Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

2 hours ago, Pub breath said:

Well the point of XG is exactly that. If you had 10 low quality shots, then the data used tells them that they have a 1/10 probability of going in.  So if you were able to carve out 10 shooting chances in a game, you would actually expect 1 to go in, based on the known data.  In that scenario, the team did indeed deserve a goal, for creating 10 low quality shooting opportunities.

XG or expected points etc are obviously not perfect but they do often provide useful pointers to teams having an unlucky/lucky run.  I've seen many occasions when teams have been over perfoming vs XG/XP and then eventually hit the buffers.  This data isn't suggesting Leicester don't deserve their points total but more that Leeds deserved more.  That's part of football, unless you are suggesting that Leicester have never had a run of results where they felt unlucky not to pick more points up?

2 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

It is about as useful as the 3 year PL table… I would rather trophies thank you, just like I would rather goals scored 

I’m with foxes rule here.

Give me goals scored, points and trophies all day long!

8 hours ago, Pub breath said:

It wasn't arbitrary.  Our August was a complete mess and comparing the team we had at the start of the season with the one we have now, makes no sense as it's a different and finally settled team now (another factor being that Maresca had a whole month longer with you than Farke has with us).  Comparing from September makes for a reasonable comparison between the two teams.  Then factor in match difficulty and number of home vs away matches and it paints a different picture than Leicester being an 11 point better team than Leeds.  That stat not lying was what I was contesting, not that Leeds are demonstrably better then Leicester.

I was just showing how the table can mislead.

i get your points but in this case it just doesn’t appear to be lying at all.

We are well on top in our games and doing so with a rotation of players. It’s not like preston who were getting a slice of luck along the way. 

Yes Leeds are improved, yes they should probably finish second… But the point gap we have is huge and we had just as big of a rebuild to do as yourselves. 

Have you considered that in such a tight table the reason some of the sides are higher is because they haven’t had to play us yet? 

Sunderland and norwich for example we’re doing well until they played us. 

I personally think there’s been enough games played to accurately assess the squads ability.  will there be bumps along the way…. absolutely and other factors will contribute to where we end up. 

But as of right now, i’d back us to more consistently pick up points than yourselves. But i’m happy for you that your fan base is backing themselves and also has that feel good feeling back because you’ve also had a rough few years. 

6 hours ago, Lewis's Junior said:

xT (expected Trophies)

Oh, still 0 actually. 

Spurs are a fascinating statistical anomaly with their infinite xTD (Expected Trophies Differential)

xT (expected trophies)  /  TW (trophies won)

… dividing by zero, you get … infinity.  Theoretically impossible, but there it is.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

The more teams in and around Leeds the better.

Still fancy Blackburn will finish closer to the play offs than Preston mind.

there’s always a side that you don’t expect to sneak in though. People would have said this about both luton and cov last season