple of points between the teams.  That'll still be enough to ensure you're comfortably up and winning the league, IMO.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, weller54 said:

The difference was we had Soumare Mkll 'playing' for us. ie we were playing with 10.

I know you are prone to hyperbole, but I agree. Casadei was so poor we were effectively playing with 10 men. 

It was the manager's fault. He had to get hooked at half time. The damage was done by the time he got pulled.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

At the end of the season it doesn't.  At this stage, the table really can lie and has lied many times before.  How many times have you seen a team have a flying start and then eventually reach their true level and finish in the playoffs or worse?  It seems to happen most seasons.  Of course, that's not the case with Leicester, you'll win the league comfortably.  It still doesn't mean that the table cannot be somewhat misleading at the 15 game point.

Leeds had a well publicised mess to sort out.  It took us time to get the manager and then more time to sort out all the want away players.  This team, as it is now, wasn't in place until September.   Since then, Leicester have taken just 4 more points than Leeds.  There is more.  We have also played our 3 most difficult fixtures already - the other present top 4 away.  I think you have only played 1 of them.  You've also played 1 more home game and 1 fewer away games to us.  How the fixtures fall can and will have a big impact over a relatively small pool of games at this stage.  So the table can certainly deceive.

I don't know if Leicester will prove to be a better team than Leeds by the end of May, from the Sept-May period.  My gut tells me that it'll probably be very close, maybe a couple of points between the teams.  That'll still be enough to ensure you're comfortably up and winning the league, IMO.

While I don't disagree the table can be misleading (especially when the middle is so congested) your logic of...

"Let me find this arbitrary time frame to show that we are a better side than you, however please bear in mind that in this period you took more points than us" doesn't really strengthen your argument lol 

16 minutes ago, Langston said:

While I don't disagree the table can be misleading (especially when the middle is so congested) your logic of...

"Let me find this arbitrary time frame to show that we are a better side than you, however please bear in mind that in this period you took more points than us" doesn't really strengthen your argument lol 

It wasn't arbitrary.  Our August was a complete mess and comparing the team we had at the start of the season with the one we have now, makes no sense as it's a different and finally settled team now (another factor being that Maresca had a whole month longer with you than Farke has with us).  Comparing from September makes for a reasonable comparison between the two teams.  Then factor in match difficulty and number of home vs away matches and it paints a different picture than Leicester being an 11 point better team than Leeds.  That stat not lying was what I was contesting, not that Leeds are demonstrably better then Leicester.

I was just showing how the table can mislead.

• Like 3