Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

6 minutes ago, bovril said:

Can't believe we're in this division to be honest. We ****ed up so badly. 

We should hopefully win more matches than we lose next season, which wouldn't have been the case had we some how survived.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Yeah, but it's like pulling a big heffer on a night out. It's a win, but not one that inspires any self respect 

Depends how long you've been on a dry spell. When we won League 1 we finished 5th in the championship the following season whereas before that we'd finished 15th, 16th, 19th and 22nd in the championship. Pulling a rough en can sometimes bring u back in the game for better wins.

Edited by Beachyboy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

We should hopefully win more matches than we lose next season, which wouldn't have been the case had we some how survived.

We are capable of winning more matches than we lose in the PL, as we've seen. The worst thing about this is not just that we're in the 2nd division but that we shouldn't be here, it was easily avoidable. 

Generally though I agree with what you're saying, winning matches is always more fun. It's just - to use the analogy above - we were pulling models for years and then let our teeth fall out despite repeated warnings from our dentist ok maybe I'm taking this analogy too far

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Russell Martin joins Southampton to be replaced by Michael Duff .

All confirmed. Big shame for Barnsley but Duff, similar to Edwards, seems to move up divisions as soon as a job comes along.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

All confirmed. Big shame for Barnsley but Duff, similar to Edwards, seems to move up divisions as soon as a job comes along.

Shame. Always liked Duff when he was at Cheltenham, but now Duff is a Taff. 

And before anyone says it, my username refers to Darius "Jacki" Dzeikanowski. 😏

Edited by Superjack
To give him his proper name.

12 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Russell Martin joins Southampton to be replaced by Michael Duff .

You’re always a very level headed poster on here and have more experience on the current Championship so who would you predict to be strong next season? Will you be up there?

1 hour ago, promised land said:

You’re always a very level headed poster on here and have more experience on the current Championship so who would you predict to be strong next season? Will you be up there?

Watford won’t do much next season they have sold there best prospect to Brighton.

Probably mid table.

11 hours ago, Fox92 said:

The locals aren’t taking it too well in Barnsley this morning, apparently he had made comments in the press about how he was committed to the long term development of the club. I’d have taken him here. Will be interesting to see what he does at Swansea. Martin alluded that the club has ambitions of developing and selling players, not to be contending for promotion. If that’s the case maybe it’s a safe step up knowing your jobs not immediately under pressure if things aren’t going too well.

21 hours ago, Beachyboy said:

Depends how long you've been on a dry spell. When we won League 1 we finished 5th in the championship the following season whereas before that we'd finished 15th, 16th, 19th and 22nd in the championship. Pulling a rough en can sometimes bring u back in the game for better wins.

They are called slump busters for a reason... 

Swansea will do well this year I think Duff is better than Martin, probably done the Swans a favour. Funny enough at Barnsley, the manager that beat them in the play off final Darren Moore, could be their next manager. Which i'd be tempted to put money on. 

1 hour ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

The locals aren’t taking it too well in Barnsley this morning, apparently he had made comments in the press about how he was committed to the long term development of the club. I’d have taken him here. Will be interesting to see what he does at Swansea. Martin alluded that the club has ambitions of developing and selling players, not to be contending for promotion. If that’s the case maybe it’s a safe step up knowing your jobs not immediately under pressure if things aren’t going too well.

Be interested to know when these were, he probably thought they would get up in the play offs, in which case their upward movement would be his also.

On 23/06/2023 at 10:25, Leicesterpool said:

Swansea will do well this year I think Duff is better than Martin, probably done the Swans a favour. Funny enough at Barnsley, the manager that beat them in the play off final Darren Moore, could be their next manager. Which i'd be tempted to put money on. 

Darren Moore should hold fire until a Championship job comes up, he's good enough for one

On 22/06/2023 at 12:30, Paninistickers said:

Yeah, but it's like pulling a big heffer on a night out. It's a win, but not one that inspires any self respect 

It’s a win until you actually do the deed, realise how far you’ve fallen, hate yourself and then end up having to find another.

*** No disrespect meant towards heffers… it’s just what Tom Hopper would’ve wanted for our club. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I've got a feeling Sunderland might go up. They're a club moving in the right direction at last.

They will be in the mix but nowadays Mowbray has a habit of failing away. Did it at Blackburn too, always top 6 but end up missing out.

On 23/06/2023 at 09:02, LcFc_Smiv said:

It's tough for a club like Barnsley. They always have their assets taken from them because of the size of the club. They've had plenty enough good players and managers in recent years but just can't keep hold of them.

• Like 1

I said to my mate who is a massive Rovers fan I think the top 5 in no particular order will be:

Us

Blackburn

Sunderland

Middlesborough

Ipswich

He is pretty adamant they won’t be in contention for top 6, he also thinks Middlesborough will flop big time.  I’m excited for this season it’s going to be competitive.

• Haha 1

Guest Col city fan
6 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

I said to my mate who is a massive Rovers fan I think the top 5 in no particular order will be:

Us

Blackburn

Sunderland

Middlesborough

Ipswich

He is pretty adamant they won’t be in contention for top 6, he also thinks Middlesborough will flop big time.  I’m excited for this season it’s going to be competitive.

Huge call that. We’ll have to see how you get on.

Personally, I think the Saints, Leeds, and Norwich will have something to say about that.